Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Belleville Ontario and surrounding area

Belleville Ontario and surrounding area

Old Oct 11th 2017, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belleville Ontario and surrounding area

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Baseball teams?
Baseball? Now you are getting totally assimilated. What next? Binge watching the Beachcombers, Wayne and Shuster, agreeing with Don Cherry on societal issues?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for all the great info guys!!

Baseball?? Who mentioned Baseball?? I had the opportunity to attend a game at the Rogers centre recently Blue Jays V K City Royals. No offence but it was a bore fest!! the guys spent more time raking the sand all night than playing the game.

Each to their own I suppoose.

Regards

Farmboy
Old Oct 11th 2017, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Prince Edward County and Belleville is our nearest big town - we go there to shop etc. Belleville is OK, but I wouldn't put it much stronger than that... There seem to be quite a few drug busts there, and some of the areas are pretty run down. The town centre is quite empty, as the bigger shops have moved to the mall on the Northern outskirts. Check the quality of the schools too - the one in my home town is not great, and is in the same school board. Feel free to pm me if you like...

I guess you don't want to live in Ottawa but have you thought about Perth? Or Smith's Falls? Lovely smaller towns (and Smith's Falls has a railway station too, whilst Perth is on the Trans-Canadian Highway, so has buses etc). Be aware that the snowfall near Renfrew County is substantial, which will affect your travelling time!

Last edited by Collie; Oct 11th 2017 at 4:08 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Vfor your commute you don't want to be south of Highway 7
Old Oct 11th 2017, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie
I live in Prince Edward County and Belleville is our nearest big town - we go there to shop etc. Belleville is OK, but I wouldn't put it much stronger than that... There seem to be quite a few drug busts there, and some of the areas are pretty run down. The town centre is quite empty, as the bigger shops have moved to the mall on the Northern outskirts. Check the quality of the schools too - the one in my home town is not great, and is in the same school board. Feel free to pm me if you like...

I guess you don't want to live in Ottawa but have you thought about Perth? Or Smith's Falls? Lovely smaller towns (and Smith's Falls has a railway station too, whilst Perth is on the Trans-Canadian Highway, so has buses etc). Be aware that the snowfall near Renfrew County is substantial, which will affect your travelling time!
I spent last winter in Renfrew County - Collie is not wrong about the snowfall.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Baseball? Now you are getting totally assimilated. ...

Quite the opposite. You asked if there were towns with silly facilities. I suggest Baseball as one
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

To my surprise found there is quite a bit of soccer in Perth!
Perth United Soccer Club | Soccer for Youth and Adults in Lanark County
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Quite the opposite. You asked if there were towns with silly facilities. I suggest Baseball as one
Ha Ha...In my mind 'baseball facilities' constitutes silly facilities.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Collie
To my surprise found there is quite a bit of soccer in Perth!
Perth United Soccer Club | Soccer for Youth and Adults in Lanark County
I get the sense the OP is looking for a higher level of team. Keep in mind however the number of players and teams drops off quickly after about age 15/16 as the players often don't want to commit to practice nights/games etc and part time jobs, school, friends and nefarious activities often get in the way.

Perth does have a nice set of fields at Conlon Park.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Great responses Guys!!

The icing on the cake will be when me and my boy find two football grounds over here one called Anfield and the other Ibrox LOL

Home from Home!!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 1:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Anf....7099167?dcr=0
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

That neighbourhood has an Oldfield Crescent (Tubular Bells anyone), a Valencia Street, (La Liga), Selhurst Avenue (Crystal Palace), Portman Road (Ipswich Town), and a Fratton Way (Portsmouth) and a roundabout. Maybe the OP would be happy there.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 1:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
That neighbourhood has an Oldfield Crescent (Tubular Bells anyone), a Valencia Street, (La Liga), Selhurst Avenue (Crystal Palace), Portman Road (Ipswich Town), and a Fratton Way (Portsmouth) and a roundabout. Maybe the OP would be happy there.
Like the Poets estate from Reggie Perrin.
Street names – In Series One, David Nobbs has typified suburban life by locating the Perrins in a housing estate where all the roads are based on a particular theme. Even when their fortunes see them living elsewhere, they are always on estates with themed road names.

Ser.1 Poets: Coleridge Close, Tennyson Avenue, Wordsworth Drive
Ser.2 Poets: Elizabeth Barrett-Browning Crescent, Anon. Avenue
Ser.3 & 4 Philosophers: Leibnitz Drive, Bertrand Russell Rise, Schopenhauer Grove,
Ser 3 Capitals: Oslo Avenue, Rio De Janeiro Lane, Lisbon Crescent, Nairobi Avenue, Addis Ababa Avenue, Ankara Grove, Buenos Aires Grove.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 1:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Hi Scilly,

No I mean to get my boy playing up there. He already plays for two teams down here. His U10 and he plays up a year for the U11's. The season is horribly short over here. April through end of August. At home we were August to May competitive with pre season thrown in. A good indoor facility would be awesome to take account of the winter here in Ontario.
We can watch all we want on TSN etc etc. Getting up at 7.30am to watch the lunchtime kick off is definitely not fun and you really cant have a beer over here at that time. Wouldnt want the neighbours talking!! LOL
Regarding soccer, the season here for kids is 12 months year round, they play outdoor summer and indoor all winter. L1 Ontario is the semi pro league and Kingston have a team. Belleville are not in this league yet, but may have a team in several years who knows.

Nearest pro team for you is Montreal I guess, but being French speaking team Toronto FC maybe a better bet, they do try outs yearly, and have a USL team, my boy played for them for several years then messed it all up by getting a crappy injury!! He had fun tho, all travel fees are paid by the professional teams at the amateur level.