Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Bear" minimum in Canada...?

"Bear" minimum in Canada...?

Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

summer75 has a brilliant futuresummer75 has a brilliant futuresummer75 has a brilliant futuresummer75 has a brilliant futuresummer75 has a brilliant futuresummer75 has a brilliant future
Default "Bear" minimum in Canada...?

Hullo,
I've been reading and learning from your posts...Tons of usefull info on here. Recently I've been researching the cost of living in Canada, property prices etc etc I came across a few posts where people mention huge amounts of cash that they will be bringing with them. We're in no position to bring a lot with us. So I'm starting to panic My question is: what is the very bare minimum you need to take with you? I appreciate that it is hard to anticipate...We really like Alberta (Edmonton), but Ontario is our 2nd favourite. I've done quite a lot of research re Alberta, so could anyone advise on cost of living in Ontario. I've looked on www.mls.ca and some of the properties are very cheap and beautiful (cheap comparing to those in UK). We don't need a mansion for sure! The most important criteria is the location, because we have two kids, so schools are important and what the place has to offer. Any advice and piece of info on that would be fantastic!
Cheers, Monika
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:25 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Bear" minimum in Canada...?

Originally Posted by summer75
Hullo,
I've been reading and learning from your posts...Tons of usefull info on here. Recently I've been researching the cost of living in Canada, property prices etc etc I came across a few posts where people mention huge amounts of cash that they will be bringing with them. We're in no position to bring a lot with us. So I'm starting to panic My question is: what is the very bare minimum you need to take with you? I appreciate that it is hard to anticipate...We really like Alberta (Edmonton), but Ontario is our 2nd favourite. I've done quite a lot of research re Alberta, so could anyone advise on cost of living in Ontario. I've looked on www.mls.ca and some of the properties are very cheap and beautiful (cheap comparing to those in UK). We don't need a mansion for sure! The most important criteria is the location, because we have two kids, so schools are important and what the place has to offer. Any advice and piece of info on that would be fantastic!
Cheers, Monika
Alberta a lot, Ontario a little less than a lot.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the bare minimum is the assets cited by CIC to allow you to land.

Number of Family Members :Funds Required(in Canadian dollars)
1 $10,168
2 $12,659
3 $15,563
4 $18,895
5 $21,431
6 $24,170
7 or more $26,910

I arrived with next to nothing (no funds required for work permit), and things worked out, but I wouldnt do that with a family. There is nothing to say you have to buy a house as soon as you land, I saved for 4 years. A lot depends on the likelyhood you will start earning sooner rather than later, and your personal tollerance for risk, and how much stuff you will bring with you, so really its a "piece of string" question.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 26th 2007 at 1:23 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to bring any with you. We have quite a lot already.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You don't have to bring any with you. We have quite a lot already.

Top marks for that one.