bank accounts

Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:50 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: bank accounts

Originally Posted by dbd33
TD and PC Financial do.
thanks
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:52 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I receive good service from my banks (TD and BMO) and I'm happy (well, not entirely) with the massive profits cos I bought stock in 4 of those 5 many years ago!
This doesn't fit with the widely held view of you as an eco-warrior, anti-capitalist, save the planet fuzzy person.

I love people who don't fit the stereotypes.

Bring on the anarchy I say........but wait 'til I've had my fun with capitalism please.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
As we haven't landed yet i cannot really say too much about the Canadian banking system but having read many many threads on here i am ready to be dissapointed.

That said we opened an account on a recent recce trip and found the branch very helpful and accomodating. They tried to give us an appointment later in the week and we said no can do we will be on our way home and hey presto they fitted us in that day. Had a long chat with our "personal banker" who was great and left an hour later holding our account details and swipe cards.

I will say that it was a refreshing change not to see glass screens up between the staff and customer which seems to be standard practice in all banks, building societies and post offices over here.
I'll just say "ditto" to the above. We opened our account with Scotiabank and are happy so far - but I guess I'm prepared to be disappointed in the future. Shame really. I guess a lot does depend on an individual member of staff who portrays their bank to you.

I may be in a minority - but I've never had cause to complain about my LloydsTSB account either. I've found virtually everyone to be helpful and 'human' when I've needed it. Maybe rare indeed.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Do most Canadian banks offer online banking as a normal part of the service?

I had assumed they would but the rest of this thread now has me wondering...
Yes, but mine is limited in that I can't do a freeform transfer to a random person with an account at another Canadian institution. You can only choose from a dropdown list. It's fine to pay Rogers, Enmax, TIPP etc - but don't try and transfer money to your OH who's with another bank, no go.

I was also happy with PC Financial until I tried to make my first deposit - they wouldn't accept my cheque because it didn't have my address pre-printed on it (!).
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

yodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
TD and PC Financial do.
RBC offers internet banking as well
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:40 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yodiyokun
RBC offers internet banking as well
And Scotia
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:24 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Yes, but mine is limited in that I can't do a freeform transfer to a random person with an account at another Canadian institution. You can only choose from a dropdown list. It's fine to pay Rogers, Enmax, TIPP etc - but don't try and transfer money to your OH who's with another bank, no go.
TD (easyweb) allows that.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:50 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Slight change of tack here, but probably not worthy of a new thread. I vaguely remember someone advising NOT to put your SIN on a credit card application if you're a temporary resident as that big fat 9 at the start of it marks you out as some kind of transient who's not to be trusted. Or will it just mean they won't be able to find any information on me at all? We arrived on Jan 4th, so I don't know if we'll have any kind of credit history yet.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Do most Canadian banks offer online banking as a normal part of the service?

I had assumed they would but the rest of this thread now has me wondering...
CIBC and Scotia do. I would assume the rest do as well.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Slight change of tack here, but probably not worthy of a new thread. I vaguely remember someone advising NOT to put your SIN on a credit card application if you're a temporary resident as that big fat 9 at the start of it marks you out as some kind of transient who's not to be trusted. Or will it just mean they won't be able to find any information on me at all? We arrived on Jan 4th, so I don't know if we'll have any kind of credit history yet.
The 9 is a big red flag, I'd leave it blank. My experience was that real bank credit is a toughy as a temporary resident what ever you do, although most stores were obliging.(back before sears and Canadian tire were mastercards anyway) The ones that werent, I dont do business with now..not that I hold a grudge or anything
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:14 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
The 9 is a big red flag, I'd leave it blank. My experience was that real bank credit is a toughy as a temporary resident what ever you do,
Sure, we've got no expectations of getting actual credit; we're more interested in being able to get something with a useful limit on it without having to put down 200% of the limit; hopefully 100-125%.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
TD (easyweb) allows that.
Don't believe you - let's do a test transfer to check it out, my account's 00111122233 at HSBC on 8th Ave
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Don't believe you - let's do a test transfer to check it out, my account's 00111122233 at HSBC on 8th Ave
I recall doing that a long time ago...but the fees were the problem, its not like paying a bill where the transfer is free? Maybe Im thinking of something else?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
I recall doing that a long time ago...but the fees were the problem, its not like paying a bill where the transfer is free? Maybe Im thinking of something else?
Dunno, do you want to send me some cash too and we can find out?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
That said we opened an account on a recent recce trip and found the branch very helpful and accomodating.
Course they were - you're fresh meat for them to get their hooks into and sell a plethora of financial products to! You think they weren't just the same to all of us who went before you?

It's once they've got you and you've opened up all sorts of money spinners (for them) that they start to screw you, because changing banks is such a huge hassle and most people won't bother or just don't get around to it. We've done it twice before already just for more of the same.

Very timely thread - literally just got off the phone from another barney with BLOODY "TD Canada Trust no-one". Bast**rds - they make it up as they go along!! GGGRRRRRRR!! They are really p*ssing me off lately. but are they bovvered? :curse: :curse:

(To be fair - they were absolutely GREAT to us when they were just "Canada Trust", before the "TD" got tacked on the front!! No problems at all back then; and nothing but aggro since. Sigh....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.