Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Driving Test

BC Driving Test

Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:56 am
Just Joined

halanddawn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC Driving Test

Can anyone advise on what the driving test in BC is like for those who have a British licence? Is it like the test in the UK where they test you on driving ability etc, or is it just to see how you manage on BC roads? How long does it last?

Any info would be appreciated!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Driving Test

Originally Posted by halanddawn
Can anyone advise on what the driving test in BC is like for those who have a British licence? Is it like the test in the UK where they test you on driving ability etc, or is it just to see how you manage on BC roads? How long does it last?

Hi there,

We took our BC driving tests in November. Firstly, it involves taking a knowledge test on a computer in the government agents office. (However, ours was in an insurance office, as there is not government agent in Powell River).

There is a very helpful thing on the internet where you can do practise knowledge tests, and get your score. There is also the 'highway code' book to read.

Once you have passed your skills test, they book a road test for you. It's very similar to a UK driver test (from what I can remember).

The test examiner takes you for about 45 mins on a route. One of the biggest things to watch out for is observing 30km/hr limits on school or playground areas. All areas like this are clearly marked. They are also looking out for basic things, like making a complete stop at stop signs.

If you fail the road test, you can retake it as many times as you like but it's about $50 each time. You'll need to check this as I can't remember exactly. Also, there is usually a waiting time enforced between each test, of up to 2 weeks.

Also, once your 3 months of driving on your UK license expires, and you fail a BC test, they sieze your UK license. Nice.....

They can do this, as 1. They know you've been driving on a UK license - you have to tell ICBC when you buy car insurance. 2. You have to show it when you book for a driving test. Then the examiner holds onto it until you pass.

In the end, we were very naughty as we drove for nearly 6 months on our UK licenses. As we buy car insurance and book driving tests in the same office, I think they knew once we appeared to ask for our test appointment!!

Good luck with it. Don't be too worried, we agonised over it for so long - and once we did it was fine. I passed first time and my partner Neil passed second time. He retook his in Campbell River as there was a shorter waiting list for test appointments there. He was very annoyed to fail it first time as he had a Class 2 license in the UK and had been driving for much longer in North American than me!

All the best,

Sarah
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I've found the site on the internet now about driver licensing:

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/

Sarah
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:10 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Took mine on Monday, scared stiff about it! However passed. Take a lesson or two with a driving instructor here prior to the lesson. Depending on where you live they know all the routes they will take you, so ou can practice. It is nothing like a UK test ( depending on how long you have driven) They just want to see how confident you are really. Most important observe all speed limits. They love shoulder checking"!! Practice all the time in the fist three months so it comes naturally.
I went when there was a heavy downpour. The guy did not stop talking. It shows that you can do more than two things at once. ( all women can anyway!!) I was out 30 mins. At the end he said well nothing much to say really other than it was a really nice drive!! He gave me my UK licence back and said you dont need it here but you may like it if you go back to UK, and that was that. New licence came today.
I hated the theory test more, had to stand infornt of a machine in the office with loads of people queueing up nattering, really off putting.
Again read the handbook that they give you where you take the theory make sure you read all the book not just the signs and signals bit. They have changed recently and added quite a few knew questions more about driving conditions, cyclists etc. Do the online questions as well. However we found these were much easier than those at the erall test , btu still gives a good idea as to what they will say and how they say them.
I found the hour i had with an instructor well worth it as there is nothing like a practical demonstration of contents of the book. They also say how they think you will do.

Old Mar 11th 2006, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

I was also scared stiff about sitting my test. I don't know why, I've been driving for over 20 years in the UK. I think it had a lot to do with the 3 month time limit, that puts pressure on you to pass first time, especially as in our area there is a six week waiting list to get a test date. I took two driving lessons which is a good idea. I agree with the shoulder checking, they consider it more important here than using your mirrors (although you still have to do that too!). The things my driving instructor told me to work on for my test were, shoulder checking, especially when turning right and keeping within the speed limit, especially within the area of schools and parks.

It's now been just over a month since I passed my test and I don't even know why I was so worried. Within a week of passing my test I was driving from Maple Ridge to Surrey over the Port Mann Bridge as I had to go for training for my new job.

Of course Higgy wasn't even worried about his test, he's been driving on holiday in Canada since he was a teenager. He never had any lessons and passed no problem. In a Dodge Dakota truck!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 11:37 am
Just Joined

complete_mad_house is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Does anyone know whether the 3 month rule starts from the minute you land or when you officially move for good.

