Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Areas commutable to Halifax, NS

Areas commutable to Halifax, NS

Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Areas commutable to Halifax, NS

In September we will be heading to Canada on recce trip/holiday no. 4 to have a look around NS and NB. Due to our professions (defence/aerospace project manager and lawyer), Halifax looks like a good option for our lines of work and there are usually several suitable jobs advertised online for me.

We plan to spend the first few days in and around Halifax and want to look at areas that are rural (to purchase an acreage) but are commutable to the Halifax area. I appreciate that different people have different opinions of what is commutable, especially in the winter months.

Schooling is also an issue for us (currently have a 2 year old and hopefully more in the future).

How bad are the main roads in/out of Halifax in the winter months (the 101, 102 and 103)? Enfield for example suggests a 35 minute travel time - is this realistic in rush hour in the summer and what would be a realistic winter travel time (on a 'normal' winter day - if that exists..)

Ideally I am most interested in the corridor between Halifax and Truro - are there any particular areas to avoid or particularly nice areas in this region?

Google weather suggests that in the summer months, the temperature is several degrees warmer than Halifax by being 20-30 km inland (i.e. Enfield) - is this accurate?

Initially we would look at renting in Halifax (to be near to jobs) for the first 12 months or so - are there any good rental sites for Halifax rentals, other than the usual kijiji?

Does anyone have any experience of Wentworth ski hill? Whilst having Big White next door would obviously be preferable, I am hoping that as a resort to teach the children to ski, it will be sufficient.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 12:26 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas commutable to Halifax, NS

The corridor area - Enfield up to Shubenacadie are easily commutable to Halifax, I live up near Elmsdale and used to commute to the other end of Barrington Street daily. It used to take me around 35 mins to get to the MacDonald Bridge and then 15 - 20 mins (sometimes 10 :-) ) to get from there to my parking spot at work.
The 102 seems to be the easiest most easily flowing highway into the city.
Enfield up to Shubie are all friendly places welcoming to newcomers. If you are in the aerospace industry you will find many others in the same line of work also in those areas.

In the winter they typically clear one lane of the highway first so you can keep your eyes on the webcams, also our local FB page "East Hants wants to know" has a daily road report where everyone comments on the roads and how good/bad they are.

I have only had to work from home due to the weather a handful of times each winter as they clear the roads fairly quickly.

And yes, it is warmer where we are, often significantly compared to the coast.
Wentworth ski hill is pretty nice but then I am not a confident skier. I really enjoy The Chikadee run, thats about my limit. They have the Bunny Hill too which is a sweet spot to teach anyone to ski.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
The corridor area - Enfield up to Shubenacadie are easily commutable to Halifax, I live up near Elmsdale and used to commute to the other end of Barrington Street daily. It used to take me around 35 mins to get to the MacDonald Bridge and then 15 - 20 mins (sometimes 10 :-) ) to get from there to my parking spot at work.
The 102 seems to be the easiest most easily flowing highway into the city.
Enfield up to Shubie are all friendly places welcoming to newcomers. If you are in the aerospace industry you will find many others in the same line of work also in those areas.

In the winter they typically clear one lane of the highway first so you can keep your eyes on the webcams, also our local FB page "East Hants wants to know" has a daily road report where everyone comments on the roads and how good/bad they are.

I have only had to work from home due to the weather a handful of times each winter as they clear the roads fairly quickly.

And yes, it is warmer where we are, often significantly compared to the coast.
Wentworth ski hill is pretty nice but then I am not a confident skier. I really enjoy The Chikadee run, thats about my limit. They have the Bunny Hill too which is a sweet spot to teach anyone to ski.
Many thanks for your reply Howefamily.

Do you have any knowledge of the schooling in the towns along the 102? Do children have to go to Halifax to find decent schools or does each town have a good school of its own? I have read many people say that school standards are more similar in Canada compared to the UK - would this apply to this area or are there schools that are considered better than others?

Can you recommend any local knowledge gems for restaurants in the area? Are there any good fish markets in the area where you can buy fresh seafood?

Good to hear you are enjoying Wentworth - from the pictures online it looks more than sufficient for a place to learn to ski.

Thanks again - appreciate your help.

Cheers
Old Jul 28th 2017, 7:26 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Many thanks for your reply Howefamily.

Do you have any knowledge of the schooling in the towns along the 102? Do children have to go to Halifax to find decent schools or does each town have a good school of its own? I have read many people say that school standards are more similar in Canada compared to the UK - would this apply to this area or are there schools that are considered better than others?

