Astma

Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Astma

My OH and daughter are both astmatic we are moving to BC, does anyone know if you can buy inhalers (subutomol) over the counter or does it need to be through the doctor?

I have spoke to my GP who wants to charge £50 for medical records should I do this or just register with a doctor when we get out there. and yes I know there is a shortage of doctors in Canada so useful coments please people.

Thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Astma

Dunno about BC but they're OTC in the US. Perhaps bring a load back while over the border for some other reason.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oscardon
My OH and daughter are both astmatic we are moving to BC, does anyone know if you can buy inhalers (subutomol) over the counter or does it need to be through the doctor?

I have spoke to my GP who wants to charge £50 for medical records should I do this or just register with a doctor when we get out there. and yes I know there is a shortage of doctors in Canada so useful coments please people.

Thanks.
You cannot buy asthma meds without a prescription.
Ventolin/Salbutamol isnt particularly expensive- with my health insurance, i only pay 15% of the cost which works out to about $11 from memory.
I also have seretide, which is quite is expensive though. Even with insurance, it costs me around $30 per inhaler.

My advice is to ask your GP in the UK to provide you say 6 months of inhalers before you come over. That way, it gives you time to find a doctor, work out what insurance coverage you have etc.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

can you access your records using the freedom of information act? (£10 maximum charge). £50 is ridiculous.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The good news is that many people report that their asthma gets a lot better once in Canada.

The bad news is without insurance the costs add up, and as a pre existing condition some insurers may baulk at coverage for them. And of course many people dont have insurance to cover meds in the first place.

The doctor shortage in no way applies to all of Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:41 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
We got two set of records (mine and OH) for free so they are taking the ****.

Yes there is a sortage of doctors (to register with) but they do have walk-in centres, which might take a few hours to be seen, but you will be seen. We used one the other day and we could check the wait time on a website. We waited 1.5 hours from walking in.

JB
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys

We thought about stocking up but due to government cut backs they are only perscribing one inhaler at at time! Just makes us realise why were are leaving blighty.

The freedome of infomation act is a good thought though, might try that.

Casey
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chanceUK
can you access your records using the freedom of information act? (£10 maximum charge). £50 is ridiculous.
Medical records are different from standard data held, and under the Act, they can charge up to £50.00 per person. It is recommended that you take your medical records with you in any case.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys

We thought about stocking up but due to government cut backs they are only perscribing one inhaler at at time! Just makes us realise why were are leaving blighty.
You are leaving because you get heavily state subsidised prescription medication? That makes no sense! We should be so lucky here

They probably stopped giving out more than one at a time because of all the people stocking up before they leave the country

Last edited by iaink; Mar 24th 2011 at 1:08 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:13 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Tell the doc a little bit of a white lie - say you are off "travelling" abroad for three months and will therefore need a three month supply of inhalers - worked for me and tided me over until I could find a doc over here.

I have the purple inhaler (can't remember its UK name) but its called Advair over here and is about $120 bucks per inhaler, although my OH and I have work benefits that mean we now get them for free.

None of the doctors I have seen were remotely interested in seeing my UK medical records at all. I just told them a brief history and took samples of the inhalers I was taking and they fitted me up with the Canadian equivalent. Although if you have a complicated medical history with operations, etc, a copy of the records might be useful. I think as a compromise you can request just the computerised records for a tenner.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:16 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

FYI - the maximum charge for records held on computer is 10ukp , 50ukp for records held on paper. The surgery is not " being ridiculous". they are entitled to charge that amount
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Before we left we were able to stock up on the drugs we needed (My wife for her blood pressure, me for asthma) by renewing more frequently (one ast a time).

You only needed enough to cover you until the Provincial Health Care kicks.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by britsnake
Before we left we were able to stock up on the drugs we needed (My wife for her blood pressure, me for asthma) by renewing more frequently (one ast a time).

You only needed enough to cover you until the Provincial Health Care kicks.
Does provincial health care cover you for drugs like inhalers? Didnt think it did (not in Ontario anyway)
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was the same, my old doctor wrote me up a 3 month supply which in actual fact lasted me a lot longer. I said I was going abroad for work and there were no further questions. I just took my inhalers into the doctors and she found the equivalents here, you might find that they type of inhaler you have in the UK is not available here. I haven't had my prescription filled yet but I get 90% covered by my work insurance so I guess it won't be too bad. Re the previous post on asthma improving here, I totally agree! Cold weather used to make mine flare up but this winter I have had no problems, must be the clean, dry air!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Does provincial health care cover you for drugs like inhalers? Didnt think it did (not in Ontario anyway)
Nor in Saskatchewan.

One thing to consider with asthma is that the houses here, at least the newer ones, are extremely well sealed so any crap that accumulates in the air needs to be vented. We keep our ventilator on 24/7 because of my girlfriend's asthma.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.