Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

APPLYING TO UNIVERSITIES

APPLYING TO UNIVERSITIES

Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:51 am
smy
Just Joined

smy has a brilliant futuresmy has a brilliant futuresmy has a brilliant futuresmy has a brilliant futuresmy has a brilliant futuresmy has a brilliant futuresmy has a brilliant future
Exclamation APPLYING TO UNIVERSITIES

Can anyone help with some info as my daughter who is studying for her Scottish Highers (Business Management, English, Advanced Higher Modern Studies, History and Politics), would like to know how she (daughter) applies for LLB Law in Canada (Alberta)!
thanks
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default Re: APPLYING TO UNIVERSITIES

looks like this would be a good place to start.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/

id be interested to see how she gets on, im thinking of going to uni to become a vet if i dont manage to get into calgary police. but i dont really have a clue where to start.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:01 pm
Stooodent

Chippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really nice

I'm applying for Masters courses at several Canadian Universities next month. I learnt absolutely everything I needed to know through studying the various websites and emailing the University departments directly.

Have a look here for a list of Universities in Canada: http://www.aucc.ca/can_uni/our_unive...s/index_e.html
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:26 pm

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smy
Can anyone help with some info as my daughter who is studying for her Scottish Highers (Business Management, English, Advanced Higher Modern Studies, History and Politics), would like to know how she (daughter) applies for LLB Law in Canada (Alberta)!
thanks
My son got into the University of Calgary (and Ontario ones) with his Scottish highers. ( he now goes to University of Aberdeen ...long story). From what I remember it was a very straightforward application - he completed application online, and had to send photocopies of his certificates. When he was looking at Canadian universities we found that the University websites have all the information you would need.
Good Luck
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smy
thanks
Isn't law a postgrad degree here? She'd need to do another degree (or at least a few years of one) first?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:55 pm
Stooodent

Chippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Isn't law a postgrad degree here? She'd need to do another degree (or at least a few years of one) first?
Nope, Law is offered as an Undergraduate degree also.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippers
Good news for Smy's pocket
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:49 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Where?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:12 pm
Stooodent

I spent 2 minutes looking and found it offered at both UBC and UofAlberta.

Edit: And after a quick Google:

Dalhousie University, NS
McGill University, QC
Queen's University, ON
University of Alberta, AB
University of British Columbia, BC
University of Calgary, AB
University of Manitoba, MB
University of New Brunswick, NB
University of Ottawa, ON
University of Saskatchewan, SK
University of Toronto, ON
University of Victoria, BC
University of Western Ontario, ON
University of Windsor, ON
York University, ON

Last edited by Chippers; Sep 21st 2007 at 4:18 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:20 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I spent 2 minutes looking and found it offered at both UBC and UofAlberta.
Spend another two minutes. You need an undergrad degree first - then you do the LLB. Total of six to seven years. Might be an idea to actually read the admission criteria on your list.

http://www.law.ubc.ca/prospective/llb/llb.html
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:28 pm
Stooodent

https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/program.do?fr...&programID=118

Looks like an Undergrad Law degree to me. Granted it's not the LLB (which is where I got confused), but I'm still partially correct.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:00 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like an Undergrad Law degree to me. Granted it's not the LLB (which is where I got confused), but I'm still partially correct.
A 'Bachelor of Laws' is the LLB. To get into an LLB program one must already have a bachelors degree. Though the LLB is called a 'bachelor' degree, in real life, it is a graduate degree... ie, one has to already have a degree to enter the LLB/'Bachelor of Laws' program.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Chippers, dear fellow, you might want to read the links you post in support of your point... the last sentence of the first paragraph of the program description in your link reads:
This is a three-year degree that usually follows a bachelor's degree in another field
So, while a "bachelor's degree", not an undergrad course of study. There have been several previous threads on academic studies, accreditation and practice for lawyers in Canada, and I don't recall any that have indicated that you don't need a bachelor's degree in another subject as a criterion for entry into a Bachelor of Laws program.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:01 pm
Stooodent

Well... I guess that put me in my place, then.

Apologies.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:19 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Well... I guess that put me in my place, then.

Apologies.

Don't sweat it... it's just cross-cultural confusion. Like me, Canadian just moved to England, when I asked the Marks and Spencer sales women if they could hem my pants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.