Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Old May 28th 2012, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Bexxid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Hi all,

Just joined this site and wanted a bit of advice. We are originally from the UK but have been living in Australia for 5 years. We love the place, it has negative things like everywhere but on the whole we have loved our journey. We are now Australian citizens but are toying with the idea of moving to Canada.

Main reason that it is closer to the UK, with lts of new additions to our friends and families we would like to spend more time in Europe and also be closer for people to visit. Theres only one problem, my mum joined us in Australia 1 1/5 ago on a temporary parent visa, she needs to apply to make this permanent in November and it will cost roughly $30k. If we went to Canada she would want to join us, and definately doesn't want to go back to the UK. I have read about the Canadian parent super visa but that means she wouldn't be able to work, and I also understand the processing times are 7/8 years for a sponsored parent visa? Is there any other quicker option where you pay a lump sum like in Aus? She is only 54 and still works full time but after doing the points predictor she only comes up with 57 points. Is there any family visa where a parent can be included from the off set?

Any answers welcomed, I have been looking at the Canadian immigration website, but couldn't see any info on the above.
Unless we can get something sorted it looks like we'll be stuck here for the foreseeable future.

Thank youn advance for any help,

Bex
Old May 28th 2012, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Hi, and welcome to BE.

There are quite a lot of Brits who have moved to Oz and then on to Canada, or who are in the process of doing so, so hopefully you'll find their threads if you do a search.

Originally Posted by Bexxid View Post
I have read about the Canadian parent super visa but that means she wouldn't be able to work
And it's only a temporary 2 year visa as well, it's not permanent - it's meant for long holidays basically.

I also understand the processing times are 7/8 years for a sponsored parent visa?
Well, there was - but at the moment there's no way of doing parental sponsorship, as the program is on hold (because of the huge backlog).

Is there any other quicker option where you pay a lump sum like in Aus?
No, unless she qualifies for a money based visa, such as the investor visa ($1.6M net worth, $800k investment).

She is only 54 and still works full time but after doing the points predictor she only comes up with 57 points.
That's only relevant to Skilled Worker applications though, there are loads of other visa routes - and unless she works in one of the 29 eligible occupations for a Skilled Worker visa, her points are moot anyway.

From what you've said, you've got two choices if you want your mother to join you in Canada - either you move first and then sponsor her (hopefully by then the Federal program will have reopened, or you could move to a province where you can sponsor her under the PNP), or she has to qualify for a visa in her own right. Perhaps she could look at getting a job offer?

Good luck.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, can't offer any visa info. I'm Canadian, have lived in Britain 10 years, though spent last year in Australia and am now moving back to Canada (different part than where I'm from). I find there are many similarities between Oz and Canada - big countries - and that plays out in various ways. Good luck.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

No she def doesn't qualify for the investment visa! I think the only way is to see if she would qualify for the pr visa. When processing applications does anyone know if they take into account that your family are moving too? Myself and my husband get well over the points required but I think she would be under due to low education.

If anyone has done it before would we apply as Australian citizens or as UK citizens? Looks as though the apps through Sydney go faster.

Cheers,
Old May 29th 2012, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Hi all,

Just joined this site and wanted a bit of advice. We are originally from the UK but have been living in Australia for 5 years. We love the place, it has negative things like everywhere but on the whole we have loved our journey. We are now Australian citizens but are toying with the idea of moving to Canada.

Main reason that it is closer to the UK, with lts of new additions to our friends and families we would like to spend more time in Europe and also be closer for people to visit. Theres only one problem, my mum joined us in Australia 1 1/5 ago on a temporary parent visa, she needs to apply to make this permanent in November and it will cost roughly $30k. If we went to Canada she would want to join us, and definately doesn't want to go back to the UK. I have read about the Canadian parent super visa but that means she wouldn't be able to work, and I also understand the processing times are 7/8 years for a sponsored parent visa? Is there any other quicker option where you pay a lump sum like in Aus? She is only 54 and still works full time but after doing the points predictor she only comes up with 57 points. Is there any family visa where a parent can be included from the off set?

Any answers welcomed, I have been looking at the Canadian immigration website, but couldn't see any info on the above.
Unless we can get something sorted it looks like we'll be stuck here for the foreseeable future.

Thank youn advance for any help,

Bex
I know a few Canadians who moved to Australia, (in a sort of reverse of what you're planning) and one of them was parent-sponsor and it cost a bomb and took years, but they are glad they did it because they "don't miss -40" now they're older. They're lucky because under the new immigration system they wouldn't have been able come as PRs. Moving countries is too tumultuous for me I don't think I could go through it again - once is enough! But the moral here is if you have a chance grab it because immigration laws can change just like that.
Old May 29th 2012, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

winky297 is an unknown quantity at this point

If anyone has done it before would we apply as Australian citizens or as UK citizens? Looks as though the apps through Sydney go faster.

