Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ?

Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ?

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 1:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ?

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
if you can get a $70K+ salary in Calgary you'll get a damn site more than a one bedroom apartment, more like a 2,000 sq ft home and two nice vehicles without too much of a stretch
I think maybe you are misquoting some of the previous replies here $70k will get you a lot more than a one bed appt in TO as well, plus you get weather that wont drive you insane, with the possible bonus of politics and social policies that arent quite so far to the right of Ghengis Khan as you get in Alberta (although obviously some people like that about Alberta).
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:01 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
(although obviously some people like that about Alberta).
Yep

Sir, are you daring to suggest that I am trying to mislead the gentlefolk of this forum??

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:24 am
Bannockburn 1314

Scotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Which is the best part of Canaada to immigrate with 3 kids ?

God all michty!!!! Only took me 15yrs t'find oot aboot this place.

I hope ye dinna mind me writing the Doric wye,eh?
Anyhoo, if ye want t'bide in Canada,, Nova Scotia,,(New Scotland to you Sassanachs) is the place to be.
Caul winters,,biling summers,, cheep hooses,cheep food,,cheep women,, dear speeding tickets,, nae midges,,but a couple o'weeks o' bloody black flies,,the mosquitoes go for immigrant blood more than the locals,,, I guess we're 80% proof and the locals are watered doon a'bit.
I have to admit though,, on my last couple of visits back to Edinburgh, I wis sair hearted to leave..Ach well,If I wisna attached,,,,?
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:38 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Mick, good to hear from you again, should auld aquantaince be forgot etc etc. Bit obvious though, no one is that scottish that they type phonetically!

No Glas, I am not suggesting you did it on purpose!

Originally Posted by Scotsman
God all michty!!!! Only took me 15yrs t'find oot aboot this place.

I hope ye dinna mind me writing the Doric wye,eh?
Anyhoo, if ye want t'bide in Canada,, Nova Scotia,,(New Scotland to you Sassanachs) is the place to be.
Caul winters,,biling summers,, cheep hooses,cheep food,,cheep women,, dear speeding tickets,, nae midges,,but a couple o'weeks o' bloody black flies,,the mosquitoes go for immigrant blood more than the locals,,, I guess we're 80% proof and the locals are watered doon a'bit.
I have to admit though,, on my last couple of visits back to Edinburgh, I wis sair hearted to leave..Ach well,If I wisna attached,,,,?
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:58 am
Bannockburn 1314

Iain,I dinna ken fa' Mick is,bit if ye'd jist hae a look at my profile ye'd see I wissna th'chile yer mistooken me for. Noo,, if ye were bidin' in Canada yersel, ye'd think ye'd ken hoo t'spell Canadian in yer Sig,eh"''??

QUOTE=iaink]Mick, good to hear from you again, should auld aquantaince be forgot etc etc. Bit obvious though, no one is that scottish that they type phonetically!

No Glas, I am not suggesting you did it on purpose![/QUOTE]
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Yep

Sir, are you daring to suggest that I am trying to mislead the gentlefolk of this forum??
Yep, every chance you get!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:02 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
No Glas, I am not suggesting you did it on purpose!
It was semi-purposeful ... the forum seemed pretty dead tonight, so I thought I'd give it a poke with a sharp stick to see what happened.

Anyway, I have kid's hockey early tomorrow morning, so I shall bid you all goodnight.

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:13 am
Bannockburn 1314

OK Willmore,,here's a couple o'things an old Glaswegian wouldn't know,,(I'm writing proper now incase yer English)
I used to collect samples for the Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Dartmouth N.S.
I collected fish ear bones,(otoliths) and conducted morphologies on various types of fish.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Well, it beats the mockney I guess. Is there some online translator to phonetic movie scottish, or are you making this up yourself?

