Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arrived at Ottawa at last.

Arrived at Ottawa at last.

Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arrived at Ottawa at last.

So we landed last night after 7hr 45 mins of pure torture but the cat made it so i'm happy .. Immigration was a piece of cake and customs didn't want to search my bags .. thank god as i had 6 huge suitcases ..

The temp was -14 but it wasn't that bad, granted you felt it in your throat at first and coughed a little but i was happy that i embraced it ..

The jet lag is awful, i was up at 3am this morning (yes Canadian time) talking to my mum as I'm still on UK time but i'll just grab a few winks later ..

Been to the shopping mall and its ok .. i think i need to be on my own to truly appriciate the sales ..

So we are in the process of buying things but the buses are hindering our efforts somewhat due to the fact it wont stop snowing ..

Going to the children's school on Thursday to register them and they will start next monday ..

So that's really it .. just plodding along .. i thought i would be more excited but I'm not .. oh well ..

Sorry this isn't some long winded story .. I'm knackered.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice
Default Re: Arrived at Ottawa at last.

Originally Posted by sas-lou
So we are in the process of buying things but the buses are hindering our efforts somewhat due to the fact it wont stop snowing ..

Just wait till the buggers at OC transport strike tommorrow, that and the snow will result in mayhem!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

So we landed last night after 7hr 45 mins of pure torture but the cat made it so i'm happy ..

Going to the children's school on Thursday to register them and they will start next monday ..
Whereabouts in ottawa are you....good luck with the kids getting settled in at school. And good luck with the driving (bus or your own car)
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada sas-lou

Yoong
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

sheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant future

sas-lou that sounds ok, id be interested how you get on over the next few weeks as myself and my family are moving to ottawa in the next couple of months, things like renting a house and getting a car, how did you get on with these, and is it ok to pm you for further info please

thanks
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy Ottawa, we love it here!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Rosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada.

Good luck for the future.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

thefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to all

Hi

congratulations!

our flights for Ottawa are booked 17 February and I am starting to get really scared now. The thought of driving terrifies me too! What schools are you looking at for your children? Where will you be living?

Melanie
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:58 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Welcome to Ottawa!
Hope the bus strike and the snow won't stop you from getting out and having fun!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on landing. Hope things go smoothly for you, best of luck.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

So we landed last night after 7hr 45 mins of pure torture but the cat made it so i'm happy .. Immigration was a piece of cake and customs didn't want to search my bags .. thank god as i had 6 huge suitcases ..

The temp was -14 but it wasn't that bad, granted you felt it in your throat at first and coughed a little but i was happy that i embraced it ..

The jet lag is awful, i was up at 3am this morning (yes Canadian time) talking to my mum as I'm still on UK time but i'll just grab a few winks later ..

Been to the shopping mall and its ok .. i think i need to be on my own to truly appriciate the sales ..

So that's really it .. just plodding along .. i thought i would be more excited but I'm not .. oh well ..

Sorry this isn't some long winded story .. I'm knackered.
Welcome to Ottawa. You picked a lousy time to arrive. Talk about a baptism of fire.

I don't know which mall you went to but the St Laurent is way better than the Rideau Centre.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Welcome to Ottawa. You picked a lousy time to arrive. Talk about a baptism of fire.

I don't know which mall you went to but the St Laurent is way better than the Rideau Centre.
If she went to Billings Bridge or the Herongate Mall she may be on the next flight back to the UK.

The Rideau Centre is fine for high end fashion etc, but not the kind of place you would do daily shopping.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog
If she went to Billings Bridge or the Herongate Mall she may be on the next flight back to the UK.

The Rideau Centre is fine for high end fashion etc, but not the kind of place you would do daily shopping.
I've never been to the first two. We went to St Laurent for the first time a week ago. I thought it was pretty good.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thefinneys
Hi

congratulations!

our flights for Ottawa are booked 17 February and I am starting to get really scared now. The thought of driving terrifies me too! What schools are you looking at for your children? Where will you be living?

Melanie
Here is a great photo collection of pictures taken in Ottawa throughout 2008 (with the exception of some in August in Boston). The poster of the photos lives in Aylmer, QC (hence quite a few photos taken on the dark side). The 'British' Hotel is in Aylmer (great dive for cheap draught swill).

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=162121

Hope this provides inspiration.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

Originally Posted by clynnog
Here is a great photo collection of pictures taken in Ottawa throughout 2008 (with the exception of some in August in Boston). The poster of the photos lives in Aylmer, QC (hence quite a few photos taken on the dark side). The 'British' Hotel is in Aylmer (great dive for cheap draught swill).

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=162121

Hope this provides inspiration.
These are brilliant! Thanks for the link.

And sas-lou, glad to hear you made it safely (including the cat)! I think after the highs and lows of your moving process, the first few days of a grim Ottawa winter are likely to be slightly anti-climatic. It'll get better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.