We will be landing in April this year, but won't move permanently until July 2007. Would this mean that when we move in July 2007, we won't be able to drive at all straight away, until we pass their driving test?

Thanks

Sarah

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi there,

We took our BC driving tests in November. Firstly, it involves taking a knowledge test on a computer in the government agents office. (However, ours was in an insurance office, as there is not government agent in Powell River).

There is a very helpful thing on the internet where you can do practise knowledge tests, and get your score. There is also the 'highway code' book to read.

Once you have passed your skills test, they book a road test for you. It's very similar to a UK driver test (from what I can remember).

The test examiner takes you for about 45 mins on a route. One of the biggest things to watch out for is observing 30km/hr limits on school or playground areas. All areas like this are clearly marked. They are also looking out for basic things, like making a complete stop at stop signs.

If you fail the road test, you can retake it as many times as you like but it's about $50 each time. You'll need to check this as I can't remember exactly. Also, there is usually a waiting time enforced between each test, of up to 2 weeks.

Also, once your 3 months of driving on your UK license expires, and you fail a BC test, they sieze your UK license. Nice.....

They can do this, as 1. They know you've been driving on a UK license - you have to tell ICBC when you buy car insurance. 2. You have to show it when you book for a driving test. Then the examiner holds onto it until you pass.

In the end, we were very naughty as we drove for nearly 6 months on our UK licenses. As we buy car insurance and book driving tests in the same office, I think they knew once we appeared to ask for our test appointment!!

Good luck with it. Don't be too worried, we agonised over it for so long - and once we did it was fine. I passed first time and my partner Neil passed second time. He retook his in Campbell River as there was a shorter waiting list for test appointments there. He was very annoyed to fail it first time as he had a Class 2 license in the UK and had been driving for much longer in North American than me!

All the best,

Sarah
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by complete_mad_house
Hi

Does anyone know whether the 3 month rule starts from the minute you land or when you officially move for good.

We will be landing in April this year, but won't move permanently until July 2007. Would this mean that when we move in July 2007, we won't be able to drive at all straight away, until we pass their driving test?

Thanks

Sarah
If you're not resident (resident with a small "r", living there...not to be confused with being a Permanent Resident of Canada), there's no obligation to have a driving license from there. The countdown will start when you move and become resident (small "r"!) imho.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:00 pm
Banned

Athome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
If you're not resident (resident with a small "r", living there...not to be confused with being a Permanent Resident of Canada), there's no obligation to have a driving license from there. The countdown will start when you move and become resident (small "r"!) imho.

I agree, the 90 days starts from when you become a resident of BC, not a Resident of Canada.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Athome
I agree, the 90 days starts from when you become a resident of BC, not a Resident of Canada.
You and I agreeing on something? How unlike old times!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 1:18 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

i was gutted to find out we had to take the test especially when japanese people can just swap their licence over. (nothing again japanese people of course) anyway it was very easy. just dont do it on lonsdale ave at lunch time during one of north vancouvers infamous huge rain storms!

Last edited by Londonuck; Mar 15th 2006 at 1:31 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

complete_mad_house is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I can stop panicking about that one now. Plenty of other stuff to panic about.....

We land in 2 weeks!!

Sarah
Old Mar 25th 2006, 5:13 am
dont be afraid to reply

cov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to all
Wink Re: BC Driving Test

Originally Posted by complete_mad_house
Hi

Thanks for your replies. I can stop panicking about that one now. Plenty of other stuff to panic about.....

We land in 2 weeks!!

Sarah
i took my test 2 months ago let me give you just one peace of advice book it it on saturday morning the earlier the better, trust me on this one the canadians just cant drive. but at this time of the morinig they are all in the house and the roads are empty.. are you will pass . just remeber to keep talking to the instructor.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:09 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi there,

I've found the site on the internet now about driver licensing:

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/

Sarah
A very useful site...I particularly like the practice test facility.....guess who needs more practice!!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 4:46 pm
Banned

Athome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura about

Be sure you don't do as SarahBC says she and her husband did, "In the end, we were very naughty as we drove for nearly 6 months on our UK licenses. As we buy car insurance and book driving tests in the same office, I think they knew once we appeared to ask for our test appointment!!"

Having PAID for insurance and being COVERED by insurance are 2 different things. If they had been involved in an accident after their 90 days of legal driving, their insurance would NOT have covered them. They would also have been liable to be charged for driving without a VALID license.