Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Been in Canada 6 months and......?

Been in Canada 6 months and......?

Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Been in Canada 6 months and......?

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Still wrong... when the ground freezes, the grass dies and turns brown. In the spring the ground thaws and the grass greens up with the rain - same all the way from NS to Ontario. It just takes longer in the spring for things to green up in Alberta.
Frozen dead grass. Never thought about that - too used to UK living where snow only on the ground for a day or so so it's all green underneath (purely pyschological need for green grass in case you're wondering).
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Been in Canada a few months and......?

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi. I've been in Cananda since June last year with hubbie and daughter and we are beginning to find things difficult. Canada is a beautiful country and we have a lovely detached house in a nice neighbourhood that we could never afford back home. My hubbie managed to find a job without too much hassle, although he has had to take a pay cut and I stay at home with the little one. There is a very big car culture here and with us only being able to afford to run 1 car which my hubbie uses for work, means I'm stuck in the house alot of the time and most things are not within walking distance (although there is a bus service).

We have found that although Canadians are very polite and the children better behaved, we are finding the transition difficult. It is very work orientated and we hardly see anyone from week to week and are feeling lonely and isolated. We are thinking of moving back to the UK, but if we do we won't have any regrets about coming here. If anything, it has made us realise what sort of people we are - we need our families around us.

To those of you still waiting to emigrate I would say, just like what was said previously, live your life - enjoy you last few months with friends and family and enjoy the UK/European country. My only other advice would be to try to bring everything you can with you. We threw out or gave away alot of stuff that we could have used here without thinking - Christmas trees and decorations, kitchen utensils etc.

Good luck to all of you.
didnt u know they had christmas in canada?
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:00 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy
didnt u know they had christmas in canada?
Last I heard it had been replaced with 'Winter Holiday Season'
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:45 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi

Would be interested in hearing from anyone that moved to Canada a few months ago to hear their views as to how their move has gone and whether they have any regrets, concerns etc

Have you made the transition to Canadian way of life?
Any regrets about the province you chose?
Have you managed to secure work, and if so how hard a task was it?
Is coping with the Canadian weather harder than you thought?
Is there anything that you should have bought with you and didn't, or visa versa?
Are you getting homesick?

Finally, for those of us who are still stuck in the UK, do you have any suggestions/advice to offer, and given the chance would you have done anything differently during or prior to your move?

We have been here a total of 5 months, spending the first 4 living in a friends basement (the 4 of us) we finally have our own place- now we are starting to learn fully the Canadian experience of running your own home and budgeting etc.

No, not fully, we have got used to driving in the city but still have the occasional wrong side of the road flashback.
For me, a practical guy, I still feel pretty inadequate walking in to Home Depot (the B&Q Equivalent) not understanding the different DIY methods and terminology, just plumbing the vent in our clothes dryer was an epic!
Not at all, Manitoba (clearly not everyones first choice) has been kind to me, my PR has been fast tracked (about 1 year) the people are just so friendly here, our new Canadian friends are the best friends we have ever had. Oh, and the cost of housing here, makes us grin.
I came here on a work permit, so yes I had some luck in securing a job, but I am also fortunate to be in a high demand job (Electrical).
Just like my dog getting used to the cold on his paws! I think it is all about acclimatisation, no one can prepare you for the realities of driving into snow filled ditches (not fun) and having to venture out into the cold, early in the morning, snow blowers and -70C boots are just some of the other commitments that you have to get used to, on the positive side, I want to get into Snowmobiling, my wife is interested in dog sledding so you find your Canadian friends looking forward to the winter so they can have fun.
Is there anything that you should have bought with you and didn't, or visa versa?
No point looking back here, there are lots of things that we would have liked to bring with us, but it was not cost effective, we came with 8 suitcases and our dog, I really miss my Scimitar sports car that I sold, but one day I plan to import.
Yes, every now and again, I have nice memories about my old surroundings but I do not miss them, however I really miss my close family. Sometimes that is very hard to deal with.
Finally, for those of us who are still stuck in the UK, do you have any suggestions/advice to offer, and given the chance would you have done anything differently during or prior to your move?
Dont 'spend spend spend' when you first land, we are glad we did not as you only have your UK exchange rate advantage when you work in the UK. So, watch the pennies from day one (sorry cents)!
Don't give up, you will have some tough times at first, but if you ride through them you will be rewarded.
...The words Quiff and Twot are not to be used lightly!

