Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:03 am
Banned

Rubeus Hagrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

Hello everyone. I'm 21, desperate to move.

I live in Britain, I have no GCSE's.

I really, really want to move to Canada, so much so that I want to find an apprenticeship that I can do that will get me into Canada a few years down the line, and that I can do with no work or school experience.

Thanks very much for the interest and help.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

Originally Posted by Rubeus Hagrid
Hello everyone. I'm 21, desperate to move.

I live in Britain, I have no GCSE's.

I really, really want to move to Canada, so much so that I want to find an apprenticeship that I can do that will get me into Canada a few years down the line, and that I can do with no work or school experience.

Thanks very much for the interest and help.
Most trades will help get work in Canada. To challenge the trades exams in Canada, you'll need 9000 hours of experience that you can prove. This is about 5 years full time (apprenticeship work time counts toward this).

What trades will be in demand in 5+ years, probably most, but only time will tell. An apprenticed trade won't get you into Canada though, you'll need a job offer for that.

I would undertake a trade you like, rather than just doing something for 5+ years because it might help get you into Canada.

A good place to start would talk to someone in the trades schools in the UK.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Aviator
Most trades will help get work in Canada. To challenge the trades exams in Canada, you'll need 9000 hours of experience that you can prove. This is about 5 years full time (apprenticeship work time counts toward this).

What trades will be in demand in 5+ years, probably most, but only time will tell. An apprenticed trade won't get you into Canada though, you'll need a job offer for that.

I would undertake a trade you like, rather than just doing something for 5+ years because it might help get you into Canada.

A good place to start would talk to someone in the trades schools in the UK.
Thanks for the reply.

So you're saying that I could talk openly to someone at a trade school about hoping to immigrate? They don't get funny about that kind of things?

So if in five years my line of work isn't needed in Canada, I'm SOL?

Will it be hard to get an apprenticeships with no qualifications?

What exactly IS a trad school? And would I be eligible?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

So you're saying that I could talk openly to someone at a trade school about hoping to immigrate? They don't get funny about that kind of things?
No, they would have no idea about emigrating and what is going to be in demand in Canada. You would talk to them about getting onto a trade apprenticeship in the UK and what requirements there are. These are two completely separate issues. 1. Getting a trade qualification & 2. Whether your trade is in demand in Canada in 5+ years. Look at them individually, do a trade to get a job, if this gets you into Canada later on, good for you, but I would not go into a trade just to immigrate to Canada, as I said before, do something that interests you. If your trade does not achieve your goal of immigration, would you continue doing it as a job if you cannot immigrate? If your answer is 'no' then don't bother doing it at all.

So if in five years my line of work isn't needed in Canada, I'm SOL?
That's about the strength of it. If I knew the answer to this, I'd be out buying a 649 tonight!

Will it be hard to get an apprenticeships with no qualifications?
That is why you need to go to a trade school and talk to them.

What exactly IS a trad school? And would I be eligible?
A school that educates you in a trade (in the UK it may be technical college?). For eligibility, as above, you'll have to go and ask them.

Last edited by Aviator; Apr 27th 2015 at 1:59 am.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:23 am
Banned

Some good advice, thank you. Also some important information.

You talk about going for an apprenticeship/job I feel happy doing, which is great advice. I do however think that I'm in absolutely no position to nitpick, for a job in this country is very difficult to find, even for people who've just left university!

But I got in a bit of trouble last time for veering off-topic, so back to immigration...

Knowing my luck.. My apprenticeship won't be needed in Canada in a few years, and Britain will vote itself out of the European Union, so I'll be stuck in miserable England lol! Is there any other important things to know about immigrating to Canada, or even immigrating at all? Thanks.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Some good advice, thank you. Also some important information.

You talk about going for an apprenticeship/job I feel happy doing, which is great advice. I do however think that I'm in absolutely no position to nitpick, for a job in this country is very difficult to find, even for people who've just left university!

But I got in a bit of trouble last time for veering off-topic, so back to immigration...

Knowing my luck.. My apprenticeship won't be needed in Canada in a few years, and Britain will vote itself out of the European Union, so I'll be stuck in miserable England lol! Is there any other important things to know about immigrating to Canada, or even immigrating at all? Thanks.
You're a 21 year old lad thinking of chosing a profession and spending the next 4/5 years learning a trade so that you can get a job to move here.

