Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Old Jun 2nd 2012, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice
Default Re: Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Originally Posted by rebecca1986
Not sure about the move from Oz to Canada, but just thought I'd chip in my pennies worth about annual leave...

In the company I work for, you had to be working for ONE FULL YEAR FULL TIME before you're entitled to your 10 days annual leave. This was also the case in the last job I was in too. Once I've worked for the company for 5 years, they'll increase the annual leave to 15 days. Coming from having 7 weeks a year in the UK, it's definitely a shock to the system!
That is what the vast majority of posts I have read here say as well, plus friends in Canada. People going to Canada should know it's probably going to be 10 days unless they are very lucky or have some kind of leverage to demand 15.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Bexxid is an unknown quantity at this point

That's crazy having to work for a year before you can get annual leave! I thought Aus was bad enough having to accrue before you can take it. Maybe we have been spoilt in the UK.

10 days does seem very low though, is unpaid leave a popular option in Canada? Jeez how does anyone there ever go anywhere else!?!
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bexxid
That's crazy having to work for a year before you can get annual leave! I thought Aus was bad enough having to accrue before you can take it. Maybe we have been spoilt in the UK.

10 days does seem very low though, is unpaid leave a popular option in Canada? Jeez how does anyone there ever go anywhere else!?!
I've read a lot of people on here (US & Canada) say they saw more of these countries when they lived in the UK and visited on holiday than after they moved. Now you know why only 30% of Americans have passports - and it was only 15% in 2000.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

We were very spoilt in the UK without even knowing it!
I have taken unpaid leave this year to go back to the UK, but even getting that can sometimes be a struggle. I just think that expecting people to work full time for a year without any annual leave is asking for burn out!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point

The accruement issue has been the same in Britain - in the 4 different employers I've worked for (charities and govt). It's all very methodical and is listed every month on my pay stud. So when I worked 4 mths I have a certain number of days available etc. That first year in a new job in Canada can be a drag though for some people, if working in the private sector esp.

But beyond that, most Canadians it works that they take a couple weeks holiday in the summer - taken sometime between July 1st and end of Aug - so there's no one point when 'everyone is on holiday'. There's a couple of long weekend bank holidays that can stretch that a bit.

And then, if they or their partner fall into a category where that's it for them for AL, they may be able to accrue overtime or take a few days leave without pay and get themselves another week off at Xmas or Easter - where for the latter especially a lot of people head to southern climes.

In Britain with the kids on such a short summer break it's more common that parents take their holidays to be off with the kids (saving on child care etc) - thus the August shut down. I don't know of a lot of people though that then take big holidays abroad at that time, 2 weeks is pretty standard. So ends up being the same in a chunk as my experience in Canada.

Lots of people in Canada will have access to a country cabin or cottage near the sea or lakes - so once summer hits spend a lot of time at these places, including a few holiday days. In fact, spouses with enough leave (or not working) and kids may even move up there for extended periods. The tradition of summer camps for kids means a lot of children spend a lot of time involved with that sort of thing.

In my last job in Ca I worked there 3 years and had formally 3 weeks but I probably had at least another week owing every year (more) which, sometimes I took sometimes I didn't. Like in Britain, lots of people work more than the standard work week, sometimes it can be rolled to the next year sometimes not.

Lots of people don't travel abroad in the US (and to some extent in Canada) for many reasons, the annual leave issue is but one and probably a minor one for many. The cultural one is a big one. I have a sister - married, 4 kids all graduating now from uni, reasonably well off (husband self employed). My brother used to be an auto mechanic (now works for a council), his wife a school secretary, 2 kids similar ages. Different work situs, Both have places in Florida - they go there multiple times a year for 1 to 2 weeks. And meet up with friends and cousins and aunties from home and are the younger generation of snow birds. It's not my cup of tea but it is their's - they shop, they party, they sunbath, they love it.

Until relatively recently Cdns didn't even need a passport for that. Both countries are massive - so it's easy enough to take summer holidays without leaving the continent. Growing up, one of my best friends - her parents every year took her and her sister on a 6 wk camping driving holiday in the US/Ca - no passports required. Her parents: one was a church secretary and the other (eventually) management for the regional Red Cross.

The regulations and the routine in the US is different from Canada. One thing I found hard in Australia was having Xmas in the summer - which meant a huge stretch of time in 'winter' with no break, when where I was (Vic) it was wet and grey, pretty depressing. I had a Danish friend who'd settled in Oz over 30 yrs earlier and she still finds that hard.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:40 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

I get 5 weeks leave plus 11 stat holidays (goes to 12 next year). i can bank overtime as leave and can carry leave over from year to year.

I also find more condensed work weeks here...such as 4 10 hour days etc...there is also more give and take in the work place and a fair bit of flexibility.

The approach to leave here is seniority based. In bc after 5 years with an employer, the min is 3 weeks leave, 2 weeks to start.

I'd say that the average for 5 plus years here is around 4 weeks. But expect reduced leave for the first 5 years.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:44 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

my wife has been with her present employer for about 7 months...she is taking time off over the summer and was pro-rated on the time that she has been with her employer.