Darren
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Last I heard it had been replaced with 'Winter Holiday Season'
Yup, belated happy holidays pilgrim...PC blight thriving here too...
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:31 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

[QUOTE=R2D2]Hi Jo
Is there anything you can do to stop these feelings of isolation you have. Its very hard to be on your own in a new places with very few true friends and no Mum to fall back on. It has helped me loads as soon as my son started kindergarten in Sept. He just does half days and I take him and pick him up everyday, so I can meet up and chat to the other Mums and just get to know everyone. Is your child pre-school ? Do you get out to the park/ or pre-school groups ? on a regular basis so you are seeing the same faces week in week out.[QUOTE]

Hi R2D2. Thanks for your advice. I have met a lovely family via this web site that live close by and I have joined a Newcomers Club with them and gone to their Moms and Tots get togethers. I have also taken my daughter to Kindergym with one of my neighbour's kids who is a bit younger than my daughter, but I still don't feel that this is "right" for us. At the end of the day the thing that matters most to us is being with family and friends and no matter how long we are here, that is the only thing that makes us happy. Unfortunately, although we were always close to our families it's only something we have just come to realise being so far away from them!

So, I think it is a big possibility that we'll be heading home this year. I don't see this as a failure, I see it as an adventure that has opened our eyes and made us realise the people we really are.

Good luck to all of you making a go of it, or in the process of.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JoD][QUOTE=R2D2]Hi Jo
Is there anything you can do to stop these feelings of isolation you have. Its very hard to be on your own in a new places with very few true friends and no Mum to fall back on. It has helped me loads as soon as my son started kindergarten in Sept. He just does half days and I take him and pick him up everyday, so I can meet up and chat to the other Mums and just get to know everyone. Is your child pre-school ? Do you get out to the park/ or pre-school groups ? on a regular basis so you are seeing the same faces week in week out.

Hi R2D2. Thanks for your advice. I have met a lovely family via this web site that live close by and I have joined a Newcomers Club with them and gone to their Moms and Tots get togethers. I have also taken my daughter to Kindergym with one of my neighbour's kids who is a bit younger than my daughter, but I still don't feel that this is "right" for us. At the end of the day the thing that matters most to us is being with family and friends and no matter how long we are here, that is the only thing that makes us happy. Unfortunately, although we were always close to our families it's only something we have just come to realise being so far away from them!

So, I think it is a big possibility that we'll be heading home this year. I don't see this as a failure, I see it as an adventure that has opened our eyes and made us realise the people we really are.

Good luck to all of you making a go of it, or in the process of.
I know we're living at more or less opposite ends of Ontario, but we found the best thing we did to meet people was to go to church. We arrived in Red Lake on Saturday, wandered into the local church on Sunday morning and ended up at someone's home for Thanksgiving dinner that day, someone else's the next and so on... These people have now become good friends and have introduced us to lots of other folks. A lot of people up here are inomers like ourselves and are aware of the isolation thing when you first move into an area.
Keep at it with the newcomers thing - if there'd been one here we would have gone along. As it is, there isn't much of anything here!!!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by willmore
You dirty sneak you - stealing my cardinal!
I have had the Cardinal from when I first joined. Your avatar is a funny looking cardinal though, I must say!!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:26 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Been here 4 weeks ( but visited 5 times for 2 years) it was and is I suppose my personal dream, ( as my daughter keeps telling me and not hers!)

Hubby and I were always prepared to give 100% from day one. We picked a wonderful neighboured and have great neigbours all around, something we did not really have in UK. Best news we have had to date. Our house has just been valued at 30% above what it was one year ago. Pretty good return on our money! I am working from home in a my original profession as an artist. Something I could not afford to do in UK! We are debt free and have time to explore the area, meet socially with neigbours, and take time to find work. So from a purely financial point of you, we can enjoy Canadian life.

None at all, we are on Vancouver Island BC. Stunning scenery rain or shine. 30 minutes from ski slopes, across the road from the ocean. Evey day is different and an inspiration to an artist like me, and why I chose it really.

I am working from home and my husband is yet to find work, but to be honest has not been actively looking, as we have quite a lot to do around the house, and have investments. We gave ourselves 3 months to settle in wait for SIN numbers and retake driving lessons. Without either SIN or BC drivers licence you may find it hard to apply for any jobs around here.
Although we are possibly starting our own business in future, and easiest route if this is what you already do like me.

