Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Applying for IEC Visa and looking at Toronto

Applying for IEC Visa and looking at Toronto

Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:22 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for IEC Visa and looking at Toronto

Originally Posted by chungyuk
Hey man!

How is it going? Yep I figure its now or never for me. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them as I sent off all my forms a few weeks ago. I've been told it could take up to a month to get confirmation of LOI (Letter of Introduction). I was going to go with BUNAC but I don't like the idea of being ripped off, but i guess if you want that peace of mind then I say go for it.

I'm most likely going later on this year around Sept/Oct time or Jan/Feb 2013 like yourselves. Let me know how you get on with your plans.

Steve
Do it!

I would suggest arriving in February. I think that is when the Job Market is at it's strongest and people have their hiring budgets for the year.

I came on my own. It's no big deal- you'll meet tonnes of people and learn alot.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Stephen47 will become famous soon enoughStephen47 will become famous soon enough

Yeah thats the idea James

Are you in Canada right now?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

ScarySquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chungyuk
Hey man!

How is it going? Yep I figure its now or never for me. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them as I sent off all my forms a few weeks ago. I've been told it could take up to a month to get confirmation of LOI (Letter of Introduction). I was going to go with BUNAC but I don't like the idea of being ripped off, but i guess if you want that peace of mind then I say go for it.

I'm most likely going later on this year around Sept/Oct time or Jan/Feb 2013 like yourselves. Let me know how you get on with your plans.

Steve
Yeah we did the same, didn't bother going down the BUNAC route. The application forms were fairly straight forward, and there's plenty of advice on forums and stuff to help out.

If you haven't already, check out the IEC 2012 group on Facebook, you have to request to join, but there is some useful info in there (and lots of random banter) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/iec2012/

Our plan is to go to Vancouver.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there are recruitment agencies to help you. You should also check out web sites such as dice.com and monster.ca. However, don't depend on them totally as it's nearly always better to do your own search and approach employers yourself (some employers will be impressed by that).

I once lost a job opportunity in Vancouver after there was a dispute between the employer and the recruitment agency and I was kicking myself afterwards for not finding the employer and making contact myself. You can supplement your own search with the help of recruitment agencies - but don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you do find your own prospective employers, don't let the recruitment agencies contact those same employers on your behalf.

Toronto is a great city to live and work in. I moved there when I was 24 and lived there for 7 years. I still go back to visit frequently as I have friends there and also my company has an office there.

Good luck!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Stephen47 will become famous soon enoughStephen47 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your useful info! I'm not planning to leave until Sept/Oct time or possibly early next year.

I figure the easiest way to find employment in Canada is to use the recruitment agencies and pop in and have a chat with them. Not to mention I can always use the websites that I've been told by someone. Where are the nice areas to live if one wants to work in Toronto?