Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The benefit of puting my 15year son in a canadian scoool now or waiting?

The benefit of puting my 15year son in a canadian scoool now or waiting?

Old May 3rd 2010, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

maggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to all
Default The benefit of puting my 15year son in a canadian scoool now or waiting?

We have our PR visas and depending on husbands job offer are not sure to move this year so my son who is 15 has 3 years to intergrate into the canadian system to finish school at (18years in Ontario)or to finish school next year and get some G.C.S.E's first?
Has anyone moved there teenaged children and what advice would you give?
My son is quite happy to go now as feels is schooling in the U.K has not been to brilliant and is looking forward to a new start!
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The benefit of puting my 15year son in a canadian scoool now or waiting?

Originally Posted by maggie-may
We have our PR visas and depending on husbands job offer are not sure to move this year so my son who is 15 has 3 years to intergrate into the canadian system to finish school at (18years in Ontario)or to finish school next year and get some G.C.S.E's first?
My son is quite happy to go now as feels is schooling in the U.K has not been to brilliant and is looking forward to a new start!
As far as I know, he's gonna have to graduate through the Canadian school system regardless. I may be wrong so hopefully someone else can elaborate....
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all
Default Re: The benefit of puting my 15year son in a canadian scoool now or waiting?

Our youngest son was 15 years old when we moved to Ontario and settled in amazingly. The education system is very different over here with teenagers only having 4 subjects a day and leaving with Diplomas instead on GCSEs. My advice would be not to leave it much longer and let him finish his education in Canada, believe me it's far better (well my son thinks so anyway)
Old May 3rd 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Get him into the Canadian system asap - that is my honest opinion.

My eldest was 12 when we moved here and I think had we done this move a little earlier it would have been sooooo much easier for her.

One thing I have noticed is that Han's doesnt have that emotional attachment to "friends" here that she had in the UK - to me that is because she hasnt done the Kindie through to high school thing with anyone.

The move has been really good for both of my kids school wise
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:37 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my opinion, FWIW

If you're planning on staying in Canada there is no sense in getting GCSEs for the sake of it. Employers here will mostly not know about them and are more likely to be interested in whether he graduated from high school. If he's going on to secondary education they'll want the same thing (although they might have heard of GCSEs)

If he does three years at senior high he'll graduate with a qualification which will be useful for life in Canada, and it gives him longer to take in the Canadian style of schooling and course content differences, rather than taking CCSEs and getting credits for them and then making the transition.

Our younger son was 14 when we landed, and I too wish we'd made the move earlier. In fact both boys feel the same way as well.
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was aged 14 when we moved here and settled into school wonderfully. She much preferred it to the school she'd been attending in the UK.
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:53 pm

Location: Originally Leicestershire, England...Moved to Barrie, Ontario. Autumn 2010
willowfaery67 is an unknown quantity at this point

my eldest son is also 15 ..youngest son will be 13 when we hopefully land in Aug or Sept. We have had a terrible time here with schooling for my eldest as he has a diagnosis of ADHD and getting the school to accept this as a a genuine condition and not just a ply to getting attention!! it is a learning difficulty....although his consultant agrees with us his parents that it is fairly mild....he isn't statemented but is supposed to have a individual educational plan to support his needs.....does anyone have a similiar experience or advice re support that we can tap into to help make his transition a bit easier for him?
Old May 8th 2010, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

twinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nice

I was 15 when my family moved to Canada (almost 30 years ago).

I was about 2 months away from doing my GCSEs when we moved.

I did not have any problems intergrating into the Canadian School system. Infact I was kind of glad to go to school, as it enabled me to meet new friends. I wouldn't worry about your son getting his GSCEs first. As mentioned he will be put in a grade that is approriate to his age and continue on with his schooling and graduate with a diploma.

I did find that coming from the british system, the school in Canada placed me in a higher stream (the good old days of grade 13 lol).

Best of luck with your move to Canada.... it is a great country, and although I am living in Australia now, I still consider Canada my "home".

Cheers

Karen
Old May 8th 2010, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

We brought 3 teans with us, we delayed our departure so that Eldest could finish A levels, next one could finish GCSEs, and youngest was transitioning to high school.

Eldest went to college when she got here to study Architecture they recognized her A levels.

Youngest daughter was placed into high school by use of her GCSE grades and was given a point score from them, she did 18 months in High school and graduated with Honours.

Youngest son is about to move up to senior high, he seems to be settling well.

Schools in Canada will recognise GCSEs and A levels, but I wouldnt wait for your children to take them unless you are planning to return to the UK ever, if that is the case then let him take them before you move, as they will be better for him in the UK. But if you are making a permanent move come as soon as possible and get him settled into school. Employers here wont recognize GCSEs, all they want to see is a High school diploma. Colleges and Universities do recognize British Qualifications, but then again they also recognize Canadian ones.

I would get him settled into school as quickly as possible, at 15 he will be starting Senior High, and will effectively be taking options at this time, so better to start at the begining of Senior High than half way through.
Old May 9th 2010, 1:52 am
Just Joined

heatherj is an unknown quantity at this point

Our son stayed with very good friends in the UK to complete his A-Levels, it was his choice at the time, but when he joined us having completed them, he wished he had come and finished school in Canada, as he didn't have any friends when he landed, although he is now in University and very happy, I think with if I did it again I would do it different.
But it is your choice.
Old May 9th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Our youngest son is just taking his A levels now and we move in July. It seemed to us this would be a good time to move not to disrupt his education.

However, in hindsight, I wish we had gone earlier, as now he may well not come with us. He is still likely to stay in England for Uni without really giving Nova Scotia a chance. If you go now, at least your family will all be together to start a new life in Canada.