Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice
Default Re: On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I dont think a week or two is unreasonable, but any longer than that, then yes I do. I think 4 months is totally unacceptable.
Is that based on fact or thought?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I think most people on the thread are amazed that she actually asked "us"the question .

She should ask her self if she thinks she is entitled to still claim her benefit, while out of the country for 4 months. If she answers yes, then perhaps she would like to justify to others why she thinks she is. If she answers no....

Let me ask you a question. You are obviously angry at the stance we have all taken....Why? do you think she should get her benefit? if so why?

You advised her to come on to this forum and ask, why did you not advise her to just ask the benefits people?

When you come on to an open forum be prepared for all responses, not just the ones you want to hear.

People on this forum are nice, helpful, and supportive, I know I have received all three in the last few months.
Firstly let me answer your questions.

1) Yes I do think she should get her benefit IF it is allowed. She has paid into the system all her life - why should she not receive it IF it is allowed?

She is disabled and her claim is temporary until her permanant residency is approved. Note I said "IF it is allowed". I am not suggesting a fraudulent claim, but should she be permitted by the DSS to continue claiming why shouldn't she?

2) I suggested she came to this forum for general advice about immigrating, not this specific question.

3) I belong to many forums and I never expect one sided responses, however - I do expect people to be reasonable and respectful.

Instead of giving smart assed comments and being judgemental, perhaps people could reserve judgement until they are aware of the facts. Quite a few of the responses are not answering her question at all - just malicious comments.

Yes, most people on here are helpful, supportive people - it's just a few that are not.

Now I have a question for the naysayers.

Let's turn this around and "pretend" it's one of you.

You have worked hard all your life, maintained your own home - paid taxes, National Insurance, and have never claimed anything... not unemployment, not rent allowance, not supplementary benefit, nothing.

You become ill. You lose your hearing. The doctors tell you there is nothing that can be done and it is permanant.

You can no longer do the job you have worked hard at for most of your adult life. You have no choice but to leave.

You have used your savings over the years to keep your long distance relationship going... looking forwards to the time when you can be with the person you love permanantly.

Because you cannot work at your normal occupation you look around for other work, but with the present economy nobody wants to employ you.

You are forced to apply for disability benefit - which is your "entitlement" because you are classified as disabled due to the permanant hearing loss. You have worked hard all your life and paid thousands of pounds into the system and never asked for a penny back in benefit.

It's not a lot of money, but it keeps your head above water.

You and your fiance have planned your wedding and the tickets are bought. When you are married you are putting in your application to emigrate but whilst it is in progress you have to return to the UK to pack your belongings and put your affairs in order - just like thousands of others do.

Unfortunately, and due to the circumstances you find yourself in, you can't afford to lose your disability payment until you leave the UK permanantly. If you do, you won't be able to pay bills, eat or keep a roof over your head.

You are worried and don't know what to do.... so you come onto a forum to ask advice.

What do you get?

Abuse.

How would you feel?

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 24th 2010 at 7:03 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
Instead of giving smart assed comments and being judgemental, perhaps people could reserve judgement until they are aware of the facts. Quite a few of the responses are not answering her question at all - just malicious comments.
Perhaps if actual circumstances and facts were provided initially, less judgmental comments would be posted.

If only half the story is provided, it opens the door to speculation, inappropriate responses and irrelevant replies. If the OP wanted a factual reply, she should have been more forthcoming in her original post. You can't blame other posters for jumping to conclusions based on the lack of information provided. You reap what you sow.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vivienne
Hi
Thank you for all your help about my other question but wanted to ask if anyone knows if i can still claim my benefits when i go to stay with my boyfriend in Canada this year for around 4 months as we want to get married and then i will be returning to get things started back in the uk ..I am not meaning claiming anything from Canada but just being paid my uk benefits while i am gone we are both 51/52 years old
Regards
Vivienne x
I'm the last person to knock love, and I realize its not easy at your age, but wouldn't it be more advisable to get a boyfriend that lives in Blackpool or Morcombe Bay, that way your can have your holiday with no fear of losing your benefits or going to jail.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 24th 2010 at 7:41 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by R I C H
Perhaps if actual circumstances and facts were provided initially, less judgmental comments would be posted.

If only half the story is provided, it opens the door to speculation, inappropriate responses and irrelevant replies. If the OP wanted a factual reply, she should have been more forthcoming in her original post. You can't blame other posters for jumping to conclusions based on the lack of information provided. You reap what you sow.
Perhaps a simple phone call to the benefits office would of sufficed or as previously suggested more information given initially then the responses may of been different
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:52 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H

Speculation yes, irrelevent responses yes, but where a response is innapropriately harsh which some of the above seem to be, in my view, the responsibility for that cannot be pushed on to the OP for lack of info - not too hard for someone to walk on by, or at least ask for more info / caveat what is said.

