Bay of Quinte

Old Dec 11th 2006, 11:54 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Bay of Quinte

Hi All

Anybody have any advice on the above area specifically Kingston what the schools are like and what its like to live there, we are going to visit when we come in may but I would like some info on what its like there.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kind regards

Danny
Old Dec 12th 2006, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bay of Quinte

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Hi All

Anybody have any advice on the above area specifically Kingston what the schools are like and what its like to live there, we are going to visit when we come in may but I would like some info on what its like there.

Kind regards

Danny
Have lived in Napanee which is close to Quinte for the past 30+ years and would'nt live anywhere else. No experience concerning schools but haven't heard anything negative.

Good things include
- laid back lifestyle
- reasonable property prices
- easy access to cities (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal) 2-3hrs away.
- Easy access to recreation such as lakes, beach, golf, boating etc.
- Moderate weather (no hurricanes, tsunamis etc., winters not as cold as Ottawa or Montreal).
- Kingston & Belleville have small cities amenities but no gridlock.
- World class university in Kingston at Queen's

Negatives include
- limited employment prospects
Old Dec 12th 2006, 11:38 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Bay of Quinte

Originally Posted by flashman
Have lived in Napanee which is close to Quinte for the past 30+ years and would'nt live anywhere else. No experience concerning schools but haven't heard anything negative.

Good things include
- laid back lifestyle
- reasonable property prices
- easy access to cities (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal) 2-3hrs away.
- Easy access to recreation such as lakes, beach, golf, boating etc.
- Moderate weather (no hurricanes, tsunamis etc., winters not as cold as Ottawa or Montreal).
- Kingston & Belleville have small cities amenities but no gridlock.
- World class university in Kingston at Queen's

Negatives include
- limited employment prospects
Hi There

Thanks for that, I am 40 or 50 miles in all directions for work thats the usual for me anyway, but I hope to consider that area but I guess it will depend on the the job prospects like you say.(O AND THE SMALL ASPECT OF OUR APP GETTING ACCEPTED)

Although everything else looks very encouraging.

thanks again much appreciated.

Danny
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Hi All

Kind regards

Danny
Sorry, meant to reply to your email, but it got overlooked

Kingston is not really Quinte, although I guess its the nearest "big" City...its where we go for medical referals and to get OHIP cards on the spot etc. I guess its got more specialized and up market shops than Belleville / Trenton too. (and all the Jails and government offices are there)

Flashman has covered most of the basics, Jobs are somewhat limited, but there are opportunities here and the market is not totally saturated with newcomers like the GTA is.

Working in Kingston and living in the Quinte area is an option I suppose. Probably 45 mins from Belleville to Kingston, although its a pretty boring (and well policed ) stretch of the 401, and its has its fair share of accidents in the winter.

I like living here, its relaxed pace of life with a nice community spirit. Nothing too exciting ever happens, but theres enough low key stuff to keep us busy, and if we want big city excitement then we can reach TO, Ottawa or Montreal fairly easily (by canadian standards). Having at leat one car is a necessity though outside the city downtown core.

Property is still fairly cheap in this area, although people moving here from the GTA is pushing proces up and there is a lot of new construction around town.

My oldest kid has only just started kindergarten here, so far so good. Traveling into town for an early start is a pain, but that was partly due to the choices we made to put her in French Immersion. Most of the kids I know are very polite and well adjusted...I dont think you can ask more from the school system...by the time they reach the point of coming to work they are pretty well literate and numerate.

What else were you wondering about? If you want pictures of the area then there are some in my photo gallery here
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=16059
and more of the neighbourhood here
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/iaink/?start=all
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely photos!!