Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Argos & Robert Dyas equivalent

Argos & Robert Dyas equivalent

Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

gino_76ph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Argos & Robert Dyas equivalent

hi. i will be in Canada in 4 months time and i'm looking for a shop which is equivalent to Argos & Robert Dyas wherein i can mainly buy any household goods for my flat.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

mayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud of
Default Re: Argos & Robert Dyas equivalent

Try www.flyermall.com or www.flyerland.ca
for some ideas.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

they are more like a coupons site. i need a store that you just order then buy the thing right inside the store like Argos or similar to Robert Dyas
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.sears.ca/gp/home.html
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago there was an ARGO type operation in Canada, but no more. I had a look at the Robert Dyas website and the closest thing I can think of here is Canadian Tire which is coast to coast.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Years ago there was an ARGO type operation in Canada, but no more.
Aah you filled in the gaps with that comment...was it Consumers Distributing?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:04 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Aah you filled in the gaps with that comment...was it Consumers Distributing?
Yep, that was it. I could remember Consumers but no more. It was a useless organization. It seemed to me that almost everything I went to buy was out of stock.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:06 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again - don't see the need/point of Argos in Canada, if you want a shop that carries that kind of range, then you just build one. Plenty of space and no need for the catalogue system...
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:45 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again - don't see the need/point of Argos in Canada, if you want a shop that carries that kind of range, then you just build one. Plenty of space and no need for the catalogue system...
Price and choice would be a compelling argument for an Argos. Ordering from the Sears catalogue, the closest thing we have to Argos in the West yields the usual "Thank you for your order, that will take eight weeks until delivery".... hardly offers the same convenience factor. The large box outlets all sell the same tat from the same suppliers.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:50 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

home hardware here seems similar to robert dyas.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:00 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

HH is a franchise owned chain. Depends where you you are, but closer to Van = wider selection of the same tat sold by Crappy Tire. Their suppliers are owned by the same parent company.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

are they cheap as well?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

are their prices as "affordable" as Argos or say B&Q? do they have big retail stores and high street shops as well?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gino_76ph
are their prices as "affordable" as Argos or say B&Q? do they have big retail stores and high street shops as well?
Have you been to Canada? "High Streets" in a shopping sense simply don't exist
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Most big stores sell EVERYTHING... and I mean everything. You can get groceries and car parts, furniture, lawnmowers, electricals, sports equipment, pet care (getting the picture here?) all from one store. Stores that spring to mind are:
Zellers
Walmart
Canadian Superstore
Canadian Tire (no groceries)
Costco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.