British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/back-uk-then-returned-canada-how-you-861981/)

Howefamily Aug 4th 2015 12:24 am

Re: Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11715936)
Most people in our area have an ensuite for every bedroom and a 4 bed is standard. It's ridiculous and a total waste of money + most of the time it's just basic. We only have one ensuite and it's more than enough, but at least it's a nice one.

Where are you?

dbd33 Aug 4th 2015 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11715936)
Most people in our area have an ensuite for every bedroom

How would you know this?

Moses2013 Aug 4th 2015 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 11715994)
Where are you?

Ireland and to answer dbd33, a lot of the newer houses in our village were built during the boom time and have the same kind of design. Of course there are also many older builds, but in general they would be similar to the below, however this is a bit pricey.
Brockagh, Corofin, Co. Galway - House For Sale

This house here is a bit older and I find it hard to believe that it would only cost 550K

Castle Hacket House, Belclare, Co. Galway - House For Sale

dbd33 Aug 4th 2015 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11716024)

This house here is a bit older and I find it hard to believe that it would only cost 550K

Castle Hacket House, Belclare, Co. Galway - House For Sale

I like the horse. I wonder if they'd throw it in.

Around here the houses are all different from one another, built at different times by different people. It's hard to guess what lurks behind the facade.

BristolUK Aug 4th 2015 1:43 am

Just looking on a house for sale site called Nestoria.

Search terms "House with 1 bathroom" then upped number.

Results
8,780 houses for sale in London with 1 bath
2,604 houses for sale in London with 2 baths
974 houses for sale in London with 3 baths
625 houses for sale in London with 4 or more baths

859 houses for sale in Bristol with 1 bath
105 houses for sale in Bristol with 2 baths
25 houses for sale in Bristol with 3 baths
9 houses for sale in Bristol with 4 or more baths

4,991 houses for sale in Birmingham with 1 bath
477 houses for sale in Birmingham with 2 baths
128 houses for sale in Birmingham with 3 baths
58 houses for sale in Birmingham with 4 or more baths

Make of that what you will. :unsure:

Moses2013 Aug 4th 2015 1:57 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11716045)
I like the horse. I wonder if they'd throw it in.

Around here the houses are all different from one another, built at different times by different people. It's hard to guess what lurks behind the facade.

Yeah the horse would be good:lol:. Of course in our area not everyone has the 4 en suites, but there just seems to be a lot of these houses around and in general it has to be 3-4 bedrooms. A lot of the time the people here just want a big house and aren't bothered about interior, or presentation. It is slowly changing, but still a long way to go. Even when it comes to the garden, many have half a acre as standard and hate gardening:sarcasm:.

MarylandNed Aug 4th 2015 2:13 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11716048)
Just looking on a house for sale site called Nestoria.

Search terms "House with 1 bathroom" then upped number.

Results
8,780 houses for sale in London with 1 bath
2,604 houses for sale in London with 2 baths
974 houses for sale in London with 3 baths
625 houses for sale in London with 4 or more baths

859 houses for sale in Bristol with 1 bath
105 houses for sale in Bristol with 2 baths
25 houses for sale in Bristol with 3 baths
9 houses for sale in Bristol with 4 or more baths

4,991 houses for sale in Birmingham with 1 bath
477 houses for sale in Birmingham with 2 baths
128 houses for sale in Birmingham with 3 baths
58 houses for sale in Birmingham with 4 or more baths

Make of that what you will. :unsure:

What I make of it is that houses with only 1 bathroom are still very common in the UK - not "very unusual".

Howefamily Aug 4th 2015 2:27 am

I got 190 properties for sale with 1 bathroom in Horley, Surrey where we used to live and 18 for sale with 2 bathrooms.

That's clearly an area still in the dark ages.

I like that Nestoria site, very useful. Rightmove doesn't give you number of bathroom options

Howefamily Aug 4th 2015 2:30 am

Oh and all those houses are jolly expensive. Only two are under £500k

BristolUK Aug 4th 2015 2:40 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11716070)
What I make of it is that houses with only 1 bathroom are still very common in the UK - not "very unusual".

Of course, it might turn out that there are more 1 bathroom places for sale because they're not selling while those with more have sold and the numbers have reduced. Who knows?

What it does indicate is that despite all the advice for sellers to add a spare or en-suite a lot of people, for whatever reason, are not doing so.

Moses2013 Aug 4th 2015 2:50 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11716097)
Of course, it might turn out that there are more 1 bathroom places for sale because they're not selling while those with more have sold and the numbers have reduced. Who knows?

What it does indicate is that despite all the advice for sellers to add a spare or en-suite a lot of people, for whatever reason, are not doing so.

Indeed there are many reasons and it is hard to compare. It's obvious that people living in city apartments with 1 bedroom won't have 3 en suites.

BristolUK Aug 4th 2015 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11716101)
It's obvious that people living in city apartments with 1 bedroom won't have 3 en suites.

Hence my search on houses exclusively. :)

I went back a little later and did the same thing for 3 bedroom houses. Similar results.

MarylandNed Aug 4th 2015 4:09 am

True but, regardless, your numbers indicate there are many thousands of 1 bathroom dwellings in the UK. Definitely not within the realm of "very unusual" - which I suspected anyway as most people I know in the UK still only have 1 bathroom. The study I found from 2009 indicated that 59% of dwellings in England only had 1 toilet. A higher percentage than that would have had 1 bathroom (e.g. some with 2 toilets would have consisted of 1 full bathroom and an additional WC). I can't believe that 59%+ has dwindled to the realms of "very unusual" within 6 years.

Also, London is different in that it's an economy of its own in terms of property. My brother has a 3 bed semi with 1 bathroom in NW London which he completely renovated but didn't add a bathroom. He was thinking of listing it for 450k (GBP) and someone he knows immediately offered him 450k cash. He has decided to wait as he thinks he'll get 500k or even 550k when he's ready to list later this year or early next year.

I suspect in many cases it's not practical as many older builds don't have the space or have plumbing issues that would make it too expensive. From what I've been reading, it certainly does seem like there's a trend for en suite and multiple bathrooms in new builds and also in renovations. But there's clearly still a huge amount of dwellings in the UK with 1 bathroom. And in a desirable area of London, it's a seller's market anyway and there is not as much incentive to add a bathroom. My brother ploughed his money into renovating the existing bathroom and kitchen. It would have been very difficult to add another bathroom anyway. He doesn't care - he knows it's going to sell fast. He's in construction and knows a bunch of people who want to buy it from him.

el_richo Aug 4th 2015 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 11715919)
Neither of those homes in any picture float my boat el Richo.

You ignore my point of generalizing. Touche :thumbup:

Steve_ Aug 10th 2015 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by orly (Post 11713476)
Guess you haven't been to Belfast recently lol.

Yes I have! Did you not read my post...