Can you recommend any local knowledge gems for restaurants in the area? Are there any good fish markets in the area where you can buy fresh seafood?

Good to hear you are enjoying Wentworth - from the pictures online it looks more than sufficient for a place to learn to ski.

Thanks again - appreciate your help.

Cheers
All the elementary schools are nice in the area. The high school is ok - its Hants East Rural High school, its coming out higher than some but the building is old which is a bane of contention for many. The middle school, Riverside Education Centre is pretty good, I have found.
I understand some people look online at rate my teachers: Rate My Teacher, Professor and High School on RateMyTeachers.com

People buy fresh fish from the Lobster Truck thats always around at the weekend and I havent heard of any complaints. And they will complain online at the drop of a hat, I have had to remove myself from some FB groups as I cant be reading it anymore

In Enfield there is Bitars which is very nice and The cup of Soul cafe is very sweet. In nearby Fall River there is The Turtleback Tap and Grill. Halifax obviously has lovely restaurants that I am happy to drive to and there are the Jack Astors, Montanas, Moxies etc in Dartmouth Crossing.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Schools in Canada are NOT the same as in the UK ............. you do not have to find a "good" school and then the nice area to live in.

Basically, all schools within a province have to teach to the same curriculum. Some school DISTRICTS are better than others ........... most often in the area of providing extra help to students with learning problems, autism, etc

Basically, find where you want to live, and the schools should be fine.

Our experience in NS has been drive around, pick a nice looking restaurant, and you won't go far wrong ............... even a little hut out in the boonies will provide you with an unforgettable meal.

Avoid "chains" or franchises with a vengeance!

Don't forget to go to Halls Harbour Lobster Pound, pick a lobster out of the tank, find a picnic table outside looking over the harbour, and wait for them to cook it and bring it to you or call your number. Sit there and watch the incredible tides of the Bay of Fundy .......... sometimes as much as 53' (feet) between low and high water, and commonly 30-40' and up

heaven on earth :nod"

https://www.hallsharbourlobster.com/

Last edited by scilly; Jul 29th 2017 at 3:53 am.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 3:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...lovely restaurants that I am happy to drive to and there are the Jack Astors, Montanas, Moxies etc...
Originally Posted by scilly
Avoid "chains" or franchises with a vengeance!
It depends on what you want which could be influenced by mood or who you're with.

I'm not a fan of East Side Mario's but Montana's can be good if what you want is steak and burgers that are more than just a hamburger or a steak.

There are plenty of independent restaurants - anywhere - where a steak is just a steak and the service ordinary, while a steak sandwich may be unique gourmet experience in a franchise operation with good service.

Of course if you're not after a steak then independent is probably the way to go but even then some indies will be exactly like a franchise once inside looking at the menu.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 2:55 pm
Happy

Don't forget to go to Halls Harbour Lobster Pound, pick a lobster out of the tank, find a picnic table outside looking over the harbour, and wait for them to cook it and bring it to you or call your number. Sit there and watch the incredible tides of the Bay of Fundy .......... sometimes as much as 53' (feet) between low and high water, and commonly 30-40' and up

heaven on earth :nod"

https://www.hallsharbourlobster.com/
I have to check this place out!!!
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I have to check this place out!!!
Most definitely!

I only regret that we haven't been over there in the summer/fall for several years. It's not exactly the best place to go in mid-December

Plus ................ if you have anyone who hates lobster in the party (my s-i-l!!), you can get a hamburger. He said that was pretty decent
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 12:36 pm
Happy

Most definitely!

I only regret that we haven't been over there in the summer/fall for several years. It's not exactly the best place to go in mid-December

Plus ................ if you have anyone who hates lobster in the party (my s-i-l!!), you can get a hamburger. He said that was pretty decent
I dont care for lobster either but I looked at the menu and theres lots there that I want to try
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I love lobster ............ especially as fresh as that is. Used to just have melted butter with it, now have lemon, nothing fancy mucking it up

Apart from the food, Halls Harbour is one of those old style small harbours on the Bay of Fundy. You'll be amazed at the size of the harbour and the difference between the boats tied up to the dock at high tide, and on the muddy bottom at low tide.

You might not want to stay for the 6 hours to see boats on the bottom reach the height of the dock (or vice versa) .... but it is amazing!!