Cheers,
Hi Bex
We moved from Australia to Canada in Jan, really for the same reasons as you, being a little closer to family has made a massive difference, had 2 visits already and 6 more planned before Christmas instead of seeing them once a year.

We were in Oz for 5 years an applied as Australian Citizens in Nov 2010, we used an immigration agent in Montreal (they were fantastic) our application was processed in Sydney Australia and we got our PR in September 2011.

Can't really help with your mums visa, but it does seem to be much quicker applying as an Australian citizen than as british.

We miss the daily trips to the beach, but so far we are loving where we are, and the kids have adapted well...

Ailsa
Old May 29th 2012, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Alisa,

Wow that was fast for your pr visa for Canada, and great that you get so many trips in. We have a one year old and only now am I wishing we were closer as he's missing out on his cousins, aunties and uncles and his nana.

Where have you moved to and what's the weather been like? We live in Brissy so are a little spoilt by the sun! I don't mind cold just hate the grey sky drissle I remember from the uk.

We are not massive beach fans, but a lake would be good!

I'm going to contact an immigration company this weekend, as it stands my mum would only get in with a job offer and not sure how willing Canadian employers are to give jobs to 50+ from overseas!!

Cheers
Bex
Old May 29th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

winky297 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Yes was very quick, we applied as FSW for heavy duty mechanic. Was definately worth using the agent as they prepared everything for us we just had to sign the blanks and hubby had to do the IELTS..

We were not far from you we lived in Noosa, and we have settled in Oakville just outside Toronto, can just about see the Lake from where we live although it is no where near comparible to Noosa main beach, what is nice is that people dont go to bed here at 8.30 as Noosa was often too sleepy for us. Winter was cold havin left 30+ degrees behind in Oz, but this past week has made me feel at home being high 20's and humid too.

Is there no way your mum could come for lots of extended visits and keep nipping out of the country to the UK for time away, instead of applying for PR??

My kids are a little older than yours, my eldest is 14 then I have 13 then 11 so they keep me running round like a taxi cab most of the time..
Nice holiday planned for August in Arizona and California and we did March break in Florida for my nephews wedding. He lives there so the family are out to see him often and tag visits on to each other so they get to see us both while on this side of the pond. I do love the knowing that I can whip across for a few days instead of cramming everything into 4 week visits once a year.

Let me know how you get on..
Enjoy the lovely winter months in Brissie...

Ailsa
Old May 29th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Thanks Alisa,

Wow that was fast for your pr visa for Canada, and great that you get so many trips in. We have a one year old and only now am I wishing we were closer as he's missing out on his cousins, aunties and uncles and his nana.

Where have you moved to and what's the weather been like? We live in Brissy so are a little spoilt by the sun! I don't mind cold just hate the grey sky drissle I remember from the uk.

We are not massive beach fans, but a lake would be good!

I'm going to contact an immigration company this weekend, as it stands my mum would only get in with a job offer and not sure how willing Canadian employers are to give jobs to 50+ from overseas!!

Cheers
Bex
But Canada cold is not like anything you will have experienced in UK or Aus, and don't forget it's not just a difference in weather. Most people in Canada only get 10 days leave per year, at least when they start work in a new company, and that restricts visits back to UK even more than the distance from Aus. That's my reading of posts on here anyway.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by calliope View Post
But Canada cold is not like anything you will have experienced in UK or Aus, and don't forget it's not just a difference in weather. Most people in Canada only get 10 days leave per year, at least when they start work in a new company, and that restricts visits back to UK even more than the distance from Aus. That's my reading of posts on here anyway.
I think there's significant variation in Canada in both these areas - annual leave and typical winter temps. It's relatively uncommon to only get 10 days annual leave a year, for example. I don't know a single person in that situ and I'm Canadian but it can happen.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canuckypom View Post
I think there's significant variation in Canada in both these areas - annual leave and typical winter temps. It's relatively uncommon to only get 10 days annual leave a year, for example. I don't know a single person in that situ and I'm Canadian but it can happen.
I've never worked in Canada but just going from what I read on this forum, most of whom say they go up to 15 days after a certain amount of service. I believe 10 days is the statutory minimum in Canada, but differs from province to province. My guess is that a new immigrant with everything to prove is going to get 10 days unless they work in education or something. I agree about weather - Vancouver isn't much different to UK, but other parts have much longer and colder winters than UK, so it depends where they go I guess.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ailsa,

Yes Noosa is quite sleepy hey! I'll let you know how we go. Maybe we could apply for jobs and go that route first for a year, see if we like it.