My advice? It's not worth the effort. Find something that you enjoy doing and stay where you are. Or save up some money and travel. The grass isnt greener. In fact, it's either brown or covered in white stuff for around 7-8 months of the year. It's a decent enough place to live, but apart from perhaps very close family, there is absolutely nothing here which would justify the time and effort you're thinking of investing just to get here.

My two cents.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:43 am
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

As your 21, have a look at the IEC? It's closed now but you could try for next time?
It's maybe a good way for you to come and experience Canada?
Here's the link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=gb&cat=
There are loads of threads on here about the IEC that may help.
Good luck !
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jericho79
You're a 21 year old lad thinking of chosing a profession and spending the next 4/5 years learning a trade so that you can get a job to move here.

My advice? It's not worth the effort. Find something that you enjoy doing and stay where you are. Or save up some money and travel. The grass isnt greener. In fact, it's either brown or covered in white stuff for around 7-8 months of the year. It's a decent enough place to live, but apart from perhaps very close family, there is absolutely nothing here which would justify the time and effort you're thinking of investing just to get here.

My two cents.
I'm going to use a strong word here. I "hate" this country. It's grey, it's countryside has been submerged in bricks and concrete, ugly buildings.. Chavs, pensioners, superficial way of life.. The weather!! I disliked everything about this country passionately.

If I can't move to Canada, I want to move. Somewhere.. Canada after all is a country that is made up from immigration primarily from the British Isles. Many of my kind have moved before, and many will move after I'm dead.

I presume you once lived here. You must surely understand what I'm describing?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:50 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

What you described can be found as easily in Canada as the UK... The bit about pensioners made me laugh... Those pesky old people get everywhere you know!

Seriously for six months of the year a lot of Canada can be described as grey, dull and very very cold... You don't need to immigrate to a different country, maybe try a different area of the UK?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to use a strong word here. I "hate" this country. It's grey, it's countryside has been submerged in bricks and concrete, ugly buildings.. Chavs, pensioners, superficial way of life.. The weather!! I disliked everything about this country passionately.

If I can't move to Canada, I want to move. Somewhere.. Canada after all is a country that is made up from immigration primarily from the British Isles. Many of my kind have moved before, and many will move after I'm dead.

Have you been to canada ?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Have you been to canada ?
Yes I have!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes I have!
Really.

Pensioners? Canada has a rapidly ageing population.

Ugly buidings? This is subjective, but communists would be proud of most of the government buidings here. Other buildings consist of strip malls. If you want interesting architecture, most of it is in Quebec.

Superficial? This place excels at it. Having no GCSE's is basically the same as not graduating high school. Try explaining that to someone here. See how seriously they take you.

I could go on. As I said, the grass ain't greener.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear!

Have you read some of the threads on here about how people hate Canada. They find Canadians superficial.

I have been here for almost 47 years, and love it .............. it suited us when we came, and it suits us now.

But it strikes me that you just want out of the UK ....... and that is not a good reason to come to Canada.

You say you have been here? How long did you spend here? Where did you go? What did you do?

A 2 week holiday in a country is a heck of a lot different from being in Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg or Toronto in the middle of a -30C winter, with blizzards.

You will find grey concrete buildings here ........ you will also find wide open stretches of green, but there will no-one living there for miles and miles.

My advice would be to find something that you enjoy doing, get all the training that you can in that along with all the documentation that you can to show you have completed all the training. Then look again at Canada, or Australia or NZ and see whether the training you have is a fit for the country.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Shelley Bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Rubeus, if you need to cast a wider net than Canada you could try Australia and New Zealand? I think they have working visas for young people which are easy enough to get? I agree that finding a way to get into a trade you enjoy is a good idea regardless of your long term plans. If you do that I am sure you will find a way of immigrating somewhere down the line, but you will also be happier in the meantime that you're working towards some sort of future for yourself.

As for your original question, how do you feel about cooking? Chefs, cooks, butchers and bakers are currently on the skilled trade list for Canada but even if the worst happened and they dropped off, there is often good opportunity for working abroad in hotels or chalets if you work in catering. Remember also the provincial nominee schemes will differ from the national ones, so if you're not picky it's likely that whatever trade you pick could get you into one of the provinces eventually.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Deal with your depression first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.