Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back to Canada

Back to Canada

Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Back to Canada

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
We’ve wanted to for a long time, we only really came over due to visa issues (Im British, wife is Canadian) its just never been the right time since with family, jobs, finances etc, then in 2016 we got to a point where things were falling into place, so set the wheels in motion (applying for my residency, getting British citizenship for my wife before we leave, etc) and now here we are... days away. And we cant wait! Having lived both UK and BC I prefer BC by a mile, but sure am going to miss my family and friends in the UK but theyre all eager to visit and we have facetime these days!
Interesting that the desire to return to BC never went away. We've only been back 6 months and I've been wondering if time will change things.

How did you decide upon the interior? If we come back I think it will be to Van Island, however I think so many places in BC are becoming unaffordable that finances are going to dictate location - we'll probably end up in Fort Nelson at this rate.

Family and friends is the tie for us, like most folks. Maybe it's age or perhaps just time away, but I fill oddly disconnected to British culture and life in general. Even things I used to really love - like football. Leave me a bit cold now.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 7:53 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
How did you decide upon the Interior?
Thats easy... the weather!! And the proximity to the interior mountains. And their weather. Vancouver always seems to be raining when I visit, I can get that in England

It helps that my wife is from Kelowna originally and family and friends are there but honestly that wasnt much a factor in the decision, more just the lifestyle and proximity to our favourite biking, hiking and skiing spots. Revelstoke was the ideal but Vernon is our middleground compromise between tiny mountain town and the convenience of a city and the opportunities it offers our pre-teen daughter to settle in.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
Maybe it's age or perhaps just time away, but I fill oddly disconnected to British culture and life in general. Even things I used to really love - like football. Leave me a bit cold now.

I think I would feel like that too, if I moved back to the UK.

For many of us, you make the decision to move to Canada and so treat it as a total life and culture change....and prepare your mind and attitude accordingly, and if you put enough effort into this, you become Canadianised....after which its not so easy to fit back into the UK way of life again, especially if you didnt want to move back there first place.

Although there will always be little things I miss about the UK, I think I would struggle to live there now....reverse culture shock and all that.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Feb 6th 2018 at 8:18 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
Thats easy... the weather!! And the proximity to the interior mountains. And their weather. Vancouver always seems to be raining when I visit, I can get that in England

It helps that my wife is from Kelowna originally and family and friends are there but honestly that wasnt much a factor in the decision, more just the lifestyle and proximity to our favourite biking, hiking and skiing spots. Revelstoke was the ideal but Vernon is our middleground compromise between tiny mountain town and the convenience of a city and the opportunities it offers our pre-teen daughter to settle in.
I definitely prefer the interior climate - cold (but not too cold) snowy winters and hot summers. The rain in Van can get a bit oppressive in autumn especially. I would miss the ocean though. I thought about Revelstoke funnily enough. Nelson seems like the best bet though if you can make it work. Vernon is a great location - handy for everything. What's the town like though?

Last edited by biggayowl; Feb 6th 2018 at 8:39 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think I would struggle to live there now....reverse culture shock and all that.
I was kind of prepared for it. The big thing was not being wholeheartedly behind the move. It has left me feeling somewhat detached from life here.