So no, she does not have to work an entire year to get time off.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canuckypom
I think there's significant variation in Canada in both these areas - annual leave and typical winter temps. It's relatively uncommon to only get 10 days annual leave a year, for example. I don't know a single person in that situ and I'm Canadian but it can happen.
My husband's holiday entitlement has just gone up from 2 weeks (10 days) I think he gets another week (5 days) now, he's been with the company 7 years. We do add on a few days unpaid leave for vacations. I get 6% of my pay. I only work part time so can usually figure out a few days off without using holiday pay, it's one of the BIG reasons I only work part time.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Jun 5th 2012 at 2:59 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

NOT TAKING LEAVE seems to be seen as a virtue in Canada! As for accrual of leave, that is the normfor new hires with my public sector employer. My first year, i got exactly 4 days, 3 hours for summer leave! My wife, on the other hand, has just changed employers and is getting 5 weeks straight off the bat, plus 1 day per month personal. Mind you, I now get 25 days annual leave, plus public holidays, and four-day weeks through July and August, so I am not doing too badly on the leave front!

Last edited by YoshiPal2010; Jun 5th 2012 at 7:29 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but to say thanks to Bex for this post. I have been in Oz for almost 7 years - 5 in Adelaide and almost 2 on Brissie. Adore Australia, but really struggling with having adult children and increasing numbers of grandchildren in the UK. Haven't been able to afford to get back for 4 years. Also a rapidly ageing father. Plenty of work in my field, which is assisted by heavier envrionmental regulation in Canada than in Australia.

Currently pondering a 4-year plan of getting youngest who is here with me through Uni and then heading over to be closer to the UK. She wants to work in the film industry, and Canada invests more substantially in that area than Australia. Also getting increasing number of films shot in Canada instead of the US from what I can tell.

Originally was moving to Canada to work for defence at Medicine Hat but job did not go through as I was not a citizen. Then offer came up in Oz, so came here. Other factors include partner with adult children who grew up here, but their own Mum has moved back to England and seems that a couple of his children may end up over there!

Lots of things change in 4 years, but this thread helped!

Cheers
Seabird.

Originally Posted by winky297
Hi Bex
We moved from Australia to Canada in Jan, really for the same reasons as you, being a little closer to family has made a massive difference, had 2 visits already and 6 more planned before Christmas instead of seeing them once a year.

We were in Oz for 5 years an applied as Australian Citizens in Nov 2010, we used an immigration agent in Montreal (they were fantastic) our application was processed in Sydney Australia and we got our PR in September 2011.

Can't really help with your mums visa, but it does seem to be much quicker applying as an Australian citizen than as british.

We miss the daily trips to the beach, but so far we are loving where we are, and the kids have adapted well...

Ailsa
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:58 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebecca1986
Not sure about the move from Oz to Canada, but just thought I'd chip in my pennies worth about annual leave...

In the company I work for, you had to be working for ONE FULL YEAR FULL TIME before you're entitled to your 10 days annual leave. This was also the case in the last job I was in too. Once I've worked for the company for 5 years, they'll increase the annual leave to 15 days. Coming from having 7 weeks a year in the UK, it's definitely a shock to the system!
It would make you cry wouldnt it!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

My Fiance only gets holiday (10 days) after he has worked 1 full year. We were a bit shocked by this but still went for the move. One thing which has helped is there has been a public holiday nearly every month apart from March and June this year.

But on his wage here we could easily take time off un paid so we're not fussed. We had four weeks a year in the U.K but no money to do anything!!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, it appears that the 31 days leave i get from my job is much more than the norm then!?

i can also bank overtime and carry days over!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

I just wanted to add my experience with the annual leave side of things. My first job in Canada was a gov job which started me off with 18 days plus all stat hols. My second job I am now in is a private sector job and it started me with 15 days which includes the whole Christmas period as paid leave too. So i dont think it is true that only gov jobs offer you the best. You can still get good annual leave with private sector companies.

Obviously does not compare to the UK but i dont think it is too bad. I found this link useful when helping me decide on certain companies. It tells you how much annual leave you get for the listed companies including a more detailed profile for each employer. It can also help you filter top companies based on personal preferences.

http://www.canadastop100.com/toronto/
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I just moved from Australia (Sydney) to Toronto (well close by - Caledon) in October.

We were in Aus for 4.5 years. We had a real struggle making the decision. We both had great jobs in Aus, enjoyed the lifestyle, had a nice home etc.

The bottom line for us is that we prefer our life in Canada. There are many reasons and I'm sure it has all been said before.

FYI - Visa took 10 months to process through Sydney.

I get 20 Days Holiday plus 11 public holidays a year. (As does everyone else in my company). I think the amount of holiday you get varies considerably and you should consider it in you remuneration negotiations, just as you would $$. I personally would never work for a company that only gave me 10 days leave - maybe this is ok for a recent graduate, but if you have experience this is totally unacceptable (tome anyway).

The one thing I enjoy most about making the move is that there are real seasons. (i have only seen one winter and I keep getting told that last winter doesn't really count , so this may change)

Good Luck - Go for it, whats the worst that can happen ? You end up with being able to choose to live in any of the three most desirable countries in the world.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.