Is coping with the Canadian weather harder than you thought?Is there anything that you should have bought with you and didn't, or visa versa?
Climate her is similar to Dorset in UK. Although it has been very wet of late here, we have odd dry days sunny days and one of snow. It is never very cold here really.
Me and husband , no. The relief to be out of debt for the first time in our lifes, has lowered blood pressure, and stress levels dramatically!!!!! We actually can look forward to the future. Our family is small, and all well travelled, so distance is not an object.
I never think of Uk, I never like life there for me, glad to see the back of it. I love it here so much. This is my home , and I believe I was destined to come here .Husband has no regrets either. My teenager daughter however is missing home terribly, and all her friends. Life here for a 16 year is not as good as in UK. For first few weeks she was enthusiastic, but now wants to go back to Uk to finish college.
School is not the same here, and lifestyle a bit behind. That is my only regret, and I had a feeling it was wrong time for her to come here, but she wanted to give it a go. So we are considering letting her return to complete Uk education as we feel she is actaully going back almost two years here education wise if she stays.
She hates the school here, and I am not that impressed either. She is far more mature than people her age, and until the spring or summer there is little to do when you dont have friends around.

[/QUOTE]

Do no underestimate what you ship, fill every hole box drawer etc with everything you can.
Just because you have visas in hand, does not make it the right time to move. You have have one year to land.
Consider children, jobs, money etc. If you dont have sufficient funds for at least one year without work to live on, and money to buy a car, electrical equipment, insurance etc etc. wait until you do. Compare one years living costs in UK. Cost of living is not cheaper here. Houses are not cheaper to run. They may be cheaper to buy but are going up fast, everything is relative.
This is a complete life change. If you are close to family friends etc in England, question why you are coming and what differences you think it will make. If you come with money or investments, then it is easier than coming without, if you come without, make sure you have a job lined up or you may realise that you have made an ireversible decision.

I have no regrets I did not come with rose tinted glasses and visited several times before moving. You have to be prepared to give up saying "home" -England. You have to look at the long term picture, where you want to be in 5 to 10 years time, not right now. If you cant then it might not be the right move for you.
Once you have asked yourself all those questions and you still want to come, then do. Enjoy , jump in 100% feet first. if , and only if things dont work out in future you can always go back. This is not an option for us, Life is for living, and we like our life now one hell of a lot!!!!!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

We feel completely settled in here, although still do get the occasional stint of homesickness which passes pretty quick. Been here now a year in Ontario. Before that we lived in NS before returning to UK because of homesickness but decided pretty quicksmart that we had made a huge mistake and were lucky enough to return to Ontario. I dont think we would really consider moving back to the UK now. We love it here.[/I][/B]

HUsband was able to secure work fairly easily luckily as environmental engineers seem to be in demand.

Winter can be quite hard but it is fairly warm at the mo, expecting cold soon. Planning on putting in a backyard rink though if it gets cold enough. I get really fed up of having to wear shorts and tshirts every day int he summer!!

NOt Really. More sandwich pickle!!

Yes, every now and again, I always find a really miss the stupidest things!!! Going back for holidays reminds me of why we came here.

Give it some time, more than a year really when you get here until you decide to go back to the UK and dont get disheartened when you first get here. Everything will seem really strange (First time I came I had massive culture shock) and it takes a long time to make really good friends but it will happen if you go out and make the effort to do it. We meet lots of people from taking our son to the park near our house etc. Look at why you left the UK, chances are if you left the UK because you were totally fed up of it, you will become totally fed up of it again when you return (as we did)

Cheers

Sonia

Last edited by daisymoll; Jan 9th 2006 at 8:51 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:46 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I have lived in Canada for just over a year now. I loved it from the moment I arrived from the UK with my young daughter and all our animals, and have loved it a little more every day since - this is my home, no question about it. I have never ever had any pangs of homesickness in the slightest.

I have loads of very good friends and I even get to see my husband once every couple of months LOL!! It will be perfect once he is living here permanently.

My horse-farm business is doing pretty well and money has been coming in for quite a while now, so have been surviving. I have quite a few horses boarding here and I have quite a few regular trail-riding customers. April 2006 is when we really start the trail-riding business proper, so if this is it now in the middle of winter, then I am very optimistic for a good season.

