Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Originally Posted by Tripitaka

Onto reviewing PCF and Coast then... Not sure how to choose between the two at the moment.
If you intend to travel then PC proabably has more coverage as a national brand, plus you seem to be a fan of reward points, which with PC can be collected and converted at any of the huge number of loblaws umbrella group of stores. (think Tescos, only more of a monopoly)
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Just looking through the Coast offerings and a couple of questions come to mind now I'm getting to grips with this stuff:

I can see that scheduled bill payments will work for me for the most part instead of Direct Debits, but how do you handle bills like mobile phone or other consumption services where the actual bill is likely to change each month? I guess the answer is probably PADs and with someone like a mobile phone company, that is no real risk but is that the only way without having to look at the bill and adjust it each month?

HyperWallet - isn't this just an alternative PayPal?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:58 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking through the Coast offerings and a couple of questions come to mind now I'm getting to grips with this stuff:

I can see that scheduled bill payments will work for me for the most part instead of Direct Debits, but how do you handle bills like mobile phone or other consumption services where the actual bill is likely to change each month? I guess the answer is probably PADs and with someone like a mobile phone company, that is no real risk but is that the only way without having to look at the bill and adjust it each month?

HyperWallet - isn't this just an alternative PayPal?
we pay our rogers bill ( cell phones and cable) online when it arrives each month. backwards i know , but welcome to Canada
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
...backwards i know , but welcome to Canada
If the UK is "forwards" then give me all the "backwards" I can take! I haven't yet come across anything that I think I will miss about this crowded little outpost.

I work in Management of Change so I'm well aware that "different" does not automatically mean "worse" and I like the change of culture. I don't want to move and have a British culture because I like the Canadian one and that suits me fine.

This thread is helping me slot the changes together and make sense of what the picture looks like. Once I have understood it a lot better, I'll put what I found in the Wiki.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

how do you handle bills like mobile phone or other consumption services where the actual bill is likely to change each month?
In many cases its easiest to just have it go on a credit card and then pay the CC off each month. More points that way too
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
In many cases its easiest to just have it go on a credit card and then pay the CC off each month. More points that way too
I'm liking this more and more! As you know, many companies in the UK *require* a D/D so the ability to allocate even more of my normal spending to rewards-based payments methods is a definite attraction.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 3:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducktastic
The Canadian version is different,

http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/en/personal/hsbcpremier

Who knows what they do if your assets are spread across two countries.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Get used to using cheques a lot more, and in some cases , paying for the privilege of having " personalized ones" I.e. With your name and account number and stuff on
I can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque. All of my payments and deposits are automatic. I use ING direct for my on-line savings and bank with TD Canada Trust.
I have arranged for my credit cards payments to be paid in full at my bank.
Also I only recieve on line statements.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

I've spoken with Coast Capital and they seem very helpful; they have a much wider range of affiliated credit cards available than PCF and indeed one of them comes out in the top three that I would seek. They are prepared to put a referral to Visa through based on income rather than just have Visa test on credit history, of which there is none in Canada. I can't open the account until I arrive though as I need a BC ID which I won't get until I file the papers at Vancouver airport on entry. Hmm...assumption alert!!! I am assuming that is when I will get a BC ID; am I correct or is there a waiting period?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've spoken with Coast Capital and they seem very helpful; they have a much wider range of affiliated credit cards available than PCF and indeed one of them comes out in the top three that I would seek. They are prepared to put a referral to Visa through based on income rather than just have Visa test on credit history, of which there is none in Canada. I can't open the account until I arrive though as I need a BC ID which I won't get until I file the papers at Vancouver airport on entry. Hmm...assumption alert!!! I am assuming that is when I will get a BC ID; am I correct or is there a waiting period?
ID would typically be a driving license so, no, that won't be issued at the airport.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

We set up HSBC premier a/c and its brill, there is a HSBC in Nanaimo and they have been very helpful. I also use the presidents choice mastercard and pay it off each time I use it. Just like Tesco the points are accumulated to use for shopping at Superstore. I have found it really easy to pay bills on line with the HSBC and the global transfer has your money transferred in minutes. I am just sat watching the pound/$ to change some now. Just gone to $1.40 to pound so now changing as thats the highest its been in months. Good luck with the move.
PS Did it all in the Poulton Branch and they sorted the Canada side as well

Last edited by emmabell; Nov 18th 2010 at 7:11 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

! I am assuming that is when I will get a BC ID; am I correct or is there a waiting period?
BCID is the card issued to people who want some BC government issued photo ID but who do not want to drive. You can apply at any driver services centre and it arrives in the mail in about a week to ten days.

If you drive you can just swap your driver's license for a BC one and it takes the same time to arrive.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:17 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Presidents choice. Its Free. like actually totaly free, not free if you do this this and that, just free. Plus I get points on transactions that go towards paying for my groceries, this is actualy worth several hundred dollars a year to me as my mortgage is with them too. I dont need to keep a large balance in order to get free unlimited transactions.

Cash machines dont really matter is you get cash back at most stores when paying with interac direct debit... no charge for that and stores everywhere to use
I'm in Nanaimo & use PC too, also if you need a bank with longer opening hours TD Canada Trust are open till 6 & 8pm on certain days plus Saturdays.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:45 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

OK, we have fallen in love with the idea of this account as we are points freaks too. How do we set this up? Can we do it from the UK?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Howefamily
OK, we have fallen in love with the idea of this account as we are points freaks too. How do we set this up? Can we do it from the UK?
Simple enough to do (instructions on the website), but you have to be canadian resident (PR?) to do it, and of course all the usual hassles surrounding new residents/ canadian credit rating etc apply to getting the credit card from them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.