Back to Front

Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future
Default Back to Front

Hello all,

I know of at least one couple, but I would like to ask if anyone else has moved over to Canada prior to getting their Visas. It is a high risk strategy granted, but I am sure some folks must have made the move before knowing their visas were on their way. I would like to hear any success/failure stories, and any additional issues with medical assistance etc. Any information gratefully received.

LL x
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:56 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Front

Hi there, we did that very same thing. We moved over on a TWP and yes VERY risky, but hey it worked out (thank goodness)
We bought a house really quickly too which made the whole situation even more risky it could have easily back fired and I'm sure for some people it did. There will be tons of people that wouldn't risk it, but we just thought what the hell lets go for it and it paid off.
Makes life a bit more interesting Good Luck
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Hi there, we did that very same thing. We moved over on a TWP and yes VERY risky, but hey it worked out (thank goodness)
We bought a house really quickly too which made the whole situation even more risky it could have easily back fired and I'm sure for some people it did. There will be tons of people that wouldn't risk it, but we just thought what the hell lets go for it and it paid off.
Makes life a bit more interesting Good Luck
Did you have the TWP when you came over, or did you arrive as a visitor?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:01 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Did you have the TWP when you came over, or did you arrive as a visitor?
Yes we had our TWP
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we had our TWP
Thats not quite as risky as what Lady Locket is proposing, but its pretty brave to move a whole family over on.

I'm glad I was young free and single when my chance to come over on a temp permit came up, with a family to consider its all a bit more heart in mouth.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

DJNG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats not quite as risky as what Lady Locket is proposing, but its pretty brave to move a whole family over on.

I'm glad I was young free and single when my chance to come over on a temp permit came up, with a family to consider its all a bit more heart in mouth.
We relocated our family on a two year TWP, renewed it and have just got our passports with a nice shiny PR visa back and will take a quick trip south in a couple of weeks to land, we didn't think of the risk and just went for it
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJNG
We relocated our family on a two year TWP, renewed it and have just got our passports with a nice shiny PR visa back and will take a quick trip south in a couple of weeks to land, we didn't think of the risk and just went for it
Yes but would you have moved without the TWP? This is the question of the OP

It's a huge risk. For some it works, and others it doesn't. All depends on your aversion to risk and how desperate you are. If you do go, make sure you have health insurance and mitigate your risk.

I think RICH went down the route the OP is asking about, and by all accounts quite successfully.

Last edited by el_richo; Aug 19th 2010 at 4:41 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that a poster in one of the Atlantic Provinces also did this (the one that had the oil spill on her property, I can`t remember her name but it was Chumley or something).

I suggest you would need bigger balls than me to do this though
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by el_richo
I think RICH went down the route the OP is asking about, and by all accounts quite successfully.
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I believe that a poster in one of the Atlantic Provinces also did this (the one that had the oil spill on her property, I can`t remember her name but it was Chumley or something).
Those are the two I can think of...

I suggest you would need bigger balls than me to do this though
Likewise!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:31 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here as a tourist in Aug '05 (having submitted an application for a skilled worker PR visa a month or two prior to that).

I was issued a 3 year TWP in Dec '05 to run my own business (applied for while in Canada in Nov, then interviewed at immigration after flag-poling in Vancouver), which saw me through until PR was issued in June of '08.

Major risks:
1) Selling up in the UK (albeit at the height of housing prices, and favourable exchange rates) to buy property/business premises here before any guarantee of a visa.
2) Having 4 months of nail-biting unable to earn a living, and putting together an unusual application to gain a TWP.
3) Being tied to the business (under the terms of the TWP), with no other means of generating income if it failed.

My balls were bigger back then. Successive winters have had a withering effect.

Last edited by R I C H; Aug 19th 2010 at 5:46 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:54 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The only documents I had when I arrived in Canada were a plane ticket and a Post-It note with the address of where I was to start work the next day.

When the Immigration Officer asked me for my TWP I didn't have a clue what he was on about.

Still got in though.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:58 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

going over without a twp or any other visa is something we never even contemplated, oh will be going out on a twp with me, son and two hounds following a few months after, and that is risky enough i think, i know i certainly wont be able to relax properly until we get pnp at least but then i know i wont relax until we get pr,
oh is talkin buying property as soon as we get there an join him but i dont think i would be comfy doing that, id rather wait until i knew we were there permanently, maybe i should be riskier but thats me, if we didnt have our son then chances are we would think differently.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, even going over with a Work Permit is risky enough, since you can lose your job, it can run out before you get PR etc. I would never have come to Canada without some sort of visa that allowed me to actually live here.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 7:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we had our TWP
That's what I did too.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:53 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Damn ass risky venture.

I'm in my mid-20's with no kids, no house and no real ties and personally I wouldn't even consider it. Just going over with a temporary visa seems scary enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.