British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Apartments on Craigslist (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/apartments-craigslist-822475/)

beckiwoo Jan 23rd 2014 8:31 am

Re: Apartments on Craigslist

Originally Posted by JulieDoire (Post 11092634)
Right I know that this is the Canadian section of the website, but as me and the BF still havent decided between Canada & New Zealand, we are looking at acc. in both countries, just to compare expenses etc. I know Craigslist is in big in US & Canada so I wana get some opinions on this email I recieved. I ask 3very straight forward questions - where in the city? close to shops? & what floor its on?...this was the response..

Hi,
Thanks for your email and it's my gladness hearing from you, am Rev Paul i am the owner of the property you are making inquiry of, actually I resided in the house with my family, my wife and my only daughter but presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in Philadelphia,PA in United State. Presently my house is still available for rent it is fully Furnished!

Meanwhile, i went for a Crusade in S.A and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in Glasgow for more details about the house, as she's with the keys and the documents of the House. Please i want you to know that we're kind and honest family, we spent a lot on our property's,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own! Its not about the money but its about who will keep it tidy all the time, so that we will be glad to see it neat when we come for a check up. I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word!

Email my wife Marjorie on ( snipped - email removed ) and she will attends to you better, pls make sure you send an email to both address.
Thanks and you are welcome...
Regards

to me this seems like a loada crap.. any opinions?

What bad English! That should ring alarm bells straight away!

JulieDoire Jan 23rd 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11093729)
What bad English! That should ring alarm bells straight away!

that was the first thing I noticed! then i read on and it just got annoying! :sneaky:

S_elliott52 Jan 23rd 2014 10:02 pm

I rented my apartment that I'm in now through craigslist, but I was in vancouver when I was looking for a place and was able to view apartments. The pictures on craigslist can be misleading, they take pictures from funny angles to make the apartments look bigger and when you go to view them they are the size of a hobbits house!!! I pay $1250 per month for a one bedroom apartment in the west end right across the street from sunset beach.

JulieDoire Jan 24th 2014 12:21 am

Originally Posted by S_elliott52 (Post 11094365)
I rented my apartment that I'm in now through craigslist, but I was in vancouver when I was looking for a place and was able to view apartments. The pictures on craigslist can be misleading, they take pictures from funny angles to make the apartments look bigger and when you go to view them they are the size of a hobbits house!!! I pay $1250 per month for a one bedroom apartment in the west end right across the street from sunset beach.

Yey, we'v experienced that when looking at student flats here, or they say aw that's ones rented but have a look at this! That's the kinda figures we are looking at to. Do you mind me asking whats included in your rent? like electric/heat/water/maintenance etc etc, cause some ads say includes all bills and others don't. Plus when looking at the acc. in NZ we see that they pay rent by the week, is this the same in Canada or is payment monthly?

dbd33 Jan 24th 2014 12:35 am

Originally Posted by JulieDoire (Post 11094521)
Yey, we'v experienced that when looking at student flats here, or they say aw that's ones rented but have a look at this! That's the kinda figures we are looking at to. Do you mind me asking whats included in your rent? like electric/heat/water/maintenance etc etc, cause some ads say includes all bills and others don't. Plus when looking at the acc. in NZ we see that they pay rent by the week, is this the same in Canada or is payment monthly?

It's usual to pay monthly in Canada.

S_elliott52 Jan 24th 2014 5:27 am

The rents advertised are per month. In my rent I get heat and hot water included, there's no gas in my apartment so I just pay for electricity which is around $30 per month. Each advert should tell you what's included in your rent.

JonboyE Jan 24th 2014 5:39 am

This is the provincial rental agreement. http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/RTB-1.pdf

Note that in section 3 it should state what is, and what isn't, included on the rent.

JulieDoire Jan 27th 2014 10:10 am

Originally Posted by S_elliott52 (Post 11095072)
The rents advertised are per month. In my rent I get heat and hot water included, there's no gas in my apartment so I just pay for electricity which is around $30 per month. Each advert should tell you what's included in your rent.

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11094534)
It's usual to pay monthly in Canada.

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11095101)
This is the provincial rental agreement. http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/RTB-1.pdf

Note that in section 3 it should state what is, and what isn't, included on the rent.

Thanks for the info lads, some of the properities we have been viewing online have hardly any info about the rent, some literally just what you pay. Would these be ones to avoid? Will have a look at that rental agreement, always good to know these things in advance ;)

ExKiwilass Jan 27th 2014 10:33 am

just be aware that not all landlords will require a rental agreement, and not all rental agreements look like that one.

ExKiwilass Jan 27th 2014 10:34 am

Originally Posted by JulieDoire (Post 11099895)
Thanks for the info lads, some of the properities we have been viewing online have hardly any info about the rent, some literally just what you pay. Would these be ones to avoid? Will have a look at that rental agreement, always good to know these things in advance ;)

show us the links

JulieDoire Jan 27th 2014 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11099926)
just be aware that not all landlords will require a rental agreement, and not all rental agreements look like that one.

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11099932)
show us the links

TBH i think id rather have some kind of written agreement, just so that we have some "rights" as tenants. We were looking at the properties on my BFs laptop so it might take me a while to find the links now, looking from scratch. Most of them would have been to dear anyway, we were just have a nosey, but i just couldn't help but notice some listed.. rent includes say heat/water/electric/bin collection bla bla but some were just a description of the property and then what the rent was per month. so was just wondering would this mean we'd have another bill in the door at the end of the month or is it just normal practice that alls included in your rent. See we dont want to assume cause the electric wasn't included in our rent for our student flat..

ExKiwilass Jan 27th 2014 11:09 am

Originally Posted by JulieDoire (Post 11099945)
TBH i think id rather have some kind of written agreement, just so that we have some "rights" as tenants. We were looking at the properties on my BFs laptop so it might take me a while to find the links now, looking from scratch. Most of them would have been to dear anyway, we were just have a nosey, but i just couldn't help but notice some listed.. rent includes say heat/water/electric/bin collection bla bla but some were just a description of the property and then what the rent was per month. so was just wondering would this mean we'd have another bill in the door at the end of the month or is it just normal practice that alls included in your rent. See we dont want to assume cause the electric wasn't included in our rent for our student flat..

well, the tenancy tribunal here is very overworked, understaffed and weak, so don't pin too much hope on the tenancy agreement.

it's good to not assume. though normally if utilities (that's what elec. etc is called here) aren't included they'll say so, i.e. rent plus 50% utilities, etc

Aviator Jan 27th 2014 11:29 am

Originally Posted by JulieDoire (Post 11099945)
TBH i think id rather have some kind of written agreement, just so that we have some "rights" as tenants.

The Residential Tenancy Act is your contract. A landlord must comply with this, whether you have a written agreement or not.

It is more in the landlords interest to have a written agreement than the tenants.