Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bank and mortgage question!

Bank and mortgage question!

Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of
Default Bank and mortgage question!

This is a long shot, but someone might have an answer

The bank we are with, who have lots of worldwide branches, have decided to change what ATM's etc its customers can use. We are with the bank because we banked with them in the UK and it was easy to open up an account once here and get a mortgage with them etc. Our local branch is a twenty five minute drive from where we live, which hasn't been a problem until now, as they've had an agreement with another bank that their customers can use it's ATM's for free and make deposits for free via the ATM.

This all changes in a few weeks when they will no longer offer the deposit service and withdrawals will be charged. We don't want to do a fifty minute round trip every time we want to withdraw money or make a deposit so we'd like to change our current account to the bank that is near where we live!

If we were to open up a new current account with a different bank would this affect our mortgage? Do we have to bank with the bank our mortgage is with? Seems like a strange question I know, but I've noticed that banking does work differently here!

I'm still waiting for the personal banker to get in touch with me so wondered if any of you lovely people had any experience of this here.

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank and mortgage question!

Originally Posted by luvmykids

The bank we are with, who have lots of worldwide branches, have decided to change what ATM's etc its customers can use. We are with the bank because we banked with them in the UK and it was easy to open up an account once here and get a mortgage with them etc. Our local branch is a twenty five minute drive from where we live, which hasn't been a problem until now, as they've had an agreement with another bank that their customers can use it's ATM's for free and make deposits for free via the ATM.

This all changes in a few weeks when they will no longer offer the deposit service and withdrawals will be charged. We don't want to do a fifty minute round trip every time we want to withdraw money or make a deposit so we'd like to change our current account to the bank that is near where we live!

If we were to open up a new current account with a different bank would this affect our mortgage? Do we have to bank with the bank our mortgage is with? Seems like a strange question I know, but I've noticed that banking does work differently here!

I'm still waiting for the personal banker to get in touch with me so wondered if any of you lovely people had any experience of this here.

Thanks
I bank with PC but my mortgage is with RBC. Your mortgage provider will just get the money from your designated account (can be at any bank) like it's a direct debit or standing order every month/bi weekly/whatever you've agreed with them.
If you need cash, you can do cashback using your debit card at the supermarkets.

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Feb 18th 2010 at 6:57 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Why not just pay the withdrawal fee for using others' ATM, or don't use cash.

Maybe you would rather incur the expense of driving for 50 minutes rather than the expense of using anothers' ATM.

The sensible option is to change banks, no it won't affect your mortgage, you will just have to work out how to pay it from your new account
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The sensible option is to change banks, no it won't affect your mortgage, you will just have to work out how to pay it from your new account
I switched my mortgage, which is with Scotiabank, from a PC account to a TD one. I just walked into a Scotiabank branch I was passing, explained and gave them a cancelled cheque for the new account. Done.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of

Excellent. Thanks, everyone, hubby is on the phone with the bank now
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Thanks

Hi I work for a bank here and as far as I know it makes no odds if you have a bank account with another financial institution with regards to your mortgage as long as you are able to pay your mortgage one or the other it is fine. I have 2 banks accounts with different financial institutions and have my mortgage somewhere completely different. If you go on a bank plan which is a monthly fee and you can choose which one suits you best it can allow you certain amount of transactions without being charged and can be quite cost effective in the long term.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

I believe the OP is talking about HSBC Canada, where I bank too

I did a check when hearing this news, this is what I found

Will I not be able to use BMO Bank of Montreal ATMs?
You will be able to use Bank of Montreal ATMs for cash withdrawals; convenience and transaction fees may apply. You will be able to make deposits at all HSBC ATMs and, for Personal banking customers, THE EXCHANGE Network ATMs, though you will no longer be able to do so at Bank of Montreal ATMs.
Where else can I access a surcharge free ATM?
You can access any HSBC or THE EXCHANGE Network ATM surcharge free. Find one near you at: hsbc.ca/atm.
What is The exchAnge network?
This network is participated in by a number of banks and credit unions, and provides convenient access at over 2,300 ATMs across Canada displaying THE EXCHANGE logo
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, you are correct, HSBC! The trouble is all of these "Exchange" ATM's are a twenty minute drive from where we live. We are seeing the banker on Thursday and will probably change our account. Thanks for the help everyone.