Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bachelors Degree

Bachelors Degree

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:52 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 7
themanwithnoname is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bachelors Degree

Hi all,

My Canadian wife and I are contemplating moving to Canada in the near future (Toronto area) from London, so I've tentatively started looking at what the work situation is like over there.

There seems to be lots of work but pretty much very job I see listed in my field (IT Networks & Security) states that a bachelor degree is required. Is this normal? I ask, as I don't have a degree but have over 15 years experience, and this has never held me back in the UK.

I'd rather know if this is a potential show-stopper before we get the ball rolling.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
themanwithnoname is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:56 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,434
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Yes, absolutely normal IMO, Canada loves it's bits of paper! Even admin roles I looked at all seemed to require a degree.

Hopefully those in your industry will be able to comment and let you know what your chances would be without a degree, but they do seem to be required for a lot more jobs than in the UK.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:54 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 190
hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by themanwithnoname View Post
Hi all,

My Canadian wife and I are contemplating moving to Canada in the near future (Toronto area) from London, so I've tentatively started looking at what the work situation is like over there.

There seems to be lots of work but pretty much very job I see listed in my field (IT Networks & Security) states that a bachelor degree is required. Is this normal? I ask, as I don't have a degree but have over 15 years experience, and this has never held me back in the UK.

I'd rather know if this is a potential show-stopper before we get the ball rolling.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Don't worry about it.. I work in IT and i've had no trouble whatsoever. If you are looking for a managerial role, then it may be required.

The job adverts all had Degree required or higher education + experience.

Good luck with your search.
hh619 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 12:05 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 7
themanwithnoname is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by Matt88 View Post
Don't worry about it.. I work in IT and i've had no trouble whatsoever. If you are looking for a managerial role, then it may be required.

The job adverts all had Degree required or higher education + experience.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks for that.

Out of curiosity, did you apply from the UK or are you in Canada? I normally use jobserve or cwjobs in the UK (I'm a contractor but would go permie in Canada initially as have no idea how he contract market works) - is there an equivalent in Canada? the only site I've found in indeed.ca.
themanwithnoname is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 12:16 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 190
hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by themanwithnoname View Post
Thanks for that.

Out of curiosity, did you apply from the UK or are you in Canada? I normally use jobserve or cwjobs in the UK (I'm a contractor but would go permie in Canada initially as have no idea how he contract market works) - is there an equivalent in Canada? the only site I've found in indeed.ca.
No probs.

I'm currently in the UK, and i've been applying from the UK.

Can't advise on contract positions, but indeed.ca, LinkedIn & Monster are the only places i look.

Put in bold letters, at the top of your resume, that you are legally able to work in Canada. Otherwise, they see your UK address and move onto the next candidate.

Last edited by hh619; Jan 23rd 2018 at 12:23 pm.
hh619 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 12:46 pm
  #6  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,214
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by Matt88 View Post
Don't worry about it.. I work in IT and i've had no trouble whatsoever. If you are looking for a managerial role, then it may be required.

The job adverts all had Degree required or higher education + experience.

Good luck with your search.
Not wishing to start a debate about your personal job search with or without a degree, but are you saying you've secured a job while still in the UK. I'm not so much curious about the with/without degree bit, it's just that it is notoriously difficult to secure something without feet on the ground as it were - also already having the right to work in Canada. If yes, how did you go about it? I'm sure there are lots on here who would value your experience.

There is a lovely/frustrating Canadian trait where the answer to almost every question/request is "yes", then the reality is that nothing happens. It's something you learn to live with and adapt to. It took me a few years to fully appreciate!
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:09 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 190
hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
Not wishing to start a debate about your personal job search with or without a degree, but are you saying you've secured a job while still in the UK. I'm not so much curious about the with/without degree bit, it's just that it is notoriously difficult to secure something without feet on the ground as it were - also already having the right to work in Canada. If yes, how did you go about it? I'm sure there are lots on here who would value your experience.

There is a lovely/frustrating Canadian trait where the answer to almost every question/request is "yes", then the reality is that nothing happens. It's something you learn to live with and adapt to. It took me a few years to fully appreciate!
Since getting my IEC in December, I’ve had 10 offers to interview. I've interviewed for 3 companies, 1 made an offer, the other 2 were going to but I said I was no longer interested. I've actually accepted the offer above, as it is 100% remote and I can initially do it from the UK.

I've also still got 2 interviews lined up for Friday. Might still go for it as it will be good experience.

