Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving in Vancouver without jobs

Wikiposts

Arriving in Vancouver without jobs

Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:25 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light
Default Arriving in Vancouver without jobs

It looks like we will need to take the plunge and move to Canada without a job Can anyone recommend locations in or around Vancouver which have good travel connections to the places where my OH is likely to find a job and at the same time have good high schools and nice communities? We have PR, everything (and I mean everything) is sold in the UK and we're just waiting for our 16 year old to complete his GCSE's. Getting no joy from this side of the water with jobs and from looking at this forum, it seems you have to be in Canada to have a chance of getting interviews. Thanks!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving in Vancouver without jobs

The wiki has a good section of Vancouver communities.

What does Mr Dotty P do?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:51 am

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Hello all,

My husband actually wrote the above and I think it may be a bit 'vague'?

Just to fill you in, we applied to emigrate to Canada in 2007 and finally got our visas in 2010, landing them last August. Our dream has always been to move to BC but hubby's profession is making it difficult to realise this dream. He's a chemist who has previously worked in the medical device field but has since moved to QA in food ingredients. We have posted on here before and some very helpful replies came back which gave us some useful leads. However, we're fast approaching March (we planned to move out end June this year once our son has completed his GCSE's) and although some recruiters have been really helpful, it seems my hubby will have to actually be in Canada to make any progress. We ended up having a heart to heart this morning and he says we'll just have to bite the bullet and go. He's since booked a flight to go over by himself to hit Vancouver in person in May. I think that's a good idea as I have to admit to being worried about giving up his job in the UK and heading out to Canada with no job go to. Maybe fortune favours the brave but having read this forum, I see time after time that this may not be the case.

I guess all we wanted to know was whether anyone else with children of the same age can recommend a neighbourhood that would be within easy commute to Vancouver whilst being family friendly, with good high schools and nice surroundings. Our budget isn't massive, the exchange rate's seen to that, so a house in the region of CAD500,000 give or take would probably be about right. Is that doable?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The wiki has a good section of Vancouver communities.

What does Mr Dotty P do?
Thanks Alan2005, it seems I reposted after your reply! I'll also look at the wiki....
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:06 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Hello all,

I guess all we wanted to know was whether anyone else with children of the same age can recommend a neighbourhood that would be within easy commute to Vancouver whilst being family friendly, with good high schools and nice surroundings. Our budget isn't massive, the exchange rate's seen to that, so a house in the region of CAD500,000 give or take would probably be about right. Is that doable?
What is an easy commute to Vancouver to you? It'll be easier to answer that question once we know how long you are willing to commute. For example, we didn't want to be much further than 15 mins by car so we made decisions around that (smaller property etc).

Honesty I think anywhere in the Lower Mainland, bar, say, the downtown eastside but you're not moving there, is fine. You won't get much at all for $500,00 outside of the Fraser Valley/Delta - maybe try Langley/Cloverdale/Clayton Village/Surrey area. Be open to townhouses too because they are cheaper and will give you more options about where to live. The wiki goes into much more detail, but overall, the Fraser Valley (Surrey, etc) is cheaper than suburbs south of the river.

Also Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge (Alan lives there) are cheaper but the commute is much worse. There was a thread about this recently.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 27th 2011 at 5:08 am.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
What is an easy commute to Vancouver to you? It'll be easier to answer that question once we know how long you are willing to commute. For example, we didn't want to be much further than 15 mins by car so we made decisions around that (smaller property etc).

Honesty I think anywhere in the Lower Mainland, bar, say, the downtown eastside but you're not moving there, is fine. You won't get much at all for $500,00 outside of the Fraser Valley/Delta - maybe try Langley/Cloverdale/Clayton Village/Surrey area. Be open to townhouses too because they are cheaper and will give you more options about where to live. The wiki goes into much more detail, but overall, the Fraser Valley (Surrey, etc) is cheaper than suburbs south of the river.
I know we can't afford to be too picky with the budget we have available but is the Fraser Valley cheaper for a reason?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:31 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I know we can't afford to be too picky with the budget we have available but is the Fraser Valley cheaper for a reason?

It's cheaper because it's further away from Vancouver. As far as I know that's the only real reason. Parts of Surrey are $$$ though - South Surrey for example. You are not going to get a cheap house there either. Check out the Wiki or PM JonboyE - he lives around there and can probably give you better advice than I can, I don't live there.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:39 am

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Vancouver
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The commute.

