Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Asthma in Calgary

Asthma in Calgary

Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future
Default Asthma in Calgary

I don't know if anyone can help, but is there a high rate of childhood asthma in Calgary? My youngest son has mild asthma but it is getting worse at the moment. We live in Wales, and the cold, damp weather seems to set him off. I read that Calgary, although cold, is usually dry. Has anyone found it to be better or worse for respiratory diseases over there?

Thanks.

Rachel
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asthma in Calgary

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
I don't know if anyone can help, but is there a high rate of childhood asthma in Calgary? My youngest son has mild asthma but it is getting worse at the moment. We live in Wales, and the cold, damp weather seems to set him off. I read that Calgary, although cold, is usually dry. Has anyone found it to be better or worse for respiratory diseases over there?

Thanks.

Rachel
From what I've read on the threads since joining - it seems most people experience a vast improvement here!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Rachel
I developed asthma during my 30s in the UK and it had got to the stage where I was on 3 different inhalers and Singulair tablets. Since I have been in Calgary (almost 8 months) I've not used any of them apart from the ventolin on a couple of occasions which were probably not really asthma related (wheezing due to a really nast cold).
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:14 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read it does seem that most people's asthma is improved by the dry atmosphere. My OH has chronic rhinitis and has had several polyp surgeries to his nose, but his breathing is MUCH better here (and he hardly snores at all!! HOORAY!!!!!!)

I have seen people complain that the pollen season is worse here though, due to the proximity to the prairies I guess....... if grass pollen is your antigen?
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

Rachel
I had moderate asthma back in the UK; I remember the day before emigrating having some difficulty with my breathing and was worried about flying. Within a couple of days of landing it had cleared up, I’ve never had a problem with my chest since. (touch wood)
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

My instinctive guess would have been that the incidence of asthma in Alberta is relatively low because of the rather dry climate and the fairly clean air. However, I did a quick Google search and found statistics published by the British Columbia Lung Association. According to them, here are asthma rates across Canada (expressed as % of population):
Newfoundland : 6.0

P.E.I. : 7.5

Nova Scotia : 8.8

New Brunswick : 6.6

Quebec : 7.9

Ontario : 8.1

Manitoba : 7.5

Saskatchewan : 7.1

Alberta : 7.5

British Columbia : 7.7

Canada : 7.8
I imagine percentages vary within a province. For example, the Greater Toronto Area has bad air pollution, so I would guess its asthma rates are higher than those in the rest of Ontario.

It appears that, in 2001, the UK had a national asthma rate of 8.8%. I have not found an exact statistic. I've based my estimate on the fact that the 2001 census showed there were 58.8 million people living in the UK (58,789,194 to be exact), and Asthma UK stated that 5.2 million Britons suffered from asthma in 2001.

But then I don't know how the two countries arrive at their figures, i.e., how do they define asthma, how bad does it have to be before it shows up on the statistics, etc.? Do the above statistics about Canada and the UK represent apples and oranges? I don't know the answer to that.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Rachel
I am in Ontario which perhaps does not wholly answer your question however, my own moderate condition has improved since moving over here a little over a year ago. Only exception was the first 5 months or so when I resided in Toronto. Air quality there is crap. Only 'SAW' how bad it really was one afternoon last summer driving West on the 401 towards the GTA. A few miles east of Oshawa I could see what I can only describe a a yellow cloud hovering over the city! YUK! Saw immediately why my condidtion had improved so much since moving east.

Seems that staying away from big cities is the secret! Been travelling quite a lot in Ontario and other than the GTA, have found by Asthma much better on balance. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:02 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Rachel
My dad has asthma and COPD (very badly) and can't even visit Calgary because of the altitude; he has to stay at sea level. I suspect that has more to to with the COPD than the asthma.

I myself have noticed that when I get colds (like right now grrrr) they tend to settle more in my chest since I've lived here in England then I've ever experienced living anywhere in Canada. I hate it (though this cold is evaporating nicely, knock wood). My Canadian friend who also lives in England has also noticed this difference.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:35 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
My dad has asthma and COPD (very badly) and can't even visit Calgary because of the altitude; he has to stay at sea level. I suspect that has more to to with the COPD than the asthma.
I can't see that altitude would have a direct effect on lung function per se, but it does tend to cause breathlessness on exertion because of less O2 circulating until you acclimatise, so if one was prone to be short of breath to start with, that probably makes it seem worse.