Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bankers Draft without Canadian Bank Account

Bankers Draft without Canadian Bank Account

Old Oct 29th 2018, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Awain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bankers Draft without Canadian Bank Account

I need to pay first and last month's rent on a property in Toronto. The agent says i need to pay with a bankers draft or Certified Cheque from a Canadian bank, problem is I don't have a Canadian bank account yet (visa still not issued). The agent has suggested I deposit the money with a friend and get a bankers draft from their account, but I'd prefer to not involve a friend in a financial transaction. Is there another way to get a bankers draft from a Canadian bank?
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bankers Draft without Canadian Bank Account

Originally Posted by Awain
I need to pay first and last month's rent on a property in Toronto. The agent says i need to pay with a bankers draft or Certified Cheque from a Canadian bank, problem is I don't have a Canadian bank account yet (visa still not issued). The agent has suggested I deposit the money with a friend and get a bankers draft from their account, but I'd prefer to not involve a friend in a financial transaction. Is there another way to get a bankers draft from a Canadian bank?
Thanks in advance.
No.

Why can't you just use TransferWise (or another FOREX company) to convert the money from GBP to CAD and deposit directly into the bank account of the landlord? I did this when I bought the house here for the deposit. All you need is their Inst Code, Transit Number and Bank account no.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Awain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond repute

I suggested that. They are insisting on a bankers draft
Old Oct 29th 2018, 3:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think you need a visa to open a bank account? You don't.

or there is this https://www.canadapost.ca/common/too...moneyord-e.asp or send via Western Union
Old Oct 29th 2018, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Why do you think you need a visa to open a bank account? You don't.

or there is this https://www.canadapost.ca/common/too...moneyord-e.asp or send via Western Union
All I've seen online says I need a valid passport and immigration papers. Is that not the case?
Old Oct 29th 2018, 5:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

All I've seen online says I need a valid passport and immigration papers. Is that not the case?
A visitor can open a bank account, you just need valid ID.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Can I open a Newcomer account afterwards?
Old Oct 29th 2018, 8:20 pm

I just opened an account and still have the same account 25 years late. You just update them with a change of address and SIN.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 2:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Have you actually seen the property and met the landlord in person? If not, have you done due diligence and ascertained that the company is legitimate, registered and will hold the money. Are they the Landlord / the Landlords Agent? Are they acting for him in finding a tenant or acting for you in finding you a place?

Please tell me you haven't got this from Craigslist or similar... there's a lot of scammers out there. How did you find the agent?

I wouldn't even consider paying whilst overseas or by bank draft unless they are a Realtor who have given you their license details - which you have checked out - and are going to hold the money until you can take possession. Have they signed a rental agreement/contract with you - do you have a copy of it? My concern would be that a Bank Draft is untraceable once issued - and you would have no way of tracking them down if they are scammers.

If they are legitimate perhaps they could offer their company bank account details for a telegraphic / wire transfer to secure the unit as you are still overseas. If they are an agent - a Realtor - perhaps you could ask them if you can send a wire transfer to them and they can get the banker draft issued? I would proceed with extreme caution though.. how long is it until you will arrive to take possession of the unit? A realtor would normally be able to assist you in this..

Please be VERY careful.
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-c...ment.html#toc6

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 30th 2018 at 2:54 am.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Stuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar problem trying to buy a house (which my wife went to see ) before we arrive. I emailed all of the banks and the only one that gave a halfway positive response was RBC, who, after much consternation / emailing / attestation of documentation, managed to open an account for us before arriving (normal) but then handled the transfer of funds to our lawyer to complete the purchase (not usually permitted). In our case it was a transfer but I would imagine they'd be able to send a draft the same way.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

On a visit to Canada, before moving here, I opened an account at CIBC. All I needed was my UK passport and/or UK Driving license. The lady in the bank was surprised, but that was all the website said I needed (which is why I chose CIBC )
Today the site says "eligible foreign passport", but I suspect UK is on that list; and certainly the UK Driving license is still acceptable ID: https://www.cibc.com/en/apply/accept...ification.html
You would need to use a friends address of course.
They asked for my SIN, but it isn't obligatory and I just said I didn't have it yet as I had only just arrived.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to open a Scotiabank account whilst visiting Canada in early 2017. After I became a permanent resident a few months later, Scotiabank switched me onto their New Immigrant (or something like that) banking account, which meant that I qualified for various perks aimed at newcomers – $100 plus a few other things I forget now .