Average cost?

Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:07 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average cost?

Originally Posted by headingwest
Prop tax 200
Tatt 500/kids stuff
You have a budget for tattoos?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

I felt I had to give you reply from my part of Eastern Canada, Nova Scotia. At the moment, there are three of us. 3 double bedroomed house, no mortgage, local taxes $1,150 a year, electricity $120 every two months, no telephone or cable but internet is $35 per month including HST. groceries around $220 a month, no water charges as I have a well and also a septic system, car insurance, one car collision only $510 for the year, this is my first year here so I hope that might come down next year. Petrol, well I don't go out to work and now my son is getting the bus to school, I would estimate this at around $130 a month. I put a bit of oil in my tank for hot water, that was
$400 and I expect that to last until the summer and beyond. I bought wood 6 cords, which cost me $1100. I hope this might help.

Last edited by laser558; Dec 10th 2011 at 7:14 am.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We live in Oakville, just outside of Toronto so one of your identified locations. We are a family of 4, run 2 cars and live in a 3000 sq ft house. Grocery bills around $600pm, Hydro $120 pm, Gas probably about the same (can't find a bill at the moment), insurance (cars and home) $360 pm, and property tax $1000 pm. Additional costs are phone, internet and cable TV (if you get it), approximately $100-200 pm depending on the service you get.
Seriously, where do you shop to keep your monthly budget for a family of four to only $600.00?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Seriously, where do you shop to keep your monthly budget for a family of four to only $600.00?
Mostly Costco
Old Dec 11th 2011, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Aviator
You have a budget for tattoos?
Indeed. If you look at it as a cost per sq inch, its much cheaper to get the children covered head to toe now. Then we can let the images stretch with the skin as they age.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We live in Oakville, just outside of Toronto so one of your identified locations. We are a family of 4, run 2 cars and live in a 3000 sq ft house. Grocery bills around $600pm, Hydro $120 pm, Gas probably about the same (can't find a bill at the moment), insurance (cars and home) $360 pm, and property tax $1000 pm. Additional costs are phone, internet and cable TV (if you get it), approximately $100-200 pm depending on the service you get.
I'm sorry but $1000 property tax a month for10 months? I thought London in the UK was bad but this is a positive rip off. In fact, I'm trying to think if there is any place in the UK where the local/council tax would be so much. Let this be a lesson to anyone who might think that Canada is cheaper.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:48 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
I'm sorry but $1000 property tax a month for10 months? I thought London in the UK was bad but this is a positive rip off. In fact, I'm trying to think if there is any place in the UK where the local/council tax would be so much. Let this be a lesson to anyone who might think that Canada is cheaper.
Im sure that there are spots in Knightsbridge or the Bishops Avenue that are significantly more.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:34 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Im sure that there are spots in Knightsbridge or the Bishops Avenue that are significantly more.
I'm guessing but i would think nowhere in those area's come even close to that.

Edit: A quick look shows Kensington and Chelsea banding has a max of £2158 per year.

Looking at the banding, i would be surprised if anywhere in the entire UK came anywhere near that.

Last edited by el_richo; Dec 12th 2011 at 2:41 am.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm guessing but i would think nowhere in those area's come even close to that.
I don't know about Hampstead but there's a tax cap in central London. It means that the rich don't have to pay thousands of pounds a year to have their dustbins emptied which is, arguably, a poor show, but it also means that people aren't priced out of homes they inherited because the taxes are based on the property values and so beyond their means.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 12th 2011 at 3:09 am.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As a rule of thumb the property taxes in most provinces are 0.7-1.0% of the assessed value of the property per year.

A tax bill of $10,000 / year implies that the assessed value is just north of $1M, not at all uncommon in Oakville, or for that matter in Richmond Hill and many other parts of the GTA.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
As a rule of thumb the property taxes in most provinces are 0.7-1.0% of the assessed value of the property per year.

A tax bill of $10,000 / year implies that the assessed value is just north of $1M, not at all uncommon in Oakville, or for that matter in Richmond Hill and many other parts of the GTA.
Ah! I see, I didn't know that and also perhaps my brain is unable to deal with such large sums, my wallet certainly is! Thanks for the information.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:20 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! I see, I didn't know that and also perhaps my brain is unable to deal with such large sums, my wallet certainly is! Thanks for the information.
There are sometimes ways to reduce your property tax burden, and instances where those percentages aren't relevant. Live outside of city limits and taxes are far lower as many services aren't provided. In BC, if you are able to gain farm status then substantial savings can be made in addition. My property tax liability is nearer 0.25% of property value.