Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC drivers license

BC drivers license

Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

supafly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC drivers license

So for those of you who have taken your BC drivers test - was it easy, did you need to take any extra lessons, what was the format of the actual driving test?

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sam the lamb has a spectacular aura aboutSam the lamb has a spectacular aura aboutSam the lamb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BC drivers license

Originally Posted by supafly
So for those of you who have taken your BC drivers test - was it easy, did you need to take any extra lessons, what was the format of the actual driving test?

Thanks
Very easy - unless your a rubbish driver then dont worry about lessons.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

so what was the actual format of the driving test?

you went out with a driver and shoulder checked a lot, kept to the speed limit.. any other tips?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

oh yeah and what about a pre-trip check?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:07 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I failed it twice before passing with a rather lenient instructor.

I am, however, atrocious at driving.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Brand new wiki: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Gettin...er%27s_license
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:54 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Complete stop at stop signs, know how 4-way stop works, shoulder check when turning in either direction, know the speed limit and don't speed especially in school zones. Read the roadsense book.

Mange all these and you'll pass.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:00 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Complete stop at stop signs, know how 4-way stop works, shoulder check when turning in either direction, know the speed limit and don't speed especially in school zones. Read the roadsense book.

Mange all these and you'll pass.
Also, don't jump any red lights and try not to hit too many pedestrians.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

..and be aware that there is no 'end school zone' sign, look for the back of the one signifying the start of the zone for traffic in the opposite direction!

Other posts pretty much cover it, expect to spend half an hour making left turn after left turn to and from main roads. Shoulder check, shoulder check.

If you're doing it in Vancouver, do it from the Macdonald test center so the 'highway' you go on is the one out by UBC.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

techwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
..and be aware that there is no 'end school zone' sign, look for the back of the one signifying the start of the zone for traffic in the opposite direction!

Other posts pretty much cover it, expect to spend half an hour making left turn after left turn to and from main roads. Shoulder check, shoulder check.

If you're doing it in Vancouver, do it from the Macdonald test center so the 'highway' you go on is the one out by UBC.
Hi Iain,

Whats so good about the 'highway' at UBC ?

GW
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation ICBC - Rubbish

Hi,

When you attend for the driving test, you are made to hand over the license you've been using in BC (your British license).

If you fail, they keep your British license until you pass the BC test. They deem you unable to drive then until you pass. Even though you've been driving in BC right up to that moment.

Make sure they put your UK license somewhere safe. My partner Neil had his UK license nabbed after failing the first time (he has a HGV license and didn't want to go through the hassle of obtaining a replacement) and they lost it for some time in the office. After much rootling through drawers and cupboards they triumphantly held it aloft and said "we found it!".

I passed first time, so at least one of us could continue driving until Neil could take his test again.

So no pressure then.

All the best,

Sarah
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:35 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

it is definitely worth having a lesson or two to go over the most likely route and to get into the Canadian way of driving.

Best of luck!

Clare
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Whats so good about the 'highway' at UBC ?
It's a highway in name only, and has about ten cars on it. It's in a very quiet part of town and to get there and back involves some easy roads.

This is in contrast with many of the other stretches of highway in Metro Vancouver, which are chock full of speeding eighteen wheelers and pass through major urban centers.

A highway drive forms part of the test.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sam the lamb
Hi there,

Be wary of the above comment. I've known some very good British drivers to fail! Some of the rules are different, so I encourage you to take a least one lesson.

Good Luck
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sam the lamb

Originally Posted by Juliew
Hi there,

Be wary of the above comment. I've known some very good British drivers to fail! Some of the rules are different, so I encourage you to take a least one lesson.

Good Luck
I passed my BC test last Monday and we were told not to worry "in BC if you can breath they'll hand out licences". Remember when you were about to sit your first UK test - well it certainly don't feel any different, if anything it's worse as you feel you now need to prove yourself all over again and also the fact that your now driving on the right side of the road with very different rules.

I had 3 lessons and 1 of these was prior to my test. I consider myself to be a pretty good driver and can reverse park no problem when it's between two cars but I was really crap at reversing into a parking space in a empty car park. I fretted so much about it I got my OH to take me out the evening before and practise.

Although I'm a newbie licensee - here are some tips I would advise having just done it.
1. Know your hand signals (left, right and stop)
2. Make sure you know where all the controls in the car are
3. Ensure foot is on brake when putting car into drive (sounds silly I know)
4. Observe 30KM rule in school zones (instant fail if ignored unless like me it's during school holidays then forget it but I did ask my examiner what he expected from me when it came to school zones)
5. Observe 30KM in hospital areas (could also be instant fail)
6. Look out for play area signs
7. Shoulder Checks are a must
8. At stop signs - fully stop and wait for 3 seconds
9. If clear to go at red light for right turn you must also stop and wait 3 secs before pulling away.
10. Make it overly obvious of mirror use
11. Stick to the speed limits (some don't like it when you go too slow or too fast)
12. Act with confidence and try no to hesitate unless situation is unsafe.
13. Remember that there are some lunatics already on the roads so keep your wits about you at all times.

You may be taken briefly on the highway, asked to do a 3 point turn, a parallel park, a reverse park. Ensure you know which way to turn your wheels if parked on a hill with and without curbs, up or facing down as you may get asked.

Loads of folk told me your a good driver it'll be easy but, I still had a sleepless night, spent early morning in bathroom with trots and it was the longest morning of my life. Oh! and I had to ask for them to give me back my UK licence and was told you don't need it - no but I sat the UK test and had to pay for it. So I now have both - don't let them keep it unless you fail or have to exchange your licence as in some provinces where you don't have to pay for a retest.

Can't think of anything else that may help but suggest you read and reread the book - take the test like it's your very first.

I'm pretty sure most people feel the same before a test especially when you could lose the right to drive automatically on failure and when you have all your work colleagues waiting to see whether you've passed. As with the move to Canada it's one big hurdle after another and it makes us all stronger. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.