Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place to live in Toronto Downtown ?

Best place to live in Toronto Downtown ?

Old Jan 19th 2014, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

toniochen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best place to live in Toronto Downtown ?

Hi,

Currently considering an opportunity to live and work in Toronto, my wife and 2 year old son would come over as well. Would work in financial district and therefore would be keen to live as close as possible to Toronto downtown at least for the first year, then we would have more time to consider other places more suitable to get more space, get better public school for the education of our son etc...

Any good place where we would live in Toronto downtown ?

Thanks,
Old Jan 19th 2014, 4:36 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to live in Toronto Downtown ?

Bellair near Bloor and bay is nice. Not cheap, but very nice area.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

The further out you live the cheaper it will be. The Yonge & Eglington area might be an idea as you just have to jump on the subway down to the financial district (my brother lived there when he worked in the financial district).
Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:30 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

There is not really many bad areas in Downtown Toronto.

If you want more residential and don't mind using transit then definitely Yonge and Eg or on the Bloor/ Danforth line.

If you want a nice walk to work there are plenty of condo's in my neighbourhood near Front and Spadina. 2 bedroom condo's are typically in the $2000 to $2500 per month range.

Bay and Bloor is a little more lucrative and probably will cost a little more in rent.

What ever condo you look at be sure to negotiate. I have never paid the advertised rate for a condo. I've always been able to knock 10 to 15 percent off.

If you do look in my area I know a realtor who can take your specifications and line up 7 or 8 viewings in an evening. He is also a pretty good negotiator. It can take the hassle out of trying to call around and arrange the bookings yourself and certainly made my life easier.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
The further out you live the cheaper it will be. The Yonge & Eglington area might be an idea as you just have to jump on the subway down to the financial district (my brother lived there when he worked in the financial district).
+1

I also lived at Yonge/Eglinton. Great area. I didn't work downtown but my wife did and it was an easy walk (or a short hop on the #97 bus) to the Eglinton subway station. We also went downtown for many different events e.g. sports, concerts, theatre, etc.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Cabbagetown. Most of the other places mentioned are inner suburbs. Cabbagetown is actually in Toronto, you could walk to work.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

toniochen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamesM
If you want a nice walk to work there are plenty of condo's in my neighbourhood near Front and Spadina. 2 bedroom condo's are typically in the $2000 to $2500 per month range.
Right now this would be my first option, I'd like to walk to the office as I believe it's really a massive life changing factor in terms of stress and daily ability to spend time with family...I have seen a few interesting places in Spadina, I am not sure about any other places, a lot of the "waterfront" places seems south west and start to be quite far away for a walk... Do you mind PM the name of the Realtor you were mentioning...
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:07 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toniochen
Right now this would be my first option, I'd like to walk to the office as I believe it's really a massive life changing factor in terms of stress and daily ability to spend time with family...I have seen a few interesting places in Spadina, I am not sure about any other places, a lot of the "waterfront" places seems south west and start to be quite far away for a walk... Do you mind PM the name of the Realtor you were mentioning...
Anything west of Bathurst probably becomes a little too far to walk in the extreme cold or heat. My building just west (about 200 yards) of Spadina to Bay & Wellington is a 20 minute walk above ground. There is also some coverage of the walk by the underground path system too which can be useful in the extreme cold.

I have walked to work my last 3 years and it is one of the best qualities of life you can have if you are a working person.

I'll PM you the Realtors details when I get in from the office later. I know Jimmy Simmons (Realtor) from the local pub and he lives in the area so will look after you as if you move in he knows you'll see him around :-)

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 20th 2014 at 8:11 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If that's what you like, look also at the area around the (St. Lawrence) market. It's a bit short on green space which is why we eventually moved out to the Beach but it's handy for everything else.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:19 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with JamesM. I also live in the CityPlace complex, though on the east side of Spadina rather than the west, right beside the Rogers Centre. For me it's a 13 minute walk to Adelaide and University where my office is. Financial centre, 20 minutes. I can get into the PATH system in a 4 minute walk and be indoors the rest of the time and underground if I wish. Anywhere on the waterfront is close easy walking to downtown as long as you don't pass Bathurst. We've been in this neighbourhood six and a half years and I wouldn't want to live elsewhere. More than happy here.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:35 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

All the aforementioned places are nice and all that, lived beside the Rogers Center myself in the past, but not exactly conducive to raising a kid(s)

However, nice locations to get to work and no need for a car
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We are on Queens Quay on the HarborFront...my SIL works in the financial district...a 20 min walk to and from his office.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We are on Queens Quay on the HarborFront...my SIL works in the financial district...a 20 min walk to and from his office.
I'm sure all these places are lovely but, if you can live north of the Gardiner, you can save yourself a walk to work and to restaurants and bars. You'd need a well placed high floor apartment to have a view of the lake but, if you could find one, you'd have a lot at your doorstep. I'd cheerfully move back to the Esplanade, or to Market Square. The other side of the highway, not so much.

(Excepting the actual Queen's Quay, of course, a place on top of that mall would be worth the trouble of having one's driver carry one back and forth for every meal).

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 21st 2014 at 2:05 am.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

..I have seen a few interesting places in Spadina,
The nice thing about Spadina is that you can pretend that you're in Hong Kong.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:15 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The nice thing about Spadina is that you can pretend that you're in Hong Kong.

And just like Hong Kong, there is an Island airport nearby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.