Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving in Vancouver without jobs

Wikiposts

Arriving in Vancouver without jobs

Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:21 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving in Vancouver without jobs

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Have you considered renting for the first year? If you don't know where your OH will end up working buying might turn out to be an expensive mistake - buying and selling real estate costs. Also, the year gives you time to look at many neighborhoods and styles of housing so you end up choosing one that really suits you. Very often these are not ones that you thought would suit you.

I have some friends that live in a subdivision called Clover Valley Station in the east of Surrey. This was one of the first subdivisions in the development of this area so is now 15 years old. It has a mature and settled feel. The houses are all single family homes (detached) but built on small lots. As the realtors say, ideal for busy people who do not have time to maintain a yard.

Anyway, they have recently remodeled their house. They finished the basement (now has 2,700 sf of living space), hardwood floors throughout, stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops in the kitchen , the whole nine yards. They have just had it appraised at $435,000.

So don't despair over you budget. And, as kiwilass says, if you will consider town homes (attached, often terraced homes) then there are very few areas of Metro Vancouver that are out of your price range. It comes down to where your OH gets a job and how far he is prepared to commute.

Schools reflect the area they serve. If you find a community where you feel comfortable living the chances are that the local schools will be just fine.

And yes, it is very difficult getting a job from overseas. Your OH has much more opportunity when he can get out and meet people. Even having a local address and telephone number on his resume will make a big difference.

edit: crossed with lots of other posts.
Yeah, i have a coworker looking around Clayton village I think? They just put in offer in on a 15 year old house, a 'fixer', for under $400. Don't know if they'll get it but that is significantly cheaper than houses here so there is hope.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:22 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Me neither. I mean, it's fine, it's not horrible, but it's not a place I'd choose to live.
It's so hard to work out what to do from this side of the Atlantic. Google maps are great but only being there gives a true reflection of what it's really like. We think that renting is the only option when we first arrive....it may be money in the landlord's pocket but it's worth paying out rental. Holidays do not reflect what an area is REALLY like, only living there for a time does.

Ooooo....it's snarf hard.....
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:28 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
It's so hard to work out what to do from this side of the Atlantic. Google maps are great but only being there gives a true reflection of what it's really like. We think that renting is the only option when we first arrive....it may be money in the landlord's pocket but it's worth paying out rental. Holidays do not reflect what an area is REALLY like, only living there for a time does.

Ooooo....it's snarf hard.....
No, the internet really only goes so far, so I agree with Jonboy's advice about renting for a while. The other factor that people don't always talk so much about on here is finding a neighbourhood of people that you fit in with. Intangible factors like that are hard to figure out from the net. We really like where we live now but a large part of it is because of the people in our neighbourhood. We kissed a LOT of frogs before we found it

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 27th 2011 at 6:33 am.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:35 am

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

No, the internet really only goes so far, so I agree with Jonboy's advice about renting for a while. The other factor that people don't always talk so much about on here is finding a neighbourhood of people that you fit in with. Intangible factors like that are hard to figure out from the net. We really like where we live now but a large part of it is because of the people in our neighbourhood.
When we first started this process, the exchange rate was FAB (2.20)....we used to look at acreage in the middle of nowhere (because we were useless dreamers) but I remember thinking that I would end up hanging from a pine tree if I didn't have people (nice people) around me. My son was then 8 or so and liked the idea of climbing trees on acreage and helping my husband to do boy type outdoorsy things....now he's 16 and just wants to be with his mates (as any teenager would do). So, things change....I would rather stick rusty nails in my eyes than live in the middle of nowhere but I like the thought of a bit of peace and quiet with some nice, leafy areas around us.....and dotted in those leafy areas are nice, friendly neighbours with whom we can share a poker evening or two and chink our glasses to happiness .....
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:37 am

When we first started this process, the exchange rate was FAB (2.20)....we used to look at acreage in the middle of nowhere (because we were useless dreamers) but I remember thinking that I would end up hanging from a pine tree if I didn't have people (nice people) around me. My son was then 8 or so and liked the idea of climbing trees on acreage and helping my husband to do boy type outdoorsy things....now he's 16 and just wants to be with his mates (as any teenager would do). So, things change....I would rather stick rusty nails in my eyes than live in the middle of nowhere but I like the thought of a bit of peace and quiet with some nice, leafy areas around us.....and dotted in those leafy areas are nice, friendly neighbours with whom we can share a poker evening or two and chink our glasses to happiness .....
I hear ya.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:40 am

I hear ya.
you are cordially invited to our first poker evening (when we get there!)....
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:55 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You have probably already been to these sites, but just in case ...

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cbc-gcc...g/bq00019.html

http://www.biotechcareercenter.com/NorthAmerica.html
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:02 am

thanks for those links, not sure if my husband's seen them but I will certainly show him.

