Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Baseball - who to support?

Baseball - who to support?

Old Dec 4th 2005, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

mctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nice
Default Baseball - who to support?

Hi all,

We hope to be on our way to BC next summer, and I'm really looking forward to getting into major league baseball (watching, not playing!!!). It struck me, however, that without an MLB franchise in BC, the question of which team to call 'my' team is a difficult one to answer.

The way I see it, there are three options:
  1. The Vancouver Canadians are an affiliate of the Oakland A's, so following the A's would at least have a link back to a local team and players.
  2. The Seattle Mariners would be the closest team by far, so actually getting to more games would be possible.
  3. Be patriotic and support the only Canadian MLB team, the Blue Jays.

Have others put this amount of thought into this decision, or am I being a bit romantic about the concept of following 'my' team? Should I just pick one, in the same way that a lot of people in the UK (and all over the world) support Manchester United because they've heard of the players and they tend to have some successes now and again.

I'd be very interested to hear what others think

Ta,

Mike.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baseball - who to support?

Originally Posted by mctunes
Hi all,
  1. The Vancouver Canadians are an affiliate of the Oakland A's, so following the A's would at least have a link back to a local team and players.
  2. The Seattle Mariners would be the closest team by far, so actually getting to more games would be possible.
  3. Be patriotic and support the only Canadian MLB team, the Blue Jays.
This stuff is important to a sports fan.

To try and help your thought process I would dismiss the Blue Jays if you are going to live in BC. It "seems" no-one from BC likes anything from Toronto, unless you actually originate from Toronto.

The Vancouver Canadians are an option, but the link with the A's will not last forever, and with myself being a Mariner fan I would finding it hard to encourage anyone to follow the A's.

Seattle Mariners are the only option and if you want, its only a 2 hour drive to the home games. You never know your luck, you may even get to see them win.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:48 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be very interested to hear what others think
Why not just sear yourself with red hot cattle-branding irons? It's would probably be more entertaining and a little less painful than watching MLB! ...actually I'm nearly serious!

Personally, I would opt for the Mariners... eventhough the thrill of being in the Kingdome is gone.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

PROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant future

Hi

Having been to SAFECO Field, WOW you can't go wrong supporting the mariners, BUT

WHAT the hell, Support the METS....Its the year of NEW YORK
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

mctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nice

Originally Posted by philcUK
This stuff is important to a sports fan... Seattle Mariners are the only option and if you want, its only a 2 hour drive to the home games. You never know your luck, you may even get to see them win.
You are absolutely right, and that's pretty much the conclusion I'd come to. Thanks for the advice

Ta,

Mike.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Why not just sear yourself with red hot cattle-branding irons? It's would probably be more entertaining and a little less painful than watching MLB! ...actually I'm nearly serious!
I take it you're not an avid cricket fan then?

Ta,

Mike.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:37 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it you're not an avid cricket fan then?

Ta,

Mike.
The first day of a test match is more exciting than a baseball game. Several years ago I suffered a Blue Jays game. Later analysis of the match stats showed that the ball had been hit "legtimately" on average once every seven minutes.

Even Chris Tavare was more interesting than that. And he didn't spit.