Money is much harder to come by over here - we moved from Hampshire in England where money is in abundance, to a rural community in Ontario where money is not LOL!! We couldn't have survived here, doing what we are doing if we had not arrived with a significant amount of money though. We chose to buy every single thing we own outright, so that we have no monthly payments other than taxes, food, petrol and utility bills and we have found that this was definitely the right thing to do and we live on our income from the farm without too much trouble.

The weather suits me down to the ground over here. I adore winter! Beautiful blue skies and sunshine most of the time with glistening white snow - fabulous! There is the odd cold day, although this winter has been incredibly mild so far. We have all the toys mind you; snow plow, new tractor with A/C and great heater for winter, loads of horses to keep me amused, 4x4's, ski's for ski-ing down our own hills and ice-skates for skating on our pond.

The transition has been simple and pleasant, actually life here is pretty much the same as my life in England........and I love it!! In fact I am having such a great time, I barely have the time to come on here anymore.

Very best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy life here in Canada.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:20 am
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here for about 5 months now. We live in Canmore in the Rockies, a lovely places to live.

For me life hasn't really changed. I loved life in the UK and I love life here. Have the same amount of money, live in a house of similar size. There are things that I can't do in the UK that I can here e.g. snowboarding and vice versa e.g. listen to a decent radio station.

We both got very decent jobs within a month of landing, jobs are great same as they were in England.

So to answer the question, the transition was easy, adjusting was easy, dunno where is better as the advantages and disadvantages balance each other out. So who knows what will happen?

:-)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

[QUOTE=joeboy_UK] There are things that I can't do in the UK that I can here e.g. snowboarding and vice versa e.g. listen to a decent radio station.

/QUOTE]

Most, if not all, UK radio stations are available on the net.

I listen mostly to R4 and Virgin (and local BBC radio for my home team's soccer games)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

SUES is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we are in the process of immigrating to Alberta, my husband is a truck driver, he has some concerns, like how many days he will have to work away from home etc. Is that what your husband didn't like, if you don't mind me asking? We have 4 children from 14-7 years how do you find the schools? How are you finding the weather, is it really cold?
We are all excited about our new lives ahead, and scared at the same time, we live in Cornwall in UK, Canada a Big place.
I would appreciate anyones experiences good or bad, who has moved for a better way of life.
Also we are taking our dog, has anyone Else took a pet and how did they handle the flight etc, A BIG WORRY he's my baby!
Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi Gray C,

We moved to NS in July, and don't have any regrets now. When we first moved here it was hard, as we lived with family and the house sale in Uk fell through, so for the first 4 to 5 months it was still very stressful for us. Now we live in our new house in an area we love.
No regrets about NS, we think we made the right choice for us. Only downful we both have said are the wages, they are really not good compared to Uk.
Hubby, came into a job here, (truck driving,) didn't enjoy the work. I looked on internet and phone book for some contacts at the Airport, and within a day he had had an interview, and by the end of the week had a new job to start on Jan 3rd, which he is now really enjoying, has taken a slight pay cut, but it's not bad. I found work also as soon as I started looking, work as preschool teacher, which again is very under paid, if I can get into schools this year I will be happier.
AS for coping with the weather, hasn' t been a problem yet, we have spent hours digging out one weekend, but hasn't stopped us getting to work yet.
Don't regret not bringing anything, only miss our dog, that died just before coming out, but we are thinking of getting a new puppy in the spring.
We are now settling well into life here, but has not been easy, if we new we were going to have so much stress in our lifes for nearly 3 years then maybe we wouldn't of done it, so glad we did. The best move we have made in our lives for us and my 5 year old son.
What we would of done different in UK prior to our move was live our lives. You don't do anything, because you think you may miss something coming in the post, a phone call from immigration, stupid things like that. We should of continued to go away to Europe on holiday, but you think you need to save money for your rec trip or that would pay for your flight to Canada. So I would say to those in UK just beginning the process still get on with your lives and stop watching the postman.!! I know it's hard and easy to say now we have done it and got here, good luck to everyone still waiting. You will get there.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:26 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=CalgaryBlade]
Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
There are things that I can't do in the UK that I can here e.g. snowboarding and vice versa e.g. listen to a decent radio station.

/QUOTE]

Most, if not all, UK radio stations are available on the net.

I listen mostly to R4 and Virgin (and local BBC radio for my home team's soccer games)
Yes you are right there. I listen on the net too while I wok all day, it's great. I was just using that as an example, can't get the net in my car though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.