Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

been here a year - credit report?

been here a year - credit report?

Old Sep 3rd 2014, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default been here a year - credit report?

Is it possible for me to access my credit report having lived in Canada for just over a year? Equifax want to know about my addresses for the past 3 years, and Transunion have been having issues with their website for the past week (!), so can't verify my details, and I also can't use their automated line to get my free credit report because they can't verify my details either (despite giving them my SIN). Their postal form asks for addresses for the last 2 years.

I must have some kind of credit report, even if it's useless, and I need to provide a copy of one because I'm applying for a grant. If I put in my UK address as my previous address is that going to cause problems? We stayed at a rental for 1 month when we moved here, should I include that too?

Or is this whole thing futile until we've lived here for 2 years....
Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: been here a year - credit report?

Originally Posted by izzi81
Is it possible for me to access my credit report having lived in Canada for just over a year? Equifax want to know about my addresses for the past 3 years, and Transunion have been having issues with their website for the past week (!), so can't verify my details, and I also can't use their automated line to get my free credit report because they can't verify my details either (despite giving them my SIN). Their postal form asks for addresses for the last 2 years.
Is Equifax or Transunion an organization one is supposed to share the SIN with? Just wondering?

I once visited my RBC branch and they were able to give me a credit report. Interestingly they found most previous addresses ( at a time when I wasn't even with RBC but with Scotiabank), and even though I moved several times.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:34 am
mec
Forum Regular

mec will become famous soon enough

I must have some kind of credit report, even if it's useless, and I need to provide a copy of one because I'm applying for a grant. If I put in my UK address as my previous address is that going to cause problems? We stayed at a rental for 1 month when we moved here, should I include that too?

Yes - it's possible. I've pulled my Equifax report a couple of times and have been here less than two years. I paid for it though rather than requesting the free one... and think I did everything online... but to be honest I can't remember the mechanics of it now!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Equifax have asked for a photocopy of my SIN. Why would they need that, don't they believe me? I'm not hugely keen on photocopying my card and putting that in the post....

I'm now wondering about just seeing if my bank can give me a copy of it.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

RBC should be able to do this for you
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Equifax have asked for a photocopy of my SIN. Why would they need that, don't they believe me? I'm not hugely keen on photocopying my card and putting that in the post....

I'm now wondering about just seeing if my bank can give me a copy of it.
Banks could do it, but never have for me and we have been with them over 20 years. If all their customers went in for a credit rport, it would be mayhem. They may show you if you are applying for credit and they run a report. Everytime your credit file is accessed it shows up on the report as being checked.

Credit bureaus want your SIN to make sure they have the right you. If you don't send in the copies of the right information, they won't send the report.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's just a bit confusing because I already gave them photocopies of my passport, driving licence, and told them my SIN in the letter I sent. I guess they don't believe I gave them the right number?

It's frustrating because now it's going to take another 2 weeks before I get anything back, I need my credit rating to apply for something, and worst of all it's like waiting for bad news... I know my score isn't going to be great!

Oh well I guess I just have to send it to them...
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a bit confusing because I already gave them photocopies of my passport, driving licence, and told them my SIN in the letter I sent. I guess they don't believe I gave them the right number?

It's frustrating because now it's going to take another 2 weeks before I get anything back, I need my credit rating to apply for something, and worst of all it's like waiting for bad news... I know my score isn't going to be great!

Oh well I guess I just have to send it to them...
Why would you need to know your credit rating to apply for something? The supplier would do a credit check, they are the ones who want the credit score.

The credit bureaus seem to be as difficult as possible in regard to the free report, I guess they want to make it hard so you pay them for it!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I got one from Equifax, can't remember what I had to provide, but SIN cards aren't issued anymore so I can't see how they can require that. I don't remember it being terribly complicated, I just sent them a letter with an application and a photocopy of my ID as I recall. And it didn't cost anything.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve - I thought I had heard they weren't issuing the cards, so I did wonder how they could say I needed to send that. I do have a card though, so it's possible to do what they want, I just find it a bit odd given I've done everything they said I needed to do - they even said the SIN was optional when I applied!

Aviator - I'm applying for a business grant, one of the things they request is a credit report. Equifax does seem to be making it difficult.. I did also apply to TransUnion so I might give it a few days and see if they come back with anything....
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:53 pm

Aviator - I'm applying for a business grant, one of the things they request is a credit report. Equifax does seem to be making it difficult.. I did also apply to TransUnion so I might give it a few days and see if they come back with anything....
Seems an odd request. We have participated in many grants and funding programs, never had a request for credit bureau reports.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:57 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Speak to a Real Estate Agent. They can probably pull you one off for $10 to $20. I did this when I needed a place to live and they wanted credit history.