I probably applied for 30 jobs before getting my IEC through, where I was trying my luck with the TWP LMIA route. I'd say about 3 actually emailed back, but once they asked the question “Are you legally entitled to work in Canada” and my answer was “No, not yet.” Needless to say, I didn’t hear from them again.

I work with Cloud technologies, which is massively in demand in Canada. I’m always seeing new jobs in my field added daily, and other that get re-advertised. They can’t seem to fill them fast enough!

From my personal experience, it isn’t that hard to get a job without “boots on the ground” none of the companies asked about face-to-face interviews either. They were all happy with Skype interviews.

HTH
hh619 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:16 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 190
hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Also, a good Cover letter explaining your immigration situation and timescales for moving out will definitely help.

I've also been known to find out whos advertising the job, get their direct email or message them on linkedIn and go from there.
hh619 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:49 pm
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by themanwithnoname View Post
Hi all,

My Canadian wife and I are contemplating moving to Canada in the near future (Toronto area) from London, so I've tentatively started looking at what the work situation is like over there.

There seems to be lots of work but pretty much very job I see listed in my field (IT Networks & Security) states that a bachelor degree is required. Is this normal? I ask, as I don't have a degree but have over 15 years experience, and this has never held me back in the UK.

I'd rather know if this is a potential show-stopper before we get the ball rolling.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
First step would be to obtain permanent residency status through your wife sponsoring you.. then you would have the legal right to work in Canada.

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:52 pm
  #10  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,214
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by Matt88 View Post
Since getting my IEC in December, I’ve had 10 offers to interview. I've interviewed for 3 companies, 1 made an offer, the other 2 were going to but I said I was no longer interested. I've actually accepted the offer above, as it is 100% remote and I can initially do it from the UK.

I've also still got 2 interviews lined up for Friday. Might still go for it as it will be good experience.

I probably applied for 30 jobs before getting my IEC through, where I was trying my luck with the TWP LMIA route. I'd say about 3 actually emailed back, but once they asked the question “Are you legally entitled to work in Canada” and my answer was “No, not yet.” Needless to say, I didn’t hear from them again.

I work with Cloud technologies, which is massively in demand in Canada. I’m always seeing new jobs in my field added daily, and other that get re-advertised. They can’t seem to fill them fast enough!

From my personal experience, it isn’t that hard to get a job without “boots on the ground” none of the companies asked about face-to-face interviews either. They were all happy with Skype interviews.

HTH
Hey good for you! It's the legal right to work that makes all the difference. Sounds like you're obviously doing and saying the right things!
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:40 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 190
hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
Hey good for you! It's the legal right to work that makes all the difference. Sounds like you're obviously doing and saying the right things!
Thanks! Yes it does
hh619 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:01 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 119
CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Just buy one online...that seems to do the trick / (And yes this is a joke but there was some market place documentary showing how a ton of 'professions' including a university professor had one)
CanadianSpruce is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 11:48 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 101
mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce View Post
Just buy one online...that seems to do the trick / (And yes this is a joke but there was some market place documentary showing how a ton of 'professions' including a university professor had one)
Smriti Irani: India education minister in fake degree row - BBC News You mean like these folks?
mahdawg is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:09 am
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,900
carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

I concur with Siouxie that the way to go about this is PR first, and then job search, and congratulations to Matt88 as it can be very difficult to secure a job before arrival.

View this from the employer's perspective:

1. You are not PR until you are actually PR. You aren't the first person to claim to employers that PR is in the bag. In your case it may well be! But there is a long line of others before you who have also had PR in the bag, including those with Canadian spouses, and the bag had a hole at the bottom.

2. You don't live in Toronto until you actually live in Toronto. People accept offers and then never leave the UK, get a better offer and renege, change plans and want to move to another city instead, etc. This happens a lot more than people realise. It's easy to flake and change plans before you leave the UK, and massively harder after when you're already on the ground, have a house and have moved everything over. Employers know that too.

So, until you are PR and living in Toronto - you have no right to work in Canada, and you aren't moving to Toronto. Do not assume anything until you have PR, at minimum - employers sure won't!

It is a lot easier to get work from overseas if you are in a highly specialist role that requires unique skills and is in shortage. But - a lot of people think that does in fact describe their role . . . and then it's confronting and offensive to learn that it's not, and they are just a pebble on the beach.

Good luck.
carcajou is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2018, 7:32 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 7
themanwithnoname is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bachelors Degree

Thanks for all your help. To clarify, I'm not going to be applying for any jobs until we decide 100% that we're going to move to Canada and have the necessary permits in place. I just wanted to make sure that once I got there, I would be able to get a job and not be held back due to not having a degree.
themanwithnoname is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.