Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

baby formula and airport security

baby formula and airport security

Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice
Default baby formula and airport security

i'll be flying home with a three month old baby at christmas time and I'm trying to find out information on airport security with regards to formula and the capacity of feeding bottles. Does the 100ml rule apply?

our journey will take around 16 hours so i will need a number of feeds. has anyone had experience of this? obviously breast feeding would be the easiest way, but this is not an option.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:32 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby formula and airport security

Baby formula is exempt from the 100ml regulation. Check out the FAQ on the CATSA website for more.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:36 am
Just Joined

lynsey3333 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've flown a few times with my little girl, always took a made up bottle of over 200 ml, they just may make you try it. I then measured out her milk powder in little bags and asked for water on the flight.

Lynsey
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

You can even take your own boiled, cooled water. Infant and toddler food is exempted. I usually have a backpack full of food, drinks, snacks and calpol for 3 kids (1,2,4) and never had any trouble. Some airports require see through containers but that's about it.
Do you have a basinet reserved for the baby on board? Best thing ever when flying with a baby
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

biddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud of

Yep no issue on the flying with formula they just might make you try it. We brought lots of ready made as we had a connection and I was scared of delays.

I second asking for the bassinet we flew with our daughter at 11weeks and it was a lifesaver( well more of an arm saver) or even better if you've bought her a seat and take the car seat on board.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie2
i'll be flying home with a three month old baby at christmas time and I'm trying to find out information on airport security with regards to formula and the capacity of feeding bottles. Does the 100ml rule apply?

our journey will take around 16 hours so i will need a number of feeds. has anyone had experience of this? obviously breast feeding would be the easiest way, but this is not an option.
Why not? Apologies if you can't manage it, but I don't think being on an aeroplane makes a difference.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 5:56 am
Just Joined

mkmicky1 is an unknown quantity at this point

when we flew they just made us try it, was the only thing my other half didnt have a problem with
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We took just powder, premeasured, then got hot water to mix it from various cafes/on the plane. Not good to keep it mixed for long periods unrefridgerated. We bought the ready mixed stuff from Boots for on the way back but lost the lot at Gatwick because it was unopened cartons and they wanted the whole lot opened for me to drink in front of them, and we weren't carrying enough bottles for that, plus still not good to have it out and not cooled for 12 hours. Luckily Boots after security had identical cartons...

Second baby is breastfed, so much easier except for the limited room on planes and wriggly legs
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice

Thanks. We will measure out powder and take sterilized water in separate bottles. I would be really upset if cans had to be open at security making them unfit for the journey. It would be much easier if I was breastfeeding! I've no qualms about Breastfeeding in public, it just didn't work out for me.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! I also found that wearing mine (travelled with them at 4/5 months, 18 months and 2) helped enormously too.

ETA - not all of those ages at the same time, obviously
Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

biddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dashie
Good luck! I also found that wearing mine (travelled with them at 4/5 months, 18 months and 2) helped enormously too.

ETA - not all of those ages at the same time, obviously
+1 My sling was a lifesaver, alot easier esp if you have to fly through Gatwick as you don`t get the buggy given back to you at the gate and its a long way to baggage collection.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the sling tip! We are flying to heathrow. Do we get the buggy back there or not? Any other handy hints or travel must haves would be welcome!
Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

No idea, we've always flown transat and they don't give it back until baggage claim other airlines in other places have always been random.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Ooh actually, we did fly AC into heathrow once and we did get it back at the gate I think.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Milk powder, water and fluids in see through bottles (some airports care some don't), sling, basinet on the plane(if you haven't reserved that already do it in advance), dummy, nappies, wipes, baby cream, spare clothes. Take plenty of water, mine always seemed to be extra thirsty, must be the AC on the plane.
Honestly it used to be so easy to fly before I had kids now it's like the exodus
Safe flight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.