Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

best bargain ever !!!

best bargain ever !!!

Old May 31st 2011, 7:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best bargain ever !!!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Theft - the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive. That is the definition in England and I am confident it is the same in Canada.

They don't have to occur simultaneously. If your bank or your employer transfers money into your bank account and, upon realising what has happened, you do nothing, it is theft.

Justify it all you want on the basis of it being a large corporation but it is the same as if one had walked out without paying for it.

It's a bit like saying I am only a little drunk while driving, or I was only slightly over the speed limit. Some of you are fine with purchasing something for less than was agreed, some of you aren't. I take no position, but I am interested in how some of you appear to believe it is fine to pay less than was agreed. One wonders if you would hold the same position if your employer paid you less than agreed today.

In what was did the OP do anything dishonest?

She saw 2 cameras offered for a certain price, took them up to pay, and was requested by the retailer (after consulting a supervisor) to pay a much reduced price, which was duly paid.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:19 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tangram
According to some it seems the OP should be burned at the stake.
I would have thought hung, drawn and quartered might be a punishment better fitting the crime.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:22 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Is there any other type?
Morally, well to my code of ethics anyway. But I guess each have their own moral code.

Personally I would have called the store, told them what happened and offered to pay it next time I happened by.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Theft - the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive. That is the definition in England and I am confident it is the same in Canada.

They don't have to occur simultaneously. If your bank or your employer transfers money into your bank account and, upon realising what has happened, you do nothing, it is theft.

Justify it all you want on the basis of it being a large corporation but it is the same as if one had walked out without paying for it.

It's a bit like saying I am only a little drunk while driving, or I was only slightly over the speed limit. Some of you are fine with purchasing something for less than was agreed, some of you aren't. I take no position, but I am interested in how some of you appear to believe it is fine to pay less than was agreed. One wonders if you would hold the same position if your employer paid you less than agreed today.
I for one would not be pleased as I have have a SIGNED contract of employment stating my salary. As I have a SIGNED agreement with the bank when I opened my account. Don't recall though signing one with Tesco, Asda or Walmart for that matter.
Would be pretty hard for Walmart to make a case for theft though as the OP took the said good to the checkout, presented said goods to the operator. Operator called the Supervisor who changed the price on the said goods then passed the said goods back to the OP to take out the store after the financial transaction had been completed. Plus knowing the world that we live in, it was probably all on camera too!
Old May 31st 2011, 7:33 pm
Meh

She saw 2 cameras offered for a certain price, took them up to pay, and was requested by the retailer (after consulting a supervisor) to pay a much reduced price, which was duly paid.
Nothing dishonest at the time, although one wonders how they did not notice the price discrepancy. However, now knowing that the 'stupid little girl' made an honest mistake it would only be right to go and make amends.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC44
I for one would not be pleased as I have have a SIGNED contract of employment stating my salary. As I have a SIGNED agreement with the bank when I opened my account. Don't recall though signing one with Tesco, Asda or Walmart for that matter.
Would be pretty hard for Walmart to make a case for theft though as the OP took the said good to the checkout, presented said goods to the operator. Operator called the Supervisor who changed the price on the said goods then passed the said goods back to the OP to take out the store after the financial transaction had been completed. Plus knowing the world that we live in, it was probably all on camera too!
To be picky, a signature is evidence of a contract, not the contract itself. A verbal or implied contract is equally binding as a signed one if there is sufficient other evidence that a valid contract has been made.

That said, this is more a moral issue than a legal one.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Nothing dishonest at the time, although one wonders how they did not notice the price discrepancy. However, now knowing that the 'stupid little girl' made an honest mistake it would only be right to go and make amends.
I think that the mistake lies with the supervisor who changed the price, not the poor girl on the checkout. Would it be her job to second guess a supervisor and a computer generated priceing system?
Old May 31st 2011, 7:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Scenario 1. An old lady is fishing about in her purse to find some change for a vending machine. She asks for your help as she has left her glasses at home. As you find a dollar at the bottom of her purse you also notice a $100 bill. You palm it and stick it in your pocket.

The old lady can't eat this week.

Scenario 2. While shopping at a mega store you spot something you want costing $100 but the checkout operator only charges you $1.

Thousands of shareholders get a little less dividend this year, millions of shoppers pay slightly more for their groceries next year.

Question:

Hopefully most of us will agree that scenario 1 is morally wrong but does the fact that scenario 2 invokes many more people but with a much smaller personal loss make it acceptable?

Is robbing one person of $1,000 wrong but robbing ten people of $100 right?
Old May 31st 2011, 8:00 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Scenario 1. An old lady is fishing about in her purse to find some change for a vending machine. She asks for your help as she has left her glasses at home. As you find a dollar at the bottom of her purse you also notice a $100 bill. You palm it and stick it in your pocket.

The old lady can't eat this week.

Scenario 2. While shopping at a mega store you spot something you want costing $100 but the checkout operator only charges you $1.

Thousands of shareholders get a little less dividend this year, millions of shoppers pay slightly more for their groceries next year.

Question:

Hopefully most of us will agree that scenario 1 is morally wrong but does the fact that scenario 2 invokes many more people but with a much smaller personal loss make it acceptable?

Is robbing one person of $1,000 wrong but robbing ten people of $100 right?
Nobody "robbed" WalMart. WalMart simply failed to charge the correct amount for its goods.
Old May 31st 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nobody "robbed" WalMart. WalMart simply failed to charge the correct amount for its goods.
Some people just can't come to terms with that fact. Maybe they don't want too!
Old May 31st 2011, 8:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That said, this is more a moral issue than a legal one.
Morally I cgaff about wal-mart or any losses they make as a consequence of stealing, undercharging or whatever. If I saw somebody making off with a camera up their jumper I wouldn't grass them up; in fact I might warn them if I noticed security watching them.

Morally I really object to people in low-wage jobs being called "stupid little girls" when they've made a simple mistake; especially if said mistake is hugely in the name callers favour.
Old May 31st 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

this thread was ment to just show my experience and not supposed to have been a debate on whether i was right or wrong..i too have been the "stupid little girl" i have worked in retail most of my working years..and i too have made simular mistakes as the cashier i was served by..all companies have shortages, theft etc and are given a certain amount to cover this...i too have been overcharged by walmart only the day before as a matter of fact by $10 and i just left it...im always shopping in there and i dont keep a tally of what im spending unless i am skint at the time...i havent done anything apart from keep what i purchased..as we were leaving on the day of the purchases the alarm went off as we left again the receipt was checked ...so i did nothing wrong and stand by this.
Old May 31st 2011, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

One needs to look to caseload for that. I suggest R v Ghosh!
Old May 31st 2011, 8:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

Though others are better qualified to comment on this I am pretty sure that a simple mistake doesn't negate an existing contract or form a new one. Otherwise why would we write E & OE on our invoices?
Old May 31st 2011, 8:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

One needs to look to caseload for that. I suggest R v Ghosh!
Don't you mean case-law.
You really should turn off that auto-correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.