Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC tenancy laws

BC tenancy laws

Old Mar 20th 2022, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default BC tenancy laws

Hi there, just trying to work out my situation here.

I am currently living in Vancouver, where rent is bleeding me dry, the constant rain means I spend half my income on bubble tea and Arcteryx!

Looking to leave Vancouver as soon as possible and move into a purchased place of my own, in eastern BC or western Alberta - however some delays on selling my property means I may not have the money in the bank to purchase somewhere at the time my tenancy ends (may be 1-2 months difference).

How does this work with BC's very renter friendly tenancy agreements, Ive been reading they can't force me to leave if I am paying rent and they don't intend to live there, can only up rent by 1.5% per year etc? and appear to go onto month to month at the end of my tenancy.

Obviously the simple answer is to ask my landlord if I can go on to month to month for a couple of months, but think he would hesitate knowing I'm leaving - so just wondering if I am quite within my rights to not mention anything, then give him my notice once I've got a new place secured - can I be forced to sign another 12 month tenancy? (and if he tries to force this on me before the end of my tenancy can I refuse and go onto month by month without getting evicted).
Old Mar 20th 2022, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134
Default Re: BC tenancy laws

So you are renting in Vancouver but are also selling a place in Vancouver, moving to northern BC or Alberta and think there will be a bit gap between when your rental agreement ends and you get the money to buy your new place. If that is the case just use AirBnB for a couple of months either in Vancouver or in your new location
Old Mar 20th 2022, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Hi there, just trying to work out my situation here.

I am currently living in Vancouver, where rent is bleeding me dry, the constant rain means I spend half my income on bubble tea and Arcteryx!

Looking to leave Vancouver as soon as possible and move into a purchased place of my own, in eastern BC or western Alberta - however some delays on selling my property means I may not have the money in the bank to purchase somewhere at the time my tenancy ends (may be 1-2 months difference).

How does this work with BC's very renter friendly tenancy agreements, Ive been reading they can't force me to leave if I am paying rent and they don't intend to live there, can only up rent by 1.5% per year etc? and appear to go onto month to month at the end of my tenancy.

Obviously the simple answer is to ask my landlord if I can go on to month to month for a couple of months, but think he would hesitate knowing I'm leaving - so just wondering if I am quite within my rights to not mention anything, then give him my notice once I've got a new place secured - can I be forced to sign another 12 month tenancy? (and if he tries to force this on me before the end of my tenancy can I refuse and go onto month by month without getting evicted).
Kind of hard to follow your post but after your initial lease period ends (assuming it's a year) then you automatically go month-to-month. If you want to end the lease before the year is up then you would need to talk to your landlord.
Old Mar 21st 2022, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
So you are renting in Vancouver but are also selling a place in Vancouver, moving to northern BC or Alberta and think there will be a bit gap between when your rental agreement ends and you get the money to buy your new place. If that is the case just use AirBnB for a couple of months either in Vancouver or in your new location
Selling somewhere in the UK, trying to avoid trying to find a pet friendly air bnb with private garden etc. as from looking when we moved it's basically very slim pickings

Originally Posted by bc2015
Kind of hard to follow your post but after your initial lease period ends (assuming it's a year) then you automatically go month-to-month. If you want to end the lease before the year is up then you would need to talk to your landlord.
Thanks – yea long and short of it is I want to go on to month to month at the end of my tenancy for maybe 3 months.

Just wasn't sure if i could do and what rights my landlord has to make me sign for another 12 vs my right to stay on month by month etc. ( I've got a shady landlord, wants cash and wants it earlier and earlier every month).
Old Apr 9th 2022, 4:42 am
Just Joined

NicolG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i’m a property manager in BC. As the RTB rules stand at the moment your lease will automatically change to a month to month at the end of your lease. The landlord can only ask you to leave for personal use of property and must give you 2 full calendar months notice and last month rent returned. So you can just continue to live there until you are ready to move. You need to give a full months notice when you leave but it’s always nice to give 2 months if you are in good terms with your landlord. He can’t make you sign another years lease. Hope this helps.