Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

best city to raise a family?

best city to raise a family?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:22 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best city to raise a family?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Indeed, I chuckled at the idea of maternity leave. Perhaps in a government job.
Can have up to 12 months maternity or paternity leave in the Government - 93% of pay...
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

That was a great post TG.

I can't see why RICH's post caused such offense - after all he's here and would know what he was talking about.

To put it in a nutshell, there's no "one" city that is great to bring up kids. If there were everyone would move there and then it would be pointless leaving Britain because they'd all be your next door neighbours.

So as said, there doesn't really seem to be one good place - they all have their own merits.

Maybe a good question to ask would be "have any parents had problems with their kids since being here and was it related to the area you chose to live in?"
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:49 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Best city to raise a family is a small one. Smaller cities and towns in Canada favour bonding and close friendships, big cities favour distraction and alienation.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Best city to raise a family is a small one. Smaller cities and towns in Canada favour bonding and close friendships, big cities favour distraction and alienation.
I disagree quite strongly. Big cities offer exposure to diversity and the opportunity to experience a variety of things as well as the all important transit. Smaller towns offer less of everything.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:24 am
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

I think the replys to this question prove that the possible answers are totally subjective, Aviators suggestion on Page 1 makes the most sense to me, come over on a few visits and try a few out. I know I would never want to live in a city again regardless of the country it was in.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I disagree quite strongly. Big cities offer exposure to diversity and the opportunity to experience a variety of things as well as the all important transit. Smaller towns offer less of everything.
I would agree, except I'd point out that "less of everything" would also include less of the negative stuff.

I'd also suggest that smaller cities don't necessarily have as much less diversity and opportunity as some may think.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:57 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is obvious .... it's Fredericton because that is where I live

Seriously it is so subjective that you need to decide what sort of life you want to live as a family (plus employment is essential to a happy immigrant).

Fredericton is a small city (in the UK it is probably something like a large Market Town rather than a city). The city population is approximately 60,000 and the Greater Fredericton Area takes it to around 80,000 (depending how far out you draw the limits). The town of Woking in Surrey has more population than Fredericton.

I suggest you need somewhere that has some of the things you are used to being able to access in the UK. Supermarkets, pubs, theatre, cinema, museum, art gallery, public parks, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, garages, bowling, free public tennis courts, free public and flood lit basketball courts, schools etc....

Also remember a 40 minute drive out of the city in the summer could be a 2 hour drive in the winter.

We live 16km from downtown Fredericton, just outside the city limit (lower taxes and less bylaws to comply with) and my commute is 20 minutes (increased from 13-15 minutes because I now work on the North side of the city and have to cross the river). In the winter I will probably add 5-10minutes on my commute but snow clearance is an art that NBers have perfected over the centuries.

We can be in the downtown area inside 15 minutes, everything Fredericton has to offer (see list above) is within a 20 minute drive from our house.

Crime is low, drugs are available to youth, but I think that is the same where ever you live. Sports facilities and opportunities are amazing for such a small place. We have 25km of trails just across the road from our house (walking in the summer and x-country skiing in the winter).

Anyway you get the picture, I like it here and both of my children (adults really) have stated they are not returning to the UK.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 4:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scirish
Rich, you <snip>
That's an endearing response when wanting additional help.

We are hoping to rent a reasonable sized family home, though again this is dictated by rent over there, hence opinions needed i.e. calgary is/is not over priced.
Until you visit somewhere or are clearer in terms of what you want (eg whether 'calgary is/is not over priced' - that's wholly dependent on your income and perception of value for money), the responses you get will reflect the effort you put into seeking specific answers to specific questions.

There are a total of 160 cities (population of least 10,000 or over) in Canada. Your initial question just opens the floodgates to a load of opinion that may well be completely unsuitable for your circumstances.

I don't see see how our ethnicity comes into it at all???
In your own little utopia, being a Pakistani, for example, in an Indian neighbourhood might be perfectly OK, but unless we know a little about your background, how can anyone make a reasonable and realistic suggestion about a suburb or area? Calgary's a big city, and perhaps surprisingly to you, it consists of an immigrant population. Maybe you don't care where you live, but I doubt that.

I think peoples opinions on school systems etc are a lot more important than our shopping habits - trust me paris hilton i ain't.
Now you're getting the point - provide more information and you'll get better informed answers.

So take the weight of your shoulders I am looking constructive advice nothing more!
scirish, you flatter me with your charm and assumption I really GAS.

It was inevitable you'll end up with 101 replies from people in 101 different locations all suggesting their choice is best (to help validate their own decisions ). If you want people to indulge you with their time, advice and experiences, being a little more specific would help.

Last edited by R I C H; Oct 16th 2010 at 5:00 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:37 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming that Mandymoochops was talking about your ego when she said you have a huge one
Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I am assuming that Mandymoochops was talking about your ego when she said you have a huge one
Ha ha. Here is RICH's huge one:
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Here's a lady who's still angry about RICH's real size.

Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:55 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with RICH on this one. The OP provided **** all information to work on so inevitably they open themselves up to lots and lots of subjective "advice" of which most could easily be pointless for the OP.

Why not just ask "I have a family, is Canada right for us?" to save energy.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm with RICH on this one. The OP provided **** all information to work on so inevitably they open themselves up to lots and lots of subjective "advice" of which most could easily be pointless for the OP.

Why not just ask "I have a family, is Canada right for us?" to save energy.
Or, alternatively, "I have a family, where should we live?"
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Or, alternatively, "I have a family, where should we live?"
Or "I have a life, should I have a family".
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:49 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is obvious .... it's Fredericton because that is where I live

Seriously it is so subjective that you need to decide what sort of life you want to live as a family (plus employment is essential to a happy immigrant).

Fredericton is a small city (in the UK it is probably something like a large Market Town rather than a city). The city population is approximately 60,000 and the Greater Fredericton Area takes it to around 80,000 (depending how far out you draw the limits). The town of Woking in Surrey has more population than Fredericton.

I suggest you need somewhere that has some of the things you are used to being able to access in the UK. Supermarkets, pubs, theatre, cinema, museum, art gallery, public parks, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, garages, bowling, free public tennis courts, free public and flood lit basketball courts, schools etc....

Also remember a 40 minute drive out of the city in the summer could be a 2 hour drive in the winter.

We live 16km from downtown Fredericton, just outside the city limit (lower taxes and less bylaws to comply with) and my commute is 20 minutes (increased from 13-15 minutes because I now work on the North side of the city and have to cross the river). In the winter I will probably add 5-10minutes on my commute but snow clearance is an art that NBers have perfected over the centuries.

We can be in the downtown area inside 15 minutes, everything Fredericton has to offer (see list above) is within a 20 minute drive from our house.

Crime is low, drugs are available to youth, but I think that is the same where ever you live. Sports facilities and opportunities are amazing for such a small place. We have 25km of trails just across the road from our house (walking in the summer and x-country skiing in the winter).

Anyway you get the picture, I like it here and both of my children (adults really) have stated they are not returning to the UK.
^^^ What the Dave man said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.