Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Canadian Experience (so far)...

Best Canadian Experience (so far)...

Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:47 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Best Canadian Experience (so far)...

hot wasabi peas]Unedited! (let's see how Biiiiink handles this! )!

racism towards and ignorance about Aboriginal People!)
Racism in the UK is alive and well (unfortunately)

- people are generally less aware of the world ouside of NA!
Believe me the Education system is so good here (sarcastic) that most people couldn't stick a pin in France if they were shown a map.
- politics!
Isn't politics the same in every country ? They all just talk a good deal and the Government in the UK is so greedy.

- red-****ing-tape and Borg-like bureaucracy!
You ain't seen red tape like in Britain, I should know after Visa and Citizenship applications plus extortionate fees for same for my Ukrainian wife and son.
- many differently shallow (compare to the UK) people!
You have to be joking, most people in Britain will smile and joke with you and then call you an ass behind your back, how shallow is that.
- surface ‘niceness’ can hide anger, resentment, etc…!
Surface niceness is in abundance in work and play in the UK
- I notice the country is changing and getting ****ed up and ****ed over!
Why do you think we want to get out of Britain, its already that way over here.
- some mind-boggingly stupid people!
Yeah, and you think they just exist in Canada, I think not !

Maybe I have just started a list of Cons of living in the UK. Anyone wnat to back me up here.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Canadian Experience (so far)...

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Why are people so afraid of posting a list of Cons for staying in the UK ?
Actually this forum has many posts about the disadvantages of staying in the UK. After all, the majority of the people who post here are waiting to get out of the UK and into Canada. I don't come from the UK, but this forum has taught me words I didn't know before (chav, etc.). If you do a search for that word alone, you'll pull up umpteen threads that diss the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Is it because the list just would not fit on one A4 Page of text ?
Ah, those of us who have come to Canada have turned our backs on that most sensible of paper sizes.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:09 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Ah, those of us who have come to Canada have turned our backs on that most sensible of paper sizes.
What size paper do I (hopefully) need to get used to when I arrive ?
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:23 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

Scroll about half-way down to reveal the full horrors.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:44 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
edited!
- Lock Ness Monster (yeah, I know)
Had to smile at this one.... a coupla weeks ago we shared the gondola coming down from Sunshine with a two Canadian ski instructors. They were having an animated discussion about the Loch Ness Monster, except the guy kept saying he couldn't remember which lake in Ireland it lived in.

After he had repeated this question a couple of times we could not resist suggesting that maybe the Loch Ness Monster lived in a "lake" called Loch Ness, and actually it was Scotland.

"Whatever!" was the predictable reply!

...... maybe the altitude gets to them too? ....
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:46 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Originally Posted by acer rose
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

Scroll about half-way down to reveal the full horrors.

I have had a look and seems like Ontario used the Worldwide formats from 1972 - 1976 and then dumped them in favour of sizes that only applied in Canada :scared: If it wasn't written in black and white I wouldn't have believed you; do the Government do other stupid things like that !
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:15 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by chrisparr
Anything else you can give me?
Hmmm, let me see. I wouldn't be able to claim that all of my favourite experiences of Canada are unique to Canada. In fact, I've had some really neat experiences in Australia, I had a moving experience in a poor town in -- of all places -- Serbia during a September 2004 trip to trace my mother's Hungarian roots, etc.

However, for what they're worth, here are some more experiences that have happened either to me or to close family members in Western Canada (mostly Calgary):

Well, Chris, I suppose I could go on and on. However, I hope this list gives you a general sense of my experience.
                    Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:24 am
                    BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Toilet paper of course!
                    Old Jan 7th 2006, 8:23 am
                    BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people so afraid of posting a list of Cons for staying in the UK ?

OR Is it because the list just would not fit on one A4 Page of text ?

If you have a go Chris, I will try and back you up on this !
                    why dont you have ago?
                    Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:13 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
                    Souvy - british wildlife
                    <Canadian T-storms make the Brit versions look like wimps>
                    I don't have a lot of thunderstorm experience; they're very rare on Vancouver Island... like once every 5 years or so... so these last few years in the UK have been amazing in that respect (to me).
                    Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:29 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
                      Beautiful stuff Judy. I'm all teary-eyed.
                      Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:01 am
                      BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going to do a pros and cons list with my wife as part of the discussion (if she will). I'll post the results when we have finished. Actually it will probably be a work in progress until we decide to stay in the UK or get on the plane

Chris

Last edited by scribe123; Jan 7th 2006 at 11:59 am.
                      Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:09 am
                      BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers Judy,

You're a great help.

Chris
                      Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:29 am
                      Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
                      why dont you have ago?
                      Okay Batty, I have posted a few things about road users in the UK on the Thread "Reasons to Leave the UK", I'll have a go at a pros and cons list on there. Maybe Chris will be interested also to compare his list when he's had that all important discussion with his wife