Edit: by which I mean, there a jobs in Maple Ridge; Chilliwack etc, but they are generally lower paying that nearer downtown.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 27th 2011 at 5:56 am.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It's cheaper because it's further away from Vancouver. As far as I know that's the only real reason. Parts of Surrey are $$$ though - South Surrey for example. You are not going to get a cheap house there either. Check out the Wiki or PM JonboyE - he lives around there and can probably give you better advice than I can, I don't live there.
Thanks for that Kiwilass....I appreciate you taking the time to reply....

I've just spoken to my husband and he says he doesn't mind a commute as long as it's not too much (say, 45 mins the absolute maximum). I realise BC is the most expensive province to look at, with Vancouver being ever so ever so expensive. I guess him getting a job will determine where we eventually end up because we'll definitely rent for six months minimum anyway. I had a customer in my work the other day from Canada....she said Coquitlam is lovely?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:54 am

....she said Coquitlam is lovely?
Some people like it. I don't though.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:56 am

Yikes....I almost don't like to ask....why?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:02 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered renting for the first year? If you don't know where your OH will end up working buying might turn out to be an expensive mistake - buying and selling real estate costs. Also, the year gives you time to look at many neighborhoods and styles of housing so you end up choosing one that really suits you. Very often these are not ones that you thought would suit you.

I have some friends that live in a subdivision called Clover Valley Station in the east of Surrey. This was one of the first subdivisions in the development of this area so is now 15 years old. It has a mature and settled feel. The houses are all single family homes (detached) but built on small lots. As the realtors say, ideal for busy people who do not have time to maintain a yard.

Anyway, they have recently remodeled their house. They finished the basement (now has 2,700 sf of living space), hardwood floors throughout, stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops in the kitchen , the whole nine yards. They have just had it appraised at $435,000.

So don't despair over you budget. And, as kiwilass says, if you will consider town homes (attached, often terraced homes) then there are very few areas of Metro Vancouver that are out of your price range. It comes down to where your OH gets a job and how far he is prepared to commute.

Schools reflect the area they serve. If you find a community where you feel comfortable living the chances are that the local schools will be just fine.

And yes, it is very difficult getting a job from overseas. Your OH has much more opportunity when he can get out and meet people. Even having a local address and telephone number on his resume will make a big difference.

edit: crossed with lots of other posts.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:16 am

Me neither. I mean, it's fine, it's not horrible, but it's not a place I'd choose to live.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Have you considered renting for the first year? If you don't know where your OH will end up working buying might turn out to be an expensive mistake - buying and selling real estate costs. Also, the year gives you time to look at many neighborhoods and styles of housing so you end up choosing one that really suits you. Very often these are not ones that you thought would suit you.

I have some friends that live in a subdivision called Clover Valley Station in the east of Surrey. This was one of the first subdivisions in the development of this area so is now 15 years old. It has a mature and settled feel. The houses are all single family homes (detached) but built on small lots. As the realtors say, ideal for busy people who do not have time to maintain a yard.

Anyway, they have recently remodeled their house. They finished the basement (now has 2,700 sf of living space), hardwood floors throughout, stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops in the kitchen , the whole nine yards. They have just had it appraised at $435,000.

So don't despair over you budget. And, as kiwilass says, if you will consider town homes (attached, often terraced homes) then there are very few areas of Metro Vancouver that are out of your price range. It comes down to where your OH gets a job and how far he is prepared to commute.

Schools reflect the area they serve. If you find a community where you feel comfortable living the chances are that the local schools will be just fine.

And yes, it is very difficult getting a job from overseas. Your OH has much more opportunity when he can get out and meet people. Even having a local address and telephone number on his resume will make a big difference.

edit: crossed with lots of other posts.
Yes, we'll definitely rent......we agreed perhaps six months but you make sense by saying 1 year....at least that way you get a real feel for an area and can take your time to look around without rushing into a decision. I was just looking at Heritage Woods, look nice enough....and Heritage Woods Secondary School website is quite useful. With a teen in tow it makes ALL the difference IMHO. If they're happy, it helps. My husband has been really stressed of late, knowing that our son and I really love Vancouver. It seems the biotech jobs are better served on the other side of the country (Toronto) but (and please don't take offence anyone who comes from there) we were drawn by the mountains in BC for skiing coupled with the milder climate.

Me thinks that his trip over in May could be useful to look at areas to live but only a job will be the final decision maker as to where we'll actually settle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.