My mum has to work so wouldn't be able to visit for long periods, she also doesn't want to go back to the uk which makes it hard!!

Hope everything goes ok for you guys too, it's such a plus being close to the States, a life time of cool holidays and it doesn't take too long to get anywhere! One of the major draw backs of Aus!

Cheers,
Bex
Old May 30th 2012, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by calliope View Post
I've never worked in Canada but just going from what I read on this forum, most of whom say they go up to 15 days after a certain amount of service. I believe 10 days is the statutory minimum in Canada, but differs from province to province. My guess is that a new immigrant with everything to prove is going to get 10 days unless they work in education or something. I agree about weather - Vancouver isn't much different to UK, but other parts have much longer and colder winters than UK, so it depends where they go I guess.
I've spent my adult life, except for the last 9 years, working in Canada and in the private sector, public sector (including for the federal govt dept of employment and labour) and charitable sectors - while statutory is 10 days it is much more common to start with 15 days. The exception is if you're doing manual skills for a private company, then typically 10 days to start but most employers increase this every year after starting.

As for weather, and much else, it's a huge country - something that can be difficult to grasp and with this are variations in climate and routine weather. I've spent 9 years living in the SW of England (currently in the Cotswolds) and the climate is gentle with little precipitation (then again we are in a formal drought). My partner works in Glasgow - and this is a far cry indeed. Yes there is a definite winter in Canada but the coasts will be hugely different than the extreme prairies and even central Canada. I have a home on the southern part of NS and was there for much of the autumn and winter. It was an unusual winter (as it was in Britain). There was no snow until late Jan (but this is relatively common). But then there's a 3 mth block of winter you can count on. It's not as cold as continental winters (central Canada and central Europe) but it is damper, which some people dislike. I've also lived in Toronto (stunningly cold winter temps and hot summers) and Vancouver (a lot of grey skies and precipitation in winter). But then again, there's not the floods, spiders and snakes that some would worry about in parts of Queensland. Anyway, my point is there is indeed significant variation and anyone contemplating moving to Canada should look closely at the specifics of where they're considering - horses for courses.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canuckypom View Post
I've spent my adult life, except for the last 9 years, working in Canada and in the private sector, public sector (including for the federal govt dept of employment and labour) and charitable sectors - while statutory is 10 days it is much more common to start with 15 days. The exception is if you're doing manual skills for a private company, then typically 10 days to start but most employers increase this every year after starting.

As for weather, and much else, it's a huge country - something that can be difficult to grasp and with this are variations in climate and routine weather. I've spent 9 years living in the SW of England (currently in the Cotswolds) and the climate is gentle with little precipitation (then again we are in a formal drought). My partner works in Glasgow - and this is a far cry indeed. Yes there is a definite winter in Canada but the coasts will be hugely different than the extreme prairies and even central Canada. I have a home on the southern part of NS and was there for much of the autumn and winter. It was an unusual winter (as it was in Britain). There was no snow until late Jan (but this is relatively common). But then there's a 3 mth block of winter you can count on. It's not as cold as continental winters (central Canada and central Europe) but it is damper, which some people dislike. I've also lived in Toronto (stunningly cold winter temps and hot summers) and Vancouver (a lot of grey skies and precipitation in winter). But then again, there's not the floods, spiders and snakes that some would worry about in parts of Queensland. Anyway, my point is there is indeed significant variation and anyone contemplating moving to Canada should look closely at the specifics of where they're considering - horses for courses.
You're right to highlight the size. I have friends in the Maritimes and family in BC and have spent time in both and experienced summer and winter in both, so am well acquainted with the variety. It is the same in Australia which ranges from equatorial and tropical through arid desert and scrub to Mediterranean and temperate. And the people worrying about snakes cracks me up - I have seen one in years, and that was in the wild.

On the leave thing, I'm not surprised public sector offers 5 more than the statutory, as similar concessions are given in public sector elsewhere, but it seems to me your personal experience is different to the general consensus:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=annual+leave

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=annual+leave

A few people say they started with 15 days though, so it's not as rare as I thought, but it seems to be something that has to be negotiated a lot of the time.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the move from Oz to Canada, but just thought I'd chip in my pennies worth about annual leave...

In the company I work for, you had to be working for ONE FULL YEAR FULL TIME before you're entitled to your 10 days annual leave. This was also the case in the last job I was in too. Once I've worked for the company for 5 years, they'll increase the annual leave to 15 days. Coming from having 7 weeks a year in the UK, it's definitely a shock to the system!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.