I realise tone doesn't always come over well on here, but we don't all have the same tolerance for pointed / inappropriate remarks.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm the last person to knock love, and I realize its not easy at your age, but wouldn't it be more advisable to get a boyfriend that lives in Blackpool or Morcombe Bay, that way your can have your holiday with no fear of losing your benefits or going to jail.
With all due respect it is just that kind of comment that is inappropriate and unnecessary.

She is engaged to be married. They have been together for many years.

I find your comment quite offensive.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect it is just that kind of comment that is inappropriate and unnecessary.

She is engaged to be married. They have been together for many years.

I find your comment quite offensive.
Sorry, I was just tying to be pragmatic and save everyone a lot of heartache.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:48 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly let me answer your questions.

1) Yes I do think she should get her benefit IF it is allowed. She has paid into the system all her life - why should she not receive it IF it is allowed?

She is disabled and her claim is temporary until her permanant residency is approved. Note I said "IF it is allowed". I am not suggesting a fraudulent claim, but should she be permitted by the DSS to continue claiming why shouldn't she?

2) I suggested she came to this forum for general advice about immigrating, not this specific question.

3) I belong to many forums and I never expect one sided responses, however - I do expect people to be reasonable and respectful.

Yes, most people on here are helpful, supportive people - it's just a few that are not.

Now I have a question for the naysayers.

Let's turn this around and "pretend" it's one of you.

You have worked hard all your life, maintained your own home - paid taxes, National Insurance, and have never claimed anything... not unemployment, not rent allowance, not supplementary benefit, nothing.

You become ill. You lose your hearing. The doctors tell you there is nothing that can be done and it is permanant.

You can no longer do the job you have worked hard at for most of your adult life. You have no choice but to leave.

You have used your savings over the years to keep your long distance relationship going... looking forwards to the time when you can be with the person you love permanantly.

Because you cannot work at your normal occupation you look around for other work, but with the present economy nobody wants to employ you.

You are forced to apply for disability benefit - which is your "entitlement" because you are classified as disabled due to the permanant hearing loss. You have worked hard all your life and paid thousands of pounds into the system and never asked for a penny back in benefit.

It's not a lot of money, but it keeps your head above water.

You and your fiance have planned your wedding and the tickets are bought. When you are married you are putting in your application to emigrate but whilst it is in progress you have to return to the UK to pack your belongings and put your affairs in order - just like thousands of others do.

Unfortunately, and due to the circumstances you find yourself in, you can't afford to lose your disability payment until you leave the UK permanantly. If you do, you won't be able to pay bills, eat or keep a roof over your head.

You are worried and don't know what to do.... so you come onto a forum to ask advice.

What do you get?

Abuse.

How would you feel?
If this is similar to the OP's situation then she has my sympathy, and i'm unable to help or advise.

But, in fairness to the other posters deemed negative, the original posting in this thread is very limits itself to "Benefits" only, no disability was mentions. So you can appreciate people reading a completely different context.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:23 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
But, in fairness to the other posters deemed negative, the original posting in this thread is very limits itself to "Benefits" only, no disability was mentions. So you can appreciate people reading a completely different context.
...or, as is more likely, on reading the words "benefits" and "abroad" in the same sentence immediately flying into a Daily Mail induced state of apoplexy.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:30 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

If this is similar to the OP's situation then she has my sympathy, and i'm unable to help or advise.

Even though the OP may not have mentioned it, you connected with another post early on.

post nr 4:

From another post, i believe she's unable to work due to a disability.
I would say lack of even the hint that it might not just be jobseekers only applied to posts 2 & 3 OR where people didn't read the first page / the other posts referring to disability.
Otherwise I assume they read it & still chose to write what they did & in the way that they did. To me that was their choice, no one elses.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
.... where a response is innapropriately harsh which some of the above seem to be, in my view, the responsibility for that cannot be pushed on to the OP for lack of info - not too hard for someone to walk on by, or at least ask for more info / caveat what is said.
Good point.

What is this objection that some people have to people on benefits trying to live as normal a life as possible anyway? It's like other situations where a single parent is expected to declare a cohabitee if she has the nerve to have a sex life.

It's not as if the benefits are paying for this trip.

If there's no objection to the OP getting benefits and staying home, why is there an objection to getting the same money and going away for a bit. It's not actually costing more is it?

And if it's considered that important, look upon it as an investment. Up to a month's worth of benefits as a step to giving up the entitlement for good.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vivienne
Hi
Thank you for all your help about my other question but wanted to ask if anyone knows if i can still claim my benefits when i go to stay with my boyfriend in Canada this year for around 4 months as we want to get married and then i will be returning to get things started back in the uk ..I am not meaning claiming anything from Canada but just being paid my uk benefits while i am gone we are both 51/52 years old
Regards
Vivienne x
Why not ask the benefits people? They should be able to give you the correct answer and would be my first port of call.