CanadIAIN

Iain,I dinna ken fa' Mick is,bit if ye'd jist hae a look at my profile ye'd see I wissna th'chile yer mistooken me for. Noo,, if ye were bidin' in Canada yersel, ye'd think ye'd ken hoo t'spell Canadian in yer Sig,eh"''??
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

The NW is nice too ... but it's further north and further away from the chinooks (you can see the chinook cloud arch from my south facing back yard ) ... so although the NW isn't as cold as Edmonton, it isn't quite as warm as the deep south.
Is there really a climate difference between north and south Calgary? Surely it can only be truly marginal. Chinooks don't stop at the Bow River.

Kev: there is no right answer to the OP's question; so what's the point of droning on about Calgary. Although if I were to move back to Canada now, I would move to Calgary without hesitation. The only other place I would want to move would be BC, but I know there is no work for me there. I think of BC (Okanagan mainly) as a potential retirement spot; or somewhere to buy a vineyard once I've made my millions.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:41 am
Bannockburn 1314

Iain,I'm /we're getting away from the Thread here but,what you read is how I speak. It's the Doric dialect of N.E. Scotland. If yer curious,try the Aberdeen University website or the www.abdn.ca.uk/elphinstone/kist
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Is there really a climate difference between north and south Calgary? Surely it can only be truly marginal. Chinooks don't stop at the Bow River.

Kev: there is no right answer to the OP's question; so what's the point of droning on about Calgary. Although if I were to move back to Canada now, I would move to Calgary without hesitation. The only other place I would want to move would be BC, but I know there is no work for me there. I think of BC (Okanagan mainly) as a potential retirement spot; or somewhere to buy a vineyard once I've made my millions.

Hi CalgaryAMC.
I feel all dejected now..... i didn't realize i'd been "droning on" about Calgary! I thought i'd just been giving my opinion!
If, indeed, i have been droning on about our prospective settling area too much, maybe it's something to do with the fact that me and mine are still stuck in England, when i'd much much much rather be over there starting our new life.
I think about Canada every day - and i mean - every day, even if it's only a fleeting thought. I'm excited by the prospect of succeeding in what we're actually doing - even though there's a 14 to 16 month waiting list from where we are now!
But for you, CalgaryAMC, and anyone else out there who i'm boring the hell out of - i apologise.
Take care y'all,

Kev.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:16 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
The north is a bit cooler ... especially the north east ... but as nobody wants to live there, that's less of an issue ...

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:25 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Karate Kev
I feel all dejected now..... i didn't realize i'd been "droning on" about Calgary! I thought i'd just been giving my opinion!
CalgaryAMC is just feeling homesick ... I didn't notice you droning on.

If, indeed, i have been droning on about our prospective settling area too much, maybe it's something to do with the fact that me and mine are still stuck in England, when i'd much much much rather be over there starting our new life.
If you'd rather be in Canada than the UK, life really drags .... been there, done that ... I had a chat with one of the other dads at hockey today ... had the usual conversation ... why did you come to Canada? ... I'd just had enough of the UK ... I work with someone from the UK and they said exactly the same thing. The UK has turned into one big disappointment for a lot of people.

I think about Canada every day - and i mean - every day, even if it's only a fleeting thought. I'm excited by the prospect of succeeding in what we're actually doing - even though there's a 14 to 16 month waiting list from where we are now!
The time will pass eventually .... as long as you're being realistic and don't expect a crime and drug free Utopia where everybody just loves us Brits, you'll be fine, you'll have a great time when you get here.

But for you, CalgaryAMC, and anyone else out there who i'm boring the hell out of - i apologise.
It's open forum ... anybody who doesn't like what they read here doesn't have to read it ... carry on droning and ignore them ... it's better out than in.

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:28 pm
Glaswegian

Iain,I'm /we're getting away from the Thread here but,what you read is how I speak. It's the Doric dialect of N.E. Scotland. If yer curious,try the Aberdeen University website or the www.abdn.ca.uk/elphinstone/kist
4 posts and you've already experienced going off topic ... that's an achievement laddie.

I have family in Ebberdeen, so I know doric ... fits tae dae wi' th' quinie?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.