Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

... been here 3 weeks & ....

... been here 3 weeks & ....

Old Jun 18th 2006, 2:32 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: ... been here 3 weeks & ....

Just as an aside I'm pretty certain Canada isn't the only country you have to add tax on to your shopping before hitting the till (if you're buying from Makro etc then you have to do it here in the UK too don't forget!) I think that the way the provinces are set up - each with their own degree of autonomy and tax rates - means that the Canucks are doing it the best way for all the reasons someone came up with above.

It means you get to practice your numeracy every time you buy something anyway. Maybe there'd be fewer mathematical igoramuses here in the islands if we had to do some sums every time we bought our groceries
Old Jun 18th 2006, 5:28 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of
Default Re: ... been here 3 weeks & ....

Originally Posted by bart2804
.......fantastic move, Vancouver is great, so glad to be here, minor irritations however are ..........

- banks here are awful, service V poor, charges ridiculous
- wages are cr*p
- the world cup > live < is on at scary times
- 6 weeks to get a SIN , FFS, why???
- ref above - you can 'work' but not get paid until SIN arrives ,,,,,,,,
- GST, PST, Liquor tax - why is that no-one can tell you the actual price you pay for, like anything??
- car insurance; in BC you have 1 govt owned organisation with zero competition; I pay £ 100 pcm ++ for a nice Jeep GC SUV, based on 30 %
discount.

.......bit of a rant, this place is ABSOLUTELY GREAT, SO HAPPY TO BE HERE, SERIOUSLY, it's just that things like banks, SIN, buying liquor, taxes, insurance etc were open to > AHEM < COMPETITION < it would be easier.

& Cheaper!

BC = BRING CASH, as the locals say.........
Well I've been here 31 years and go back and forth between both countries frequently. I've always found the banks here much friendlier than back in the UK. And as to the prices not including tax, yes I agree it's annoying to have to factor in the tax when you get to the checkout, but at least you know exactly how much tax you are paying, unlike the hidden variable VAT in the UK, depending on what goods you are purchasing. And our GST and provincial taxes together is still cheaper than the VAT. Here in BC you know you are going to pay an additional 14% at the checkout. Carry a calculator if you really can't figure it out, then you'll know exactly how much you're going to pay.

Another point - our car insurance is pretty reasonable really - we pay $108/month for a 2001 minivan. When you look at insurance plus road tax in the UK, it's not so bad. I have a son in the UK who recently was involved in an accident, no fault of his, yet got right royally ripped off by his insurance company.

SIN number - yes you can get paid before you receive it. You get a temporary number first. You better talk to your employer again. Sorry you think the pay is crap but I assume you researched before you came here. Our vacation time is crap too, but it's worth it to be living here.

Vancouver is fantastic, I leave close-by, and believe it's the most beautiful city in the world. One of kids lives in the west end, it's a great place to be. Beaches close by, the best of all worlds.