Reload this Page >

Baby born in Canada but only has British passport, border crossing

Wikiposts

Baby born in Canada but only has British passport, border crossing

Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Jc2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby born in Canada but only has British passport, border crossing

Late night panic.....our daughter was born in Canada (Ontario), and we only got a Uk passport for her (she's only 5 months and saw a uk passport as more of the priority as we all have UK). Now, we're here on my husbands work permit, and myself on a visit permit linked with the work permit. We've just realised, my daughters passport is in no way linked with our permits (and not to help she was born in London Ontario but her PP just says London) and were going to the US in the morning for the first time for a wedding. Are we going to have issues getting through the border?? Should we have linked her passport with our permits someway?? We're taking her ontario birth certificate to prove she is a Canadian citizen but not sure what else we can do?! Anyone with any help or been through similar? Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in Canada but only has British passport, border crossing

Originally Posted by Jc2010
Late night panic.....our daughter was born in Canada (Ontario), and we only got a Uk passport for her (she's only 5 months and saw a uk passport as more of the priority as we all have UK). Now, we're here on my husbands work permit, and myself on a visit permit linked with the work permit. We've just realised, my daughters passport is in no way linked with our permits (and not to help she was born in London Ontario but her PP just says London) and were going to the US in the morning for the first time for a wedding. Are we going to have issues getting through the border?? Should we have linked her passport with our permits someway?? We're taking her ontario birth certificate to prove she is a Canadian citizen but not sure what else we can do?! Anyone with any help or been through similar? Thanks
Take her birth certificate with you for sure - and perhaps her SI# and health card for back up. She can travel on her UK passport (she has dual nationality).

Other than that, hopefully Former Lancastrian will be around before you have to leave and can give you his point of view.

I just found this website: http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-...with-children/

Where it states: Children under age 16 may enter the U.S. or Canada using one of the following:

U.S. or Canadian Passport
Original or copy of Birth Certificate

So it looks like you should be fine!

Edit: This is confirmed here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html and http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/whti-ivho/child-enfant-eng.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 25th 2013 at 4:44 pm.