Reload this Page >

BC Home Working Business License

BC Home Working Business License

Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:10 am
Just Joined

lhb0705 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC Home Working Business License

Hi everyone,
I've just got to Vancouver and I'm in the process of trying to get set up to contract as a self employed person back to the company I used to work for in the UK. I'm only doing 20 hours a week.

I have applied for a business name and got this granted and I'm in the process of getting a business licence to be a sole proprietor. However as I am home based for the 2 days work, and renting, the City of Vancouver forms state I need permission from my landlord to operate from my apartment.

It would literally be me, sat on emails for 20 hours a week, no visitors or meetings etc.

My landlord has stated they cannot give me this. I'm sure I cannot be the only person looking to do this however, so I'm wondering if I have followed the wrong process? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Home Working Business License

Nope, that sounds about right.

The 'no visitors, no meetings' isn't really a qualifier, since that's a requirement for City of Vancouver home businesses, posted on the form (condition 2)!

City of Vancouver (in common with many other municipalities) require the owner's approval to issue a business licence for a residence.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Home Working Business License

A lot of strata's also simply don't permit home based businesses which might be why your landlord can't grant you permission.