Arrived

Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice
Default Arrived

So I arrived here late Sunday, long queues at immigration so it took over 2 hours to get out of the airport. Spent yesterday trying to stay awake and today I plan on looking at an apartment and going to the bank. Not sure if RBC is the best, I had a job finding a branch yesterday. Been feeling a little homesick already, which is not like me, so it proves that this is probably going to be the hardest thing I have ever done and if I make it, who knows.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived

Welcome - and good luck with everything. Feeling a bit tired, jet-lagged and lost is a common starting point. Things will improve over the next few days
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Thank you, trying to stay as positive as possible. Not sure if a call home will make things worse or better but going to do it any way.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Vancouver.

There is nothing wrong with RBC as a bank - probably as many branches as any other. Where are you looking for an apartment?
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Good luck and welcome to Canada!

Shock and the feelings of isolation, confusion and loneliness seem to be quite common emotions among expats, so be reassured that you're not alone.

We found that once we arrived there was so much to do - health cards, SIN numbers, finding a place to live, jobs, etc - that we didn't really have time to be homesick. Now that we've settled down a bit, we're busy trying to make friends, join things and do all the activities we used to do back in the UK - anything to make us feel less alone in such an enormous country.

It's important to remember that you have completely changed your whole lifestyle, so it's perfectly normal to feel a little out of place. Also remember that you, like everybody else, used to have bad days in the UK, and just because you're in Canada it won't all be fabulous all the time. Such is life, and it's nothing to worry about.

Still, at least here you can go to Tim Hortons...
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grendel

Still, at least here you can go to Tim Hortons...
nooooo desist immediately, you will be assimilated
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:12 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ga1lf
So I arrived here late Sunday, long queues at immigration so it took over 2 hours to get out of the airport. Spent yesterday trying to stay awake and today I plan on looking at an apartment and going to the bank. Not sure if RBC is the best, I had a job finding a branch yesterday. Been feeling a little homesick already, which is not like me, so it proves that this is probably going to be the hardest thing I have ever done and if I make it, who knows.
....homesickness is like herpes - it can flare up even when you least expect it!

You sound like you're doing fine. I was like an hysterical 8 year old my first day here and that's not like me either - honest!
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ga1lf
The best of Good Luck wishes to you...

Stay positive and enjoy the start of your new life..

Top Cat
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:16 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Best of luck in your new adventure ga1lf!
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:56 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

let's see, you jumped on a plane, flew to the other side of beyond, no apartment, no friends, don't know your way around..... what you are feeling is normal, it's call apprehension. Feel free to pm if you need any help settling.

welcome to Canada

Last edited by dboy; Dec 31st 2009 at 11:59 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough

Hope you get settled soon we will be arriving in Vancouver in July. Please keep us posted.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Hi Ga1lf. Good to see you have made it. I'm sure you will soon start to find your feet. Hope 2010 will be a great year.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:24 pm

LorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of light

Oh gosh I remember last year when we were waiting for our meds (!!) where did the months go?
Glad to see you have arrived at last - as for us - we have now been in Canada for almost 6 months. We have had a variety of trials and tribulations but we definately have no regrets. Currently back in UK for an unplanned Christmas visit, looking forward to coming 'home' on Jan 7th.
Good luck to you, I will be thinking of you...
Lorraine G XX
Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Strange, but exciting isn't it. We will move in the summer to NS (after exam time and when the house has hopefully sold). Hope all goes well for you too Lorraine. Going 'home next week eh?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, the first two days were hard and I don't know how I managed not to get on a plane home. Instead I called home and it was just nice to talk to someone and using the net has been a little lifesaver also. I went out to a bar last night, to see in the first new year in Vancouver and so now I have a little hangover! I also managed to get an apartment yesterday and should be picking up the keys on Monday. I will stay in the hotel until the 15th, as this gives me time to get things for it. So now time to start getting the important things done, like SIN, Medical, PR Card and Bank Account.......oh and a job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.