Did you find it hard to make the move and find a job?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:03 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We think that renting is the only option when we first arrive....it may be money in the landlord's pocket but it's worth paying out rental.
If you find somewhere nice to rent at $2,500 a month (and you should be able to find somewhere very nice for that) then you will spend $30,000 in a year.

If you buy a house for $500,000 that you don't like you will pay $8,000 in property purchase tax to buy it and $20,000 in relator's and lawyers fees to sell it. Six and two threes really.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:07 am

If you find somewhere nice to rent at $2,500 a month (and you should be able to find somewhere very nice for that) then you will spend $30,000 in a year.

If you buy a house for $500,000 that you don't like you will pay $8,000 in property purchase tax to buy it and $20,000 in relator's and lawyers fees to sell it. Six and two threes really.
putting it like that, you make utter sense.....
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:19 am

you are cordially invited to our first poker evening (when we get there!)....
thanks...but gotta confess I have never played poker!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:21 am
Binned by Muderators

thanks for those links, not sure if my husband's seen them but I will certainly show him.

Did you find it hard to make the move and find a job?
We moved in 1999 and it certainly seemed like the last century. None of this landing and going back to the UK, non of this "give it 3 months/two years" to see if it works. We had made the decision, sold up everything in the UK, and arrived in Canada to start a new life. Going back was never a thought or an option. We had two choices: sink or swim.

That said, I had laid some groundwork. I made sure that I understood the differences between the UK and Canadian work environments and had a few recruiters to meet. The recruiters turned out to be useless in finding a job, but they did give me a very good idea of the market for people like me.

So, I don't know whether it was luck, down to the preparation, or whether it was my determination to make a go of it come what may but I found a job within a week of searching and have not looked back since. In the end it turned out to be an easy move - as though it were meant to be.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:29 am

thanks...but gotta confess I have never played poker!
i gotta confess that neither have I but my hubby likes a bit of online poker for fake stakes. I suggested that maybe he should suggest a poker evening with the boys once we've been there for a while to help with getting to know them......
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:35 am

We moved in 1999 and it certainly seemed like the last century. None of this landing and going back to the UK, non of this "give it 3 months/two years" to see if it works. We had made the decision, sold up everything in the UK, and arrived in Canada to start a new life. Going back was never a thought or an option. We had two choices: sink or swim.

That said, I had laid some groundwork. I made sure that I understood the differences between the UK and Canadian work environments and had a few recruiters to meet. The recruiters turned out to be useless in finding a job, but they did give me a very good idea of the market for people like me.

So, I don't know whether it was luck, down to the preparation, or whether it was my determination to make a go of it come what may but I found a job within a week of searching and have not looked back since. In the end it turned out to be an easy move - as though it were meant to be.
Glad it's worked out well for you! It's good to see a success story...so many posts on here say how it hasn't worked out and that gives us the eebee geebees. We've been told so many times that we're mad to have sold our house and all our belongings because we could have rented it out in readiness for our return [I]when[I] it fails.....but we like to think it won't fail and will try to stick at it no matter how hard it becomes. We feel we don't want an easy bolthole as, for us anyway, we'd probably not work as hard at making it work. I hope that made sense.....
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here on my own without a job and with bare minimum funds in January 2009 - I'm still here and making a good life for myself! I stayed in a hotel the first 2 weeks until I found a place to live and got settled. I don't earn mega money or have a lavish lifestyle but I rent a nice apartment in a good area and enjoy my life here very much. I think a lot of it depends on how flexible you are willing to be - you probably won't walk straight into your dream job at the level you're used to, but if you have a broad range of skills to draw on and are open to a variety of roles then there is work out there.

I've got a lot of admin experience and have temped extensively in the UK. When I arrived I went to a large number of temp agencies over the first few days and registered with them. I started work 2 weeks after arriving and although the role was initially temp for 3 months I was offered a permanent contract after a couple of months and am still with the organisation now. I work in Yaletown and live in South Granville so my commute is a joy compared to what I used to have in the UK.

EDIT: It's important to note the differences between job hunting here and in the UK (see Wiki) - I already knew how tough it could be from my time here on a working holiday in 2004 so arrived here determined and ready to hit the ground running. Sitting back waiting for the phone to ring once you've emailed off an application does not tend to work here!

In terms of looking for affordable houses/townhouses take a look at Port Moody - 25 mins on the West Coast Express from downtown and the setting is beautiful. The trains only run a very limited schedule at certain times of day though so that would only be feasible if you work regular office hours downtown or near another station. I believe the drive from PM to downtown is approx 45 mins (maybe a bit more?) assuming no bad weather or accidents. I would agree that renting to start with until you see where you end up working is definitely the best idea.

Good luck - go for it!

Last edited by adele; Feb 27th 2011 at 8:24 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.