Baby formula

Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

achak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby formula

Hi,

We have a 3 week old baby and hopefully will be moving to NS September/October. Does anyone know which kind of formula, available in Canada, is the closest to English Cow & Gate? I have heard all sorts of horror stories of how sick babies were when changed to a different milk.

Thanks

Angela
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:17 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby formula

Originally Posted by achak
Hi,

We have a 3 week old baby and hopefully will be moving to NS September/October. Does anyone know which kind of formula, available in Canada, is the closest to English Cow & Gate? I have heard all sorts of horror stories of how sick babies were when changed to a different milk.

Thanks

Angela

Your baby will not be as fragile at 4 months. We changed our baby's formula to whatever local brand we found that was suitable for his age...no problems in Cyprus, Singapore or Australia. Don't worry so much, not all babies are very sensitive to change!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

achak is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, I suppose I'm just being a panicky mum!!

Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:28 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by achak
Thanks for that, I suppose I'm just being a panicky mum!!

No problems...you start off with the fragile wee thing that you scared to bathe and by the time they are six months old, you are gaffer taping their gobs shut!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

When we were in Canada in May, We went into Wal-Mart and there was many brands to choose from. Don't worry too much, all my children had a change of milk at one time or another, this was due to holidays in Australia, Canada, Egypt etc etc and they were fine.

Just Chill.

Karla x x x
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

I'd agree with all the previous comments . Both my daughter and more recently our son (who is now 7months old) have used local baby formula's whilst abroad. You can normally tell what's a "cheaper" brand more than the "well known" brand so you'll probably find something very similar to what you already use. In actual fact our son seemed to prefer what we used recently to his usual SMA!
At least most countries use similar sterlisation/processing rules in their factories and have stricter laws regarding babies food so you should be fine! If in doubt use a formula that specifies it's more for newborns - then it'll be lighter on babies belly!

What makes me laugh is that on holiday recently - i was trying to buy some kind of porridge for my son's breakfast - and when i asked the lady in the chemist to explain the instructions on the back (they were in Spanish) - she asked me if i was feeding him it or adding it to his bottle
We're strongly advised in the UK to not add anything thickening to bottles - but oversea's it looks like people have different idea's!!! How they manage to suck it through the teats i have no idea!!!

I'm sure you and your little one will be fine.... Just remember - all the people in these countries have babies too and they get along fine
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

The forumla we used for Kai was President's Choice own brand one that came in a box of 12 tins and was around $20, we found out it was made by Similac and was around half the price. We found at around that age we were getting through 1 tin a day. You can also get powder but I found the liquid easier.

If you want to get a brand name instead get it from Walmart as difference in price is a bit. Somewhere like Shoppers Drug Mart is a joke price wise. For instance baby juice is $3 there, Walmart $1.80.

We went to the UK, Spain and the US last year and had no problems with switching.

The only problem I had was in the UK this year when I tried Kai on cow's milk, he had diarrhoea so I just put him back on SMA Progress and he was fine.

Even though Kai was older we went to Argentina and Chile in May and got some milk in both and had no problems, I even liked the milk in Argentina and I hate milk to drink. Although in Argentina they have no baby food anywhere at all, which I found weird