Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place in Canada to move to?

Best place in Canada to move to?

Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best place in Canada to move to?

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
I know there are a great number of places to look at, just wanted a general feedback

If you type in the best place to live in Canada, it nearly always comes up with Calgary, so I just wanted a general feedback from expats in Canada as to their view! thanks for suggestions anyway
Vast country, many climates, languages and landscapes. We chose Calgary for the Rockies, the growing economy, the sunshine and the dry air. But really anywhere has its positives and negatives. And irrelevantly, Calgary is exactly the same latitude as Newbury.

Calgary is a fit for us, but if you don't like winter sports, love the beach and like touring vineyards, it won't suit you.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RockiesFellow
Calgary is a fit for us, but if you don't like winter sports, love the beach and like touring vineyards, it won't suit you.
The beach? Did they scoot Calgary over to the ocean since I was last there?
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:17 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I read that to mean that if any of the below apply

i) You don't like winter sports
ii) You love the beach
iii) You like touring vinyards

then calgary is not the place to live. But now I'm not so sure as it is a bit ambiguous.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005

ii) You love the beach

then calgary is not the place to live. But now I'm not so sure as it is a bit ambiguous.
No, you're right, that's exactly what I meant
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:31 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
Just near mountains and lakes so I can get out on my bike

I don't want to live in a huge crowded city. Small town near beautiful scenery!
I live here in Kamloops, BC. if you like mountains and biking you should check it out.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Danny B
I live here in Kamloops, BC. if you like mountains and biking you should check it out.
Thanks, will do
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Seaton
Hi,

Take your time, but 'do your homework' as there are many horror stories from UK people in Okotoks, who have since returned to the UK for all-sorts of reasons - some good - some incredible!

Having been here since 2009, and experienced working with Canadians, its certainly been an education that's for sure!

My advice to anyone coming here is this, forget the clear blue skies, forget the mountains, forget the lakes - yes its all beautiful, but look at living within the Canadian infrastructure as to where you will work.

Discrimination here is rife, if they have a Canadian worker here who hasn't a clue, and drinks coffee all day, and doesn't give a damn about the job - he'll get hired over an outsider (UK) who is switched on any day of the week.

I saw this happen many times within the company I work for - other Brits have said it too.

If I were you, I'd look in other sections on here who have perhaps returned to the UK, and worked in your profession to give you some real tips of how it works here - and why they returned of course.

S
I will take a look - thanks for the advice!!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You don't need an ocean to have a beach.

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/article...hes-in-calgary
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005

ii) You love the beach

Ah, got it. Careless reading. Ta.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You don't need an ocean to have a beach.

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/article...hes-in-calgary
Er, yes, I lived in the neighbourhood of Toronto called "The Beach" for a couple of decades. There's no ocean in Toronto (at least, not south of Bloor, there may be anything up with the dragons).