Reload this Page >

BC drivers license

BC drivers license

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

supafly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BC drivers license

thanks alison - very helpful reply.

oh and you didn't say - apart from all the stressing, do you think it was a tough test?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

Alison's comments are pretty spot on. I took my test last week (passed) but whilst waiting in the ICBC centre at least 5 or 6 teenagers came back in after failing!!!
Also whilst doing my signals etc the car next to me pulled out and proceeded to scrape the whole right hand side of their car along a 2ft high wall trying to turn out if the car park!!!!! Pretty much every panel was trashed.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by supafly
thanks alison - very helpful reply.

oh and you didn't say - apart from all the stressing, do you think it was a tough test?
Once you pass it all feels like a bit of an anti-climax and you wonder why all the stressing but glad it's all over. Would say test is very similar to that in uk apart from differing rules etc. I passed on my 2nd attempt in the uk and remember telling myself "thank god I aint got to do that again". Little did I know then what I would be doing 20 years later.

I would just say drive safely as you normally would and emhasize mirror and shoulder checks and follow all the rules and you'll be fine.

I'm know if I were an examiner I would have more confidence in the person knowing that they had taken some instruction here. I drove my instructors car for the test and he was great support.

One thing I forgot - practise your hazard perception, I had to do this on 4 occasions while driving on my test. Things to maybe include are blind driveways, garbage bins, parked cars, cyclist behind you, railway track approaching, shadows, light conditions, weather conditions, pedestrians, buggys, things that may happen unexpectedly, lights about to change, playground or school zone, animals or kids which may run into your path, other road users in general. Others may want to add to this list.

All the best. Got my fingers crossed for you. Let us know how you get on.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:20 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alison33
I passed my BC test last Monday
Congratulations! Finally sorted then...lol... We should catch up before my son moves into yours...
Old Jul 24th 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dingbat
Congratulations! Finally sorted then...lol... We should catch up before my son moves into yours...
Thanks. Hope you had a good stressfree holiday! Would be great to get together soon. I've been doing some decorating so haven't really noticed little visitors. I'll give you a call..
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

jonesyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, i have my test in two days and i am worried that if worse case happens i fail and they take my licence away from me, i am due for a visit home in nov where i intend to be driving using my UK licence what should i do?

Need BC licence as a friend is coming over and we planned a mini road trip,

been here for a year and a half, and drove for a year not realising that it was from the start of the work permit, was told driving to the states reset the clock so too speak.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

losttraveller is an unknown quantity at this point

what about if you have 2 licences? I mean orriginal UK and replacement in case you lost one. If you hand them one, you still got another.Right? I don't mean to be giving bad ideas to someone but if the licence was ok to drive on before you failed your test then surerly you are not doing anything wrong. I am not saying have two licences purposly but the idea of 2 licences is if you lose one. Only problem would be if you caught by police etc. or would it be? Is it recorded somewhere if you failed your test?
THIS IS NOT TO ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO DO THIS! Just asking questions how it would work.x
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:36 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by losttraveller
what about if you have 2 licences? I mean orriginal UK and replacement in case you lost one. If you hand them one, you still got another.Right? I don't mean to be giving bad ideas to someone but if the licence was ok to drive on before you failed your test then surerly you are not doing anything wrong. I am not saying have two licences purposly but the idea of 2 licences is if you lose one. Only problem would be if you caught by police etc. or would it be? Is it recorded somewhere if you failed your test?
THIS IS NOT TO ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO DO THIS! Just asking questions how it would work.x
Yes you are doing something wrong. A drivers license is a permit to drive within the law. In BC you can drive on a UK license for 90 days, once that is up you cannot use that permit to drive. the purpose of a test is to determine a standar, if you take a test and fail, that standard has not been met and you no longer have driving privileges, whatever pieces if paper or plastic you have from elsewhere.

The insurance and licensing authority in BC are fully aware of any driving infractions where the police are involved or traffic light cameras. If you drive illegally you also risk invalidating your insurance. This would include driving over the 90 day limit and not taking the test as well as driving after failing the test.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:49 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonesyp
Hello, i have my test in two days and i am worried that if worse case happens i fail and they take my licence away from me, i am due for a visit home in nov where i intend to be driving using my UK licence what should i do?

Need BC licence as a friend is coming over and we planned a mini road trip,

been here for a year and a half, and drove for a year not realising that it was from the start of the work permit, was told driving to the states reset the clock so too speak.
If you fail your test then no more driving in BC until you pass. However you're still legal to drive in the UK for your visit in Nov. Do you have the paper portion of your UK driving licence as well - use that when you're back in the UK.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice

Got the Test today at 11, will see how i do!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Passed! The canadian adventure continues!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:48 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonesyp
Passed! The canadian adventure continues!
Well done!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - it's something I have yet to do, and I need to get on with it really!!!

May practice driving on Monday with my current house mate, as we're off to Ikea, so it will be useful to have the opportunity to drive....

I'm so scared - I passed in the UK when I was 17 (first time ) but somehow I think after over 15 years I won't be able to pull it off here????

But, if my brother who's a useless driver passed his test in Houston, then I guess there is some hope!

Bx
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry. You'll be in excellent company if you fail at least the first couple of times.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Linzania is on a distinguished road

Really useful information here, thanks for everyone for taking time out to help otheres

I am coming to Vancouver in a few weeks time on a BUNAC visa and I'm planning on staying there for a year.

Can I use an International Driving Licence from the UK to drive in Canada for that first year? I have used that successfully abroad before for long periods of time but I'm confused as to whether I can do that in BC before having to get a Canadian licence.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.