Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bahamas - Need Visa

Bahamas - Need Visa

Old Dec 30th 2015, 3:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahamas - Need Visa

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
I wouldn't do the USA for the reason of any capital cost outlay, safety, running costs, medical coverage etc, although, a 6 mth rental in the US may be the way to go

If its just you
Not just me. Although I could just bugger off for the winter and leave the others to it.

Seriously the site rents do put me off. I've had a look at a few more and I'm seeing rents of near $600 a month so $7000 a year.

There was one for $150 a month - the home was $30k - but that's still $1800 annually. You might be able to get a room in Orlando for that for a month.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 11:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Okay, it might not be the same as Permanent Residency with all those other conditions. What does PR get that home owners residency doesn't?
You don't need to own a house, also you can work, but it's not unconditional work, you have to tell them when you apply for PR if you want to be able to work. This has a bearing on whether they let you in but if they do I can't see why you can't work anyway.

You need to bring money with you to get PR, so logically it might make more sense to do that and then rent I suppose.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 11:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
I wouldn't do the USA for the reason of any capital cost outlay, safety, running costs, medical coverage etc, although, a 6 mth rental in the US may be the way to go
Which is the problem with The Bahamas, you have to pay for medical care. And unlike the US, they don't have much in the way of healthcare. They're talking about doing something like Hawaii but that wouldn't help people living there who don't work.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

update on the UHC universal healthcare coverage - National health Insurance in the Bahamas beginning in 2016

For Individuals and Families - National Health Insurance Bahamas

from that link

CAN I OPT OUT OF NHI?
Just as all legal residents are enrolled with NIB, National Health Insurance will require all legal residents to enrol. There will be no contributions initially, so it is an added benefit at no cost to you.