Reload this Page >

Auto tech flat rate pay system- my experience

Auto tech flat rate pay system- my experience

Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:27 am
Just Joined

brother is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auto tech flat rate pay system- my experience

Originally Posted by rufus2000
also the other problem with flat rate is the golden boys the brown noses of the workshop who may have been there years will get the cream jobs the good money earners jobs. and new boys get the crap which take longer time and makes your hours fall behind
Spot on with this too!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Ringing endorsements for the motor mechanic trade in Canada all round then!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:55 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

also the other problem with flat rate is the golden boys the brown noses of the workshop who may have been there years will get the cream jobs the good money earners jobs. and new boys get the crap which take longer time and makes your hours fall behind
That happens in the UK as well though - or it did in OH's old garage, where the chosen few were given the plum jobs, OH had worked there for 20+ years, he wasn't a chosen one, the foreman there had a chosen one for a couple of years and then changed, the former chosen one would throw his toys out the cot and leave, what annoys the OH here is that the techs refuse to do the crap jobs and wait for a plum job to come in (it might not happen) so OH will do the crap job - he's getting paid then right? Problem is if the same type of crap job comes in another day and gets saved for OH as he knows what he's doing - he does occasionally throw his toys out the cot, gets a pay rise and carries on...... stiff upper lip and all that.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

Yeah it does happen in the uk but the difference being that you are on a set wage and if you get your hours you get bonus to rely on just getting your hours like a bonus is mad if ya ask me I have worked in many uk garages from back street to main dealer Vauxhall and at Vauxhall there were people who got all the easy work and I ended up doing the hard stuff like your hubby as most there were probably only capable of servicing piff I think I have spoke to you b4 did ya hubby work in Biggleswade I live in Letchworth I don't mind doing the hard stuff but they need to reward you the same at the service boys
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:50 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it does happen in the uk but the difference being that you are on a set wage and if you get your hours you get bonus to rely on just getting your hours like a bonus is mad if ya ask me I have worked in many uk garages from back street to main dealer Vauxhall and at Vauxhall there were people who got all the easy work and I ended up doing the hard stuff like your hubby as most there were probably only capable of servicing piff I think I have spoke to you b4 did ya hubby work in Biggleswade I live in Letchworth I don't mind doing the hard stuff but they need to reward you the same at the service boys
Yeah you have spoken to us before. I know my OH's wages are much much higher here in Red Deer than they ever were in Biggleswade, put it this way he no longer has to take on work in his own time just to meet the bills. He was a MOT tester in UK and we used to drive all over picking up cars for him to take to work to test just so he could meet a fair wage. The wages that are being quoted on here have really surprised me.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:23 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother is a fully qualified mechanic in the UK, and hoping to move out here. Currently works for Land Rover, but has worked on HGV"s, Mercedes Benz, a GM dealership in Australia, Vauxhall, and a few independents.

Does anyone have any advice on how he should go about getting jobs? I've offered to help, but it's an industry I know absolutely nothing about.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:50 pm

When we came out on our recce, we just stopped at Ford dealerships we liked the look of and asked, most were not interested until we actually arrived as PR's but then through someone that knew someone - yeah that peachy networking system, hubby had what he has termed the easiest interview ever and landed a job with the promise of LMO's etc and here we are. We didn't try very hard to be honest and we were very lucky, we were on recce just as the boom was starting. Good luck to you brother, perserverence and getting your face out there I think is the key.