Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Originally Posted by Howefamily
we heat our 2500sq foot home almost solely on wood and manage to do so on 4 cords, even last winter which was really cold and for a long time. There is no way you will need 10-15 cords per winter.
My house is a similar size but I heat with oil, it's costs around $3500 a year to heat & that's with the heat on low because no-one is living in it. I would like to change to wood but I don't think I have the space to store it but just out of interest how much is a cord?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
how much is a cord?
In volume? 4'x4'x8' In cost, all over map, we had three cords, cut to 12" delivered, for around $800 last Autumn.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In volume? 4'x4'x8' In cost, all over map, we had three cords, cut to 12" delivered, for around $800 last Autumn.
So quite a bit cheaper than oil then. Does that last you all winter? I was thinking about adding a wood pellet heater as I don't think it requires as much space for storing, not sure if they are quite as efficient though
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CFAmovingsoon
Thanks for starting this thread, it's something we would like to achieve too. And I'm really baffled as to why you shouldn't try this with kids, kids love getting back to basics, they learn a lot of useful skills and they could still go to school if you plan well.
I don't say that people shouldn't but I wouldn't because the need for cheap land drives one far from the city which is problematic for children because:

- the good schools are in the city.
- their peers are in the city, in the country the next kid is five miles away and the wrong age
- the city is a better educational environment, children learn from people to whom they're exposed; if they're exposed to two languages they learn two languages, if they're exposed to ten cultures they gain an appreciation for diversity.
- the entertainment is in the city, in rural locations children amuse themselves by killing things, boozing, doing drugs and driving things dangerously.
- living minimally deprives children of everyday necessities such as ipads.
- children in the country are dependent on their parents to a degree that seems unhealthy to me, they can't bicycle or take the bus to the pool or cinema, they have to be driven everywhere (or the parents turn a blind eye while they drive themselves).
- if the children graduate from high school they'll move to the city, they'd be better prepared if that's where they grew up.

Do you really want your children to grow up able to play a mean fiddle and take a shotgun to a fisher but not knowing what a durain or a banana or a turban is or how to work an Oyster card?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So quite a bit cheaper than oil then. Does that last you all winter? I was thinking about adding a wood pellet heater as I don't think it requires as much space for storing, not sure if they are quite as efficient though
We'll get two winters from those three cords. I used to burn that much in one winter at another house so, when we moved here, that's what we ordered. We used about half last winter (a harsh one). We have another source of heat though, a propane furnace. Propane powers the furnace, cooking stove and clothes dryer and costs, iirc, about $900/year (3 fills @ $300).

My brother has a pellet stove, he says it works well but you're beholden to the pellet industry. A simple wood stove can burn purchased or found logs and, in dire straits, the furniture and/or wall studs.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
We'll get two winters from those three cords. I used to burn that much in one winter at another house so, when we moved here, that's what we ordered. We used about half last winter (a harsh one). We have another source of heat though, a propane furnace. Propane powers the furnace, cooking stove and clothes dryer and costs, iirc, about $900/year (3 fills @ $300).

My brother has a pellet stove, he says it works well but you're beholden to the pellet industry. A simple wood stove can burn purchased or found logs and, in dire straits, the furniture and/or wall studs.
That's a very good point though I'm if you smash things up small enough you'll get it in
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:53 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very good point though I'm if you smash things up small enough you'll get it in
Not really that small. Most logs are cut to 18" lengths. I have a very efficient Opal sealed fireplace in the basement and it has no problem with that size. It will keep the whole place at 24C. My house sitter likes it that way. She uses about two cords from November to April. It's mainly maple with some yellow birch. I paid $185 a cord last spring, which is when you should buy your wood, so that it can "season" through the summer.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Not really that small. Most logs are cut to 18" lengths. I have a very efficient Opal sealed fireplace in the basement and it has no problem with that size. It will keep the whole place at 24C. My house sitter likes it that way. She uses about two cords from November to April. It's mainly maple with some yellow birch. I paid $185 a cord last spring, which is when you should buy your wood, so that it can "season" through the summer.
I meant smash things up small to get them into a pellet stove.

I would love a wood burner I just don't have the room
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the kids thing. As an example, we live in a village of about 1000 people. A friend has two kids and until recently when they reached driving age she was out every evening after work ferrying them to sports events. Saturdays too and sometimes whole weekends away. She had no life of her own outside work, housework, and taxiing kids. When we talked about it she said that this way she knew where they were, what they were doing most of the time. They weren't out at bush parties smoking and drinking.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I agree with the kids thing. As an example, we live in a village of about 1000 people. A friend has two kids and until recently when they reached driving age she was out every evening after work ferrying them to sports events. Saturdays too and sometimes whole weekends away. She had no life of her own outside work, housework, and taxiing kids. When we talked about it she said that this way she knew where they were, what they were doing most of the time. They weren't out at bush parties smoking and drinking.
I suspect you will find that, in most cities and towns in Canada, parents spend a large amount of time ferrying their kids to and from activities as most locations for activities are not situated close to routes for public transport. It's one of those things parents have to accept.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I suspect you will find that, in most cities and towns in Canada, parents spend a large amount of time ferrying their kids to and from activities as most locations for activities are not situated close to routes for public transport. It's one of those things parents have to accept.
I agree, I grew up in an area with excellent public transport & my mum still ferried me everywhere, I think it's just part of being a parent
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:59 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Er yes, but it is possible to get transit in cities. The OP is talking about rural life so it's highly unlikely so unless they want to keep their kids at home they need car(s), time, and money for gas. That was my point which I thought was obvious after dbd's earlier post.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 3:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I know a woman like that

Probably costs us 8-10k a year to run the two cars, and neither is a guzzler. Ironic as my better half now drives for the local "transit", toting old folks and druggies around to go shopping or to medical appointments.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 9th 2014 at 3:09 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Er yes, but it is possible to get transit in cities. The OP is talking about rural life so it's highly unlikely so unless they want to keep their kids at home they need car(s), time, and money for gas. That was my point which I thought was obvious after dbd's earlier post.
The OP has considered cars & gas already & probably already know what a hassle kids & their activities can be. I think AC's point was that most parents end up doing these things anyway no matter where they live.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 3:31 pm
limey party pooper

The OP has considered cars & gas already & probably already know what a hassle kids & their activities can be. I think AC's point was that most parents end up doing these things anyway no matter where they live.
Sighs

In the city there are things called buses, trams, subways. Kids can use these things to get to the mall, the library, the swimming pool, to visit friends, go to the cinema. In the countryside there is no choice so parents have to spend more time and money driving the kids around. If city folk don't want their children to use public transit that's their choice.

The OP wants to know if $20k is enough so they need to factor in these expenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.