Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Applying for Nexus

Applying for Nexus

Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:35 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for Nexus

So I have decided to start the application for NEXUS.

I am just working through the application although address history, travel history etc I need to look at my previous PR application for that detail. It seems quite straight forward and I have not had any issues at customs or with immigration in the USA.

I know for PR applicants you need to have been a resident of Canada or US for 3 years. I have been a PR since July 13 2016 and resided in Canada on IEC starting from 1 September 2014 .

Does this mean I have met the 3 year residency obligations or am I waiting until I have 3 years as a PR or I become a Canadian Citizen?

Just dont want to waste the $50 if I'm not eligible right now.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for Nexus

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
So I have decided to start the application for NEXUS.

I am just working through the application although address history, travel history etc I need to look at my previous PR application for that detail. It seems quite straight forward and I have not had any issues at customs or with immigration in the USA.

I know for PR applicants you need to have been a resident of Canada or US for 3 years. I have been a PR since July 13 2016 and resided in Canada on IEC starting from 1 September 2014 .

Does this mean I have met the 3 year residency obligations or am I waiting until I have 3 years as a PR or I become a Canadian Citizen?

Just dont want to waste the $50 if I'm not eligible right now.
You must be a permanent resident of Canada AND have lived in Canada for three years (i.e. NOT three years of PR). I arrived in Canada June 2012, got PR March 2015 and applied for my Nexus in October 2016.

It's fantastic having Nexus to skip the border queues, but still having to get an I-94W is a pain. Can't wait for my Canadian passport.

Last edited by dominiqueincanada; Dec 12th 2017 at 10:04 pm. Reason: Adding information
Old Dec 12th 2017, 10:16 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
You must be a permanent resident of Canada AND have lived in Canada for three years (i.e. NOT three years of PR). I arrived in Canada June 2012, got PR March 2015 and applied for my Nexus in October 2016.

It's fantastic having Nexus to skip the border queues, but still having to get an I-94W is a pain. Can't wait for my Canadian passport.
Great thank you! - I should be ok then

Yeah I knew I would still have to go in for secondary to pay the $6 but I believe there is a separate NEXUS line inside as well or least I saw one at one of the borders I was at?

I think I'll get my application done and submit in the new year.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Great thank you! - I should be ok then

Yeah I knew I would still have to go in for secondary to pay the $6 but I believe there is a separate NEXUS line inside as well or least I saw one at one of the borders I was at?

I think I'll get my application done and submit in the new year.
Yep, there's a separate Nexus line. You can also pre-fill your I-94W online which saves time at the border(https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document).
Old Dec 13th 2017, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes in the office I went to there was a separate NEXUS line so it was much quicker.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
You can also pre-fill your I-94W online which saves time at the border(https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document).
I'm taking my mum across the border on Friday, so we'll need to get her I-94W sorted. Does anyone know if this saves much time? I recall that there can be a bit of a wait involved (but, IIRC, is more to with how busy it can be - but wondering if pre-filling this might help you get seen sooner?)

Also, out of interest, how long has this online option been available? I don't remember being aware of this option when I was a PR but didn't yet have citizenship..
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bgpz
I'm taking my mum across the border on Friday, so we'll need to get her I-94W sorted. Does anyone know if this saves much time? I recall that there can be a bit of a wait involved (but, IIRC, is more to with how busy it can be - but wondering if pre-filling this might help you get seen sooner?)

Also, out of interest, how long has this online option been available? I don't remember being aware of this option when I was a PR but didn't yet have citizenship..
I didn't know it was an option until one of the American border officers told me I could pre-fill the I-94W.

My parents went across in July and were (incorrectly) told they needed ESTA. The border officer forced them to sign up for it then and there. Having ESTA does speed up things however as they can transfer your details to the I-94W form.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:36 pm
Bex in the city

So I got my conditional approval

Now I need to book the interview and I can go to YVR or CBSA office on Main Street.

Would it be better to go to the airport or is there no difference.

Also any advise for the interview?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Main Street.

Do you have an ESTA? The officer asked me (as a then PR) to apply for one there and then. They may not ask you but I was asked.

Last edited by Snowy560; Feb 6th 2018 at 8:40 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:41 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I went to Main Street.

Do you have an ESTA? The officer asked me (as a then PR) to apply for one there and then. They may not ask you but I was asked.
Yeah I have an ESTA. It’s valid until September

Did they do the Iris capture at Main Street?
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:30 pm
Bex in the city

I’ve booked the interview